Med Schools Recruiting for LGBT students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the issue here really is communication. If you just keep getting screened for STIs without any explanation I would be a little miffed too. Just like when my only partner was female I got miffed about being lectured about not using contraception. :smack: if your doctor were just to say, hey I just need to rule this out first because of whatever reason I feel like the encounter would be much more positive.

Although I'm totally thrown for a loop by the transman thing. Maybe the assumption would be that his partners would now be men who have sex with men, therefore putting him at higher risk? Idk.

Exactly. Not, "Well this is what the statistics say about you people, sorry if I hurt your precious feelings!" There still seems to be a tone as if orientation is in some way a "lifestyle choice," and doctors should understand that that idea is something very sensitive to their patient.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly. Not, "Well this is what the statistics say about you people, sorry if I hurt your precious feelings!" There still seems to be a tone as if orientation is in some way a "lifestyle choice," and doctors should understand that that idea is something very sensitive to their patient.

Right. But clearly I'm being daft if I suggest any sort of training in med school for how to address healthcare needs in the LGBTQ community :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
Back on topic:

PCOM is very explicit about being equal opportunity without regard to gender identity/expression and sexual orientation. The language they use is among the most inclusive that I have seen.
http://www.pcom.edu/Student_Life/divers_1.php

I've seen a few others that mention nondiscrimination based on sexual orientation, but having gender identity AND expression respected is really impressive.

I will say that I did not mention my own GLBT status anywhere in my app or at the LECOM interview. I've rarely been willing to be closeted but I don't want something so irrelevant to my ability to practice medicine to be a point of consideration at all, either positive or negative. So much has to be communicated in such a small amount of time/space/attention. I think that having to address GLBT issues can be a distractor that leaves less attention for really important issues, such as my character, interpersonal skills, accomplishments, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Back on topic:

PCOM is very explicit about being equal opportunity without regard to gender identity/expression and sexual orientation. The language they use is among the most inclusive that I have seen.

I've seen a few others that mention nondiscrimination based on sexual orientation, but having gender identity AND expression respected is really impressive.

I will say that I did not mention my own GLBT status anywhere in my app or at the LECOM interview. I've rarely been willing to be closeted but I don't want something so irrelevant to my ability to practice medicine to be a point of consideration at all, either positive or negative. So much has to be communicated in such a small amount of time/space/attention. I think that having to address GLBT issues can be a distractor that leaves less attention for really important issues, such as my character, interpersonal skills, accomplishments, etc.

This took awhile to get back here :p.

(Although its important to have more lgbt med students)

Does that include PCOM ga (someone mentioned they weren't friendly)

I wonder about lecom since they are so formal what their stance is on the issue

Back on topic:

Thank you for bringing this back on topic. But I do think it's justified to mention your LGBT status if it's something that a) you want to focus on in your medical careeer/have done extracurricular activities relating to LGBT health or activism or b) you're answering a secondary question directly and truthfully (i.e. "What is a challenge you have faced?" or "What makes you unique?").

Reactions: 3 users
Does that include PCOM ga (someone mentioned they weren't friendly)

I wonder about lecom since they are so formal what their stance is on the issue

Georgia, except maybe the actual city of Atlanta, is not a GLBT friendly place, period. It is a part of the country where a lot of people have very strong opinions about their own right to judge other people's "lifestyles." While I would expect more openmindedness at a medical school, it would not surprise me to learn that the school might not be the most comfortable environment for GLBT students. I've heard its better than it used to be, but this is a big issue for me and my family, and I would be reluctant to apply there. I've heard that LMU-DCOM is a wonderful school, but I grew up in that area and I remember how being gay or trans exposed me and my friends to violence from locals. As much as I love that campus itself, I wouldn't go to school there unless it were my only option because I would be concerned for my personal safety.

LECOM? Erie is a small-ish town, but the people there were very nice and very welcoming. My partner and I toured the town and felt very comfortable there. At the interview, when we got to have lunch, I was able to sit with a student who set off my gaydar. I asked him directly about GLBT safety and his answer was swift and reassuring: "Stay out of the shady bars on the East side of town, but those aren't really safe for anyone. Otherwise, Erie is a live and let live kind of place. It isn't going to have the kind of social activities of a really big city, but there is plenty to do around town... not that you will have a lot of time for going out anyway."

I think any secondary application that asks you if you identify as LGBTQ (you can select "decline to answer") actively recruits for LGBTQ students. So far, I have seen Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), Weill Cornell, and Jefferson/SKMC do this. I'm sure there are others.

Also, I can't remember where at the moment, but I once read that something like 2-3% of medical students nationwide identify as LGBTQ. That's pretty URM if you consider around 10% of the population is LGBTQ. My guess is if someone identifies as LGBTQ in addition to having experience working with LGBTQ health issues, it would be a boost to this person's application.

Last edited:
Based upon PMS from successful SDN ers, U Chicago and JHU treat LGBT as URM as well.

I think any secondary application that asks you if you identify as LGBTQ (you can select "decline to answer") actively recruits for LGBTQ students. So far, I have seen Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), Weill Cornell, and Jefferson/SKMC do this. I'm sure there are others.

Also, I can't remember where at the moment, but I once read that something like 2-3% of medical students nationwide identify as LGBTQ. That's pretty URM if you consider around 10% of the population is LGBTQ. My guess is if someone identifies as LGBTQ in addition to having experience working with LGBTQ health issues, it would be a boost to this person's application.

This is a valid conern and why we also look for evidence of commitment to community.
Still, considering that gunners have always wanted to play the game, whats preventing one from actively volunteering in LGBTQ communities and stating that they themselves are of that community? Even if questioned later, they can say that their preferences changed as they got older (I'm sure there's a term for it).

Still, considering that gunners have always wanted to play the game, whats preventing one from actively volunteering in LGBTQ communities and stating that they themselves are of that community? Even if questioned later, they can say that their preferences changed as they got older (I'm sure there's a term for it).

That's as horrible as the people who are "totally half Mexican, just light skinned." It shouldn't be done, but it's certainly not new.

I don't know. It may depend upon how good one's gaydar is.
;)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know. It may depend upon how good one's gaydar is.
;)

I'm LGBT and my gaydar is absolutely horrible lol. I guess that explains my dating life :laugh:

I'm LGBT and my gaydar is absolutely horrible lol. I guess that explains my dating life :laugh:
Online dating seems high yield, at least for me.

And of all things you could fake in your app, faking LGBT identification is like the lowest yield.

If a person is intimately aware of LGBT issues and has demonstrated work within the LGBT community, then whether they are straight, gay, or pretending to be gay shouldn't matter. They are valuable.

Girls on tinder: "I'm only here for friends!"
Hehe, why is that even a thing on a DATING app. Clueless. It's like if I say looking for folks in the 50-70 range cause I need a new nanny for my kid. Uuuuh, care.com's that way, hip tech-savvy mom.

Reactions: 1 user
not sure about active recruiting, but from what i've gleaned off diversity statements, some articles i found while googling 'lgbt + school name', and a few med students irl, some especially lgbt friendly schools include upenn (actually publishes a percentage on their website, also long-standing history of lgbt advocacy), mayo, uva (winning awards for inclusion), yale, northwestern, brown, pritzker, ucsf (trust me on this one), u mich, temple, mount sinai, miller (transgender clinic at their hospital is incredible), einstein, columbia (lots of groups representing the wide spectrum of queer identities). Of all of these, yale really takes the cake with students and professors winning hrc awards for making active changes to improve lgbt health issues in their curriculum. i heard from a recent graduate that yale is sometimes called the gay ivy.

not sure about active recruiting, but from what i've gleaned off diversity statements, some articles i found while googling 'lgbt + school name', and a few med students irl, some especially lgbt friendly schools include upenn (actually publishes a percentage on their website, also long-standing history of lgbt advocacy), mayo, uva (winning awards for inclusion), yale, northwestern, brown, pritzker, ucsf (trust me on this one), u mich, temple, mount sinai, miller (transgender clinic at their hospital is incredible), einstein, columbia (lots of groups representing the wide spectrum of queer identities). Of all of these, yale really takes the cake with students and professors winning hrc awards for making active changes to improve lgbt health issues in their curriculum. i heard from a recent graduate that yale is sometimes called the gay ivy.
I know 3 grads from Yale, all gay. Can confirm "gay ivy."

That's as horrible as the people who are "totally half Mexican, just light skinned." It shouldn't be done, but it's certainly not new.
Not comparable at all. There are Mexicans that are completely white complected, yet they're still 100% Mexican. Don't forget we come from Native and Spanish roots.. we aren't all brown and short.

Not comparable at all. There are Mexicans that are completely white complected, yet they're still 100% Mexican. Don't forget we come from Native and Spanish roots.. we aren't all brown and short.

Also my best friend is Mexican - Ginger.... How so? Her family was left over from Napoleon trying to invade Mexico. There's a decent sized French-Mexican population there. But wait, there's more: Napoleon's army wasn't very French for a French army. A LARGE percentage of Napoleon's army were recruited from parts of the empire. There's also an incredible amount of Polish people left over from Napoleonic conquest across the world, including Mexico. In Haiti there is a population of light-skinned Blacks with blue eyes. Where did the blue eyes come from? You got it! Polish mercenaries in the French military.