Med Schools that Average Multiple MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rowjimmy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where on MSAR (online) does it tell you if the medical school averages multiple MCAT scores of the applicant?

First time I took it I got a 25P and was devestated. I had recently been diagnosed with lymphoma and was undergoing treatments during studying. I have reason to believe, among other reasons, this may have contributed to my original score. I took it over this year and got a 31Q. I'm happy with this score but worry that med schools will average my two scores. How do I know which schools average?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know if any will simply average them. You may get screened out at some in the very early rounds due to the lower score, but I believe adcoms tend to look very closely at an applicant that is not simply screened. They will see your 31

Where on MSAR (online) does it tell you if the medical school averages multiple MCAT scores of the applicant?

First time I took it I got a 25P and was devestated. I had recently been diagnosed with lymphoma and was undergoing treatments during studying. I have reason to believe, among other reasons, this may have contributed to my original score. I took it over this year and got a 31Q. I'm happy with this score but worry that med schools will average my two scores. How do I know which schools average?

Thanks!

Sorry to here about your diagnosis, that must have been incredibly tough to deal with during your study period.. you seem to have pushed right through it though.. that's awesome. They are always able to see all your MCAT scores but I guarantee you they will only take the 31 into account. The majority of people take it multiple times and many times have a much lower score the first time due to stress, pressure, or not enough preparation. You have a 31Q on your MCAT, forget you ever got a 25!

Members don't see this ad :)
You go to the school website and go to the FAQ section

Sorry to here about your diagnosis, that must have been incredibly tough to deal with during your study period.. you seem to have pushed right through it though.. that's awesome. They are always able to see all your MCAT scores but I guarantee you they will only take the 31 into account. The majority of people take it multiple times and many times have a much lower score the first time due to stress, pressure, or not enough preparation. You have a 31Q on your MCAT, forget you ever got a 25!

:thumbup:

A jump from a 25 to a 31 is a great improvement. Most schools will focus on your 31 and if there are any concerns, they will just bring it up during an interview. I'm not sure how many med schools actually average out the scores.

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm pretty sure the schools will look more closely at your new score. That's what happened with a few of my friends who obtained...below 20's the first time already. Second time around, they killed it..like you and they're all in medical school now.

Jefferson averages your scores. You might want to avoid applying there.