Med Schools that have a Crush on PCVs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceBrah

insufferable know-it-all
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whaddup friends!

Anybody know of any specific peace corps friendly schools?
Specifically low tier MDs and DOs

My top right now is Howard (I'm not URM) . I still have two years here to figure it out but it'd be nice to be able to read up on the 15 or so places I'll be applying to while I'm here. Plenty of time!

Members don't see this ad.

All schools look favorably on the peace corp. it won't get you in anywhere just because you did it. MCAT and GPA are king, everywhere, my friend.

Apply based on what state you live in and also apply to private schools.

Reactions: 1 user
IDK about that but med schools definitely have crushes on PVC pipes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pollution control valves?

Sorry, OP, I couldn't resist using you as a straight man!

Whaddup friends!

Anybody know of any specific peace corps friendly schools?
Specifically low tier MDs and DOs

My top right now is Howard (I'm not URM) . I still have two years here to figure it out but it'd be nice to be able to read up on the 15 or so places I'll be applying to while I'm here. Plenty of time!

Reactions: 3 users
I don't understand the fascination, from the standpoint of professional schools, with the Peace Corps, JET, Teach for America, etc.

As someone interested in international development, 99%+ of the articles I've read on the subject from professionals/academics shun these programs for taking jobs from qualified applicants in these countries, sending vastly underqualified volunteers, lack of lasting impact on the communities, significant opacity, etc.

Peace Corps does not choose organizations with that would replace able Host Country Nationals with a PCV. PCVs are not employees. They are there as an educated ( either with their bachelor's degree and/or experience in the field) second set of eyes to help guide orgs in the right direction. And that is only a third of their goals.

Your comment has nothing to do with the question stated. I was wondering if anyone had any schools in mind that had similar mission statements to Peace Corps. ****ting on Peace Corps is not what this topic was about and you know it. I've been kicking around the boards for only a few days now and I am shocked at the lengths people go to attack one another. Answer questions and keep your unnecessary negative comments to yourself.

Peace Corps does not choose organizations with that would replace able Host Country Nationals with a PCV. PCVs are not employees. They are there as an educated ( either with their bachelor's degree and/or experience in the field) second set of eyes to help guide orgs in the right direction. And that is only a third of their goals.

Your comment has nothing to do with the question stated. I was wondering if anyone had any schools in mind that had similar mission statements to Peace Corps. ****ting on Peace Corps is not what this topic was about and you know it. I've been kicking around the boards for only a few days now and I am shocked at the lengths people go to attack one another. Answer questions and keep your unnecessary negative comments to yourself.
I think Tulane and Rochester?

I don't understand the fascination, from the standpoint of professional schools, with the Peace Corps, JET, Teach for America, etc.

As someone interested in international development, 99%+ of the articles I've read on the subject from professionals/academics shun these programs for taking jobs from qualified applicants in these countries, sending vastly underqualified volunteers, lack of lasting impact on the communities, significant opacity, etc.
On the idea that it is better than nothing. Not sure why medical schools love this stuff as the people who go into this stuff should really be going into teaching, public policy, community programs, etc. Not really a logical connection between this stuff and being a doctor. It doesn't show you can get through the rigors of medical school in the least, apples to oranges.

In addition to Tulane, I think SLU and Creighton would be good. Both of those schools stress community and volunteering.

Thanks for the input on schools who have service based missions! I'm working in a restorative home for abandoned and malnourished children ages 0-3 and the local health center.

I understand that just because I see the value in Returned Peace Corps Volunteers as doctors does not mean that everyone else does. So instead of arguing with you all here, I'll save it for my interview!

Again, this was not what this thread was meant for, sorry for the confusion. Best of luck on your applications, I'm rooting for you from Uganda!

Check out Pathologies of Power by Paul Farmer if you have time! I'm sure most of you have already read it.

In addition to Tulane, I think SLU and Creighton would be good. Both of those schools stress community and volunteering.

Creighton came to my mind too. Really any school that has an emphasis on community service/serving the underserved.

I think Tulane and Rochester?

Rochester has a few check boxes on their secondary about types of experiences you have had. One of them is: "Participated in the Peace Corps, Americorps, or Teach for America."

Rochester has a few check boxes on their secondary about types of experiences you have had. One of them is: "Participated in the Peace Corps, Americorps, or Teach for America."
I thought I remembered seeing that!