Med Schools with Level 1 Trauma Centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebeatgoeson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm trying to compile a list of medical schools that have tight affiliations with Level 1 Trauma Centers. There's around 200-some of them in the States, but I'm looking for medical schools that have really great programs utilizing these resources.

Here's my list so far:
South Alabama
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
South Florida
Northwestern
LSU: New Orleans
Tulane
Maryland
Nevada @ Reno - center in Vegas
NYU
SUNY Upstate
Oklahoma
Jefferson
Penn State
Brown

Any suggestions? additions? deletions?

Happy 4th of July!

Members don't see this ad.

UT Southwestern and I'm guessing Baylor as well.

I'm pretty sure our orientation person for our hospital said that U of Colorado was the only Level 1 Trama Center in the state, because you only get it because you have a teaching hospital there as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can add UCSF to the list (they run SFGH, a L1 trauma center).

I wouldn't put much weight in my medical school decision based on if they have a level 1 trauma center. You can always do an emergency med away rotation at a top notch institution.

UPenn and NJMS have Level 1 trauma facilities.

West Virginia University

Hey y'all,

I'm trying to compile a list of medical schools that have tight affiliations with Level 1 Trauma Centers. There's around 200-some of them in the States, but I'm looking for medical schools that have really great programs utilizing these resources.

Here's my list so far:
South Alabama
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
South Florida
Northwestern
LSU: New Orleans
Tulane
Maryland
Nevada @ Reno - center in Vegas
NYU
SUNY Upstate
Oklahoma
Jefferson
Penn State
Brown

Any suggestions? additions? deletions?

Happy 4th of July!

I think Miami has one as well but the problem is that they don't have a EM residency because there was some violations some years back that caused them to be on probation. That's what a 3rd year now 4th year told me

University of Tennessee - Memphis also

Every school in Mass actually:

Boston University - Boston Medical Center (adult and pedi)
Tufts University - Baystate Medical Center, New England Medical Center (for pedi)
Harvard University - Mass General (adult and pedi), Beth Israel, Brigham and Womens
U Mass - U Mass Worcester

Anybody else have trouble finding a definitive list of trauma centers?

Here's a list by the American College of Surgeons, which allegedly does the certification, but it's missing at least 2 that I know of: http://www.facs.org/trauma/verified.html

OHSU (Oregon) and Harborview (UWash) are missing. Harborview serves 27% of the landmass of the US, so I'd say that's significant...

Albany Med is attached to the only Level 1 trauma center in the area. They send a large # to EM residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Arizona has the only Level I trauma in Southern AZ.

VCU and Inova Fairfax are the only 2 in Virginia

Vandy
Emory
Both schools in Houston (Baylor and UT Houston)
UC's
Dartmouth
Penn (huge level one trauma facility)
and so on

Here's a list by the American College of Surgeons, which allegedly does the certification, but it's missing at least 2 that I know of: http://www.facs.org/trauma/verified.html

OHSU (Oregon) and Harborview (UWash) are missing. Harborview serves 27% of the landmass of the US, so I'd say that's significant...

That list also is completely lacking in terms of listing such hospitals in Fl.

Tampa General Hospital affiliated with USF COM and Umiami's Jackson Memorial are both trauma 1 hospitals.

Add LLU to the list.

MCW and UW-Madison I believe

By the time we're done here, we'll have added half the med schools in the US!

Why does it matter if you are near a Level I trauma center? (This is a serious question.) What kind of training/exposure do you expect to get as a med student, that you would not get elsewhere?

Buffalo is affiliated with Erie County Medical Center which is level 1. I just got back from visiting Loyola and I saw their pretty cool helicopter parked at the hospital connected to the med school so they're also level 1

I think it would be easier to list the med schools that don't have Level 1 trauma centers affiliations

UAB also is a level 1....
Clinical rotations in the ED are available for interested med students here.

what hospital are LSU-NO and Tulane using that's Level 1?

Technically, neither LSU-NO or Tulane have a "true" Level 1 trauma center.
But we used to have Charity hospital which was world renowned for its trauma care. Currently, we run calls to University hospital which hasn't been open long enough to get its cert. (due to Katrina). Prior to University we were running calls to Ocshner-Elmwood in Jefferson Parish for Level 1 trauma (or Room 4 criteria as it was called before the storm).

I know most medical schools are teaching hospitals, and are in major metro areas with affiliations with Level 1 Trauma...

MeowMix -- I was seeking those schools in which I could get amazing 3rd and 4th year experiences in EM, because that is what I want to specialize in.

BTW, I took this list from those schools that actively noted their Level 1 Trauma Center status in the latest MSAR.

Just wanted to second the idea that this probably should not factor into your medical school decision. I go to med school at a huge trauma center and I'm applying for EM, but my trauma experience here was very poor as a medical student. Unless you are VERY gung-ho to go into General Surgery and thinking about a Trauma/CC fellowshiip I wouldn't even consider it. Those students looking towards EM would be better served by checking out schools with good exposure to sick medical patients.

Just wanted to second the idea that this probably should not factor into your medical school decision. I go to med school at a huge trauma center and I'm applying for EM, but my trauma experience here was very poor as a medical student. Unless you are VERY gung-ho to go into General Surgery and thinking about a Trauma/CC fellowshiip I wouldn't even consider it. Those students looking towards EM would be better served by checking out schools with good exposure to sick medical patients.
Seconded mightily....

I'm pretty sure our orientation person for our hospital said that U of Colorado was the only Level 1 Trama Center in the state, because you only get it because you have a teaching hospital there as well.

Actually I think Colorado is the only level 1 trauma center in some radius of the region. Not just the state.

This is slowly becoming a list of every medical school

This is slowly becoming a list of every medical school

No kidding.

Add University of New Mexico to the list -- the affiliated University Hospital is the only Level 1 trauma center in the state.

Not sure if you UT Southwestern is affiliated with it, but there is Parkland in Dallas.

That's where JFK was taken when he was shot!

Parkland is affiliated with UT Southwestern by the way. You should know, you LIVE in Dallas! :p

i do live in dallas, but i don't really give a crap since i won't be going to school in texas!

haven't really checked anything out w/ tx schools.

That's cool, then.

UT Houston is affiliated with Life Flight. Dr. "Red" Duke, the Dr. that came up with Life Flight, is a trauma surgeon at Memorial Hermann Hospital. I don't think Ben Taub, which is associated with BCM, receives any Life Flights for traumas (BCM people correct me if I am wrong). Also, Memorial Hermann has the only Level 1 Pediatrics Trauma Unit in Houston.

Am I missing something, or does Cowley Shock Trauma in Maryland not count?

I see that it's on the OP's list, but why isn't it on the FACS list? Oh well.

there are no level 1 trauma centers in all of new york according to this list

There's only one Level I Trauma Center in Illinois and it's not even in Chicago?
Am I missing something?

I was seeking those schools in which I could get amazing 3rd and 4th year experiences in EM, because that is what I want to specialize in.

A few things. #1, be open to the possibility that your ideas might change; do not orient your entire life around the EM decision. More than one hard-core EM devotee in my class changed their mind by fourth year, including the experienced top-notch EMT who was absolutely certain they were going into EM (surgery instead).

#2, an amazing third year experience is one in which they actually let you do anything. Our school has an amazing trauma hospital in town, but we do not do a 3rd yr ED rotation at all (4th yr elective instead). On top of that, there are so many people rotating through this hospital including EMT students and everyone else, that there is a lot of competition to do everything. I got more hands-on ED and trauma exposure at a small-town hospital (Level 2) than I did in the city. In a big hospital, you will be at the back of the pack of 20 people in any major trauma case. In a smaller place, you will see the trauma cases that are going to get packaged and sent to the city, and there is a lot to learn there too.

#3, you can do externships in 4th year and go anywhere you want.

The primary advantage I see to med school in the same town as an amazing trauma center, is that you can make a lot of contacts during 1st and 2nd year, do some research, find out if you really like the place, and make a better decision about residency there.

For those who really care, there are 4 Level 1 trauma centers in Colorado: Denver Health, St Anthony's, Swedish, and Children's, which are all in the Denver metro area.

There's only one Level I Trauma Center in Illinois and it's not even in Chicago?
Am I missing something?

Yeah, that list's wrong...

Add Loyola. I'm unsure about Rush and UIC because I don't know if the students there do rotations at Stroger or not.