Med Student steals Ipad...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I translate this as: "I've been rejected!"

Back to your regularly scheduled SDN thread!

I'm not surprised in the slightest. If you think most med school students and premeds have one iota of ethics, you're far beyond delusional and in for a real shocker in undergrad, med school or your future career. Medicine really has a knack for selecting for the absolute worst kind of people around.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
i'm glad you have had good doctors. IMO when doctors are good, they're okay, when they're okay they're bad, and when they're bad they're so horrible, they should be ejected to a new planet and be forced to deal with a thousand times worse than them. Other than that the med school admissions process basically selects for pathological liars, which isnt a great think to say the least when we are supposed to trust those bozos with our health.

With such a negative view, why do you even want to become a doctor? It sounds like everything related to medicine is dark, jaded and awful to you.

Reactions: 1 users
With such a negative view, why do you even want to become a doctor? It sounds like everything related to medicine is dark, jaded and awful to you.

in a blunt honest way that'd never make it to interviews: to work on fixing what's ****ed up about medicine and at the very minimum depriving one of those bozos a slot in a med school. if you're not going to even try the horrendous status quo isnt going to change. im not a complacent slacker tyvm.
I translate this as: "I've been rejected!"

Back to your regularly scheduled SDN thread!

nah, nice try lol. im glad everything is hunky dorry andeveryone sings kumbaya at a camp fire at your school tho :p.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not surprised in the slightest. If you think most med school students and premeds have one iota of ethics, you're far beyond delusional and in for a real shocker in undergrad, med school or your future career. Medicine really has a knack for selecting for the absolute worst kind of people around.

No..that award goes to musicians ;) particularly pianists and string players (save for violists..and bass players..they usually are alright).

Hmmm, you remind me of one of my best friends from high school, who wanted to be a filmmaker and change the world with his films. He literally went crazy.

This, I felt, was his theme song.

in a blunt honest way that'd never make it to interviews: to work on fixing what's ****** up about medicine and at the very minimum depriving one of those bozos a slot in a med school. if you're not going to even try the horrendous status quo isnt going to change. im not a complacent slacker tyvm.

nah, nice try lol. im glad everything is hunky dorry andeveryone sings kumbaya at a camp fire at your school tho :p.

in a blunt honest way that'd never make it to interviews: to work on fixing what's ****** up about medicine and at the very minimum depriving one of those bozos a slot in a med school. if you're not going to even try the horrendous status quo isnt going to change. im not a complacent slacker tyvm.

So far everyone in this thread has been well-behaved and civilized with the discussion, except you. What makes you think that YOU are not one of these horrible bozos that you're talking about?

Reactions: 2 users
oho oho says the penguin ;)

I'm also a tad bit resentful of her having been admitted into one of the top med schools.
9ce12.jpg
I don't get all this resentment. Seriously guys, it's just medical school. People need to learn to enjoy what they've got and not get so hung up on what other people are doing and where they are ending up.

Dr-zoidbergs-butthurt-cream-300x225.jpg

You might need some of this to go with your rejection letters.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmmm, you remind me of one of my best friends from high school, who wanted to be a filmmaker and change the world with his films. He literally went crazy.

This, I felt, was his theme song.

LoL. The theme song doesn't work though!!

Preach! Don't let the jerks keep you down.

Note to self:: don't steal deceased patient property.
I guess she figured you can't take it with you when you go, might as well be put to good use lol.
But for for real, chick is cray.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
patient dying from cancer and in the meantime doctor's wondering when she'll bite the dust so she can snag the ipad?
i'd expel the student, not so much for the crime itself but for what the theft says about her character.

So they arrest her in March and charge her with petty theft, grand theft of lost property, computer access and fraud in July? That seems pretty excessive to me. In my area, this would be a misdemeanor charge based on the value of the iPad stolen. Either way this lady must be an idiot for wiping out years of hard work with one mistake.

she might decide to transfer to a caribbean medical school like Caribbean Medical University and complete her clinical rotations through that school. A lot of US medical students who are kicked out of US medical schools go down this route.

I guess the linchpin here is that she hasn't given a detailed account of what happened, only the patient's family. I don't know, it seems a little ludicrous but then again, so does the idea of such a smart person stealing such an inconsequential item.

agreed. Also the article was in the daily mail - a tabloid newspaper that has been sued many times in the past for libel. Not the most factual source.

agreed. Also the article was in the daily mail - a tabloid newspaper that has been sued many times in the past for libel. Not the most factual source.

There's an article by NBC Los Angeles which states they located the ipad "days after the incident" whereas the Daily Mail makes it sound as if they turned on the tracker and found it within minutes...That changes the story quite a bit.

I've been MIA for a short while and haven't scrolled up this thread...but was wondering if anyone else has taken issue with the fact that the news outlets/media have released her name and picture (when she hasn't even been proven guilty yet?). Kind of annoyed by that.

I've been MIA for a short while and haven't scrolled up this thread...but was wondering if anyone else has taken issue with the fact that the news outlets/media have released her name and picture (when she hasn't even been proven guilty yet?). Kind of annoyed by that.

Um, they always do that. Proving someone is guilty can take a really long time. They show the photo, name and say so and so is charged with X crime.

Um, they always do that. Proving someone is guilty can take a really long time. They show the photo, name and say so and so is charged with X crime.
This is true. I've got nothing lol. I guess it's still bothersome to me though because that person's career and reputation is now permanently ruined, regardless of the final conviction.

This is true. I've got nothing lol. I guess it's still bothersome to me though because that person's career and reputation is now permanently ruined, regardless of the final conviction.

Well, I think if you are proven innocent you can repair a lot. Her crime is really petty compared to being accused of a violent or more serious crime. The justice system is far from perfect. For better or for worse

There's an article by NBC Los Angeles which states they located the ipad "days after the incident" whereas the Daily Mail makes it sound as if they turned on the tracker and found it within minutes...That changes the story quite a bit.

man some of the comments on that article... "She isn't supposed to start stealing from patients until after she has her MD." ughh I wish the person who commented that and all the people who liked it could be forced to live just one day in the life of a doctor or med student.

The fact that she (or anyone) who gets arrested is newsworthy. Her guilt or innocence isn't the news (yet), but the fact that she was arrested was. Hence, the media is allowed to print names of arrestees. I'll bet @Law2Doc can elaborate further.