Med Tox Fellowship App Timeline and Logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pure Anergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can any current fellows or tox faculty go over the timeline for applying for a tox fellowship now that there is a match? Specifically, it would be helpful to have info such as: when to submit apps, when interviews are typically held, etc. Here's the timeline I have so far based on this timeline for the Match itself:
- Mid/late August: Match opens
- Mid/late Sept: Ranking opens
- Early Nov: ROL due
- Mid Nov: Match Day

Next question: do you have to send a separate app to each program, or do you apply through ERAS? The Match website seems to suggest some programs do each.

Also, for someone who's been out working for a while, who do you get LORs from? I'm guessing your current boss/supervisor/chair, but do you still get one from your PD if you've been out for a while?

Any other "wish I knew then what I know now" kind of advice to give for applicants? Pearls and pitfalls? Thoughts about big programs versus small programs? Big cities versus small cities? Taking call? Moonlighting? Anything else you think future applicants should know?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, can any current fellows or tox faculty go over the timeline for applying for a tox fellowship now that there is a match? Specifically, it would be helpful to have info such as: when to submit apps, when interviews are typically held, etc. Here's the timeline I have so far based on this timeline for the Match itself:

Next question: do you have to send a separate app to each program, or do you apply through ERAS? The Match website seems to suggest some programs do each.

Also, for someone who's been out working for a while, who do you get LORs from? I'm guessing your current boss/supervisor/chair, but do you still get one from your PD if you've been out for a while?

Any other "wish I knew then what I know now" kind of advice to give for applicants? Pearls and pitfalls? Thoughts about big programs versus small programs? Big cities versus small cities? Taking call? Moonlighting? Anything else you think future applicants should know?
Can't write much now, and I went through pre-match. Am waiting on my current fellows to chime in with some useful info for ya.

Will write more probably in a day or so.

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Hey. Didn't forget. Kid's been sick, so backburnered. Likely update proper in next couple of days.

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey guys.

Again, sorry for the delay; and thanks for being patient/understanding. Here's what my fellows have to say:

Timeline looks good. You apply to each program separately. There is no ERAS, so you email each program asking for their application and then you email your application materials back to them. Then you apply to the NRMP for the match rank.

LORs from a tox person if you know them, your program director, and your mentor.

Make sure you ask the program what to find them under, as the categories are different. Furthermore, each program has different requirements, so we recommend contacting each program director to express interest and ask for specific requirements.
cleardot.gif

Also, the pool of applicants is small enough that essentially, if you apply, you will probably get an interview, so you should assume that if you apply to 7 programs, you will get 7 interviews and you may want to plan out your fall to make time for that. You also may want to plan to go to NACCT, as it falls during interview season, to meet with people in person there.

There are enough spots that if you really want a tox position, you will get it, but you can't count on getting your first choice. Many programs only have 1-2 spots per year. After the match, programs can fill their empty spots on a rolling basis.

Hope this helps; let me know if there's anything else or any clarifications you'd like and I'll pass it along to them (but hopefully respond much sooner this next go-round). d=)

Cheers!
-d

Reactions: 1 user
Timeline looks about right.

All of the spots go through the match, but your application goes through email. Check their specific websites to find the email for the coordinators to apply.

As for letters, I matched out of residency so I got a letter from my PD, APD, and the tox faculty member we have at our shop.

I can't say how competitive tox will be next year, but this year (and it looks like the last few years) there weren't too many applicants. I'm happy I got to see a variety of programs and visit a lot of places, but I could probably have saved some money on travel expenses if I had known that earlier. As for the programs, I think you need to get a feel (from their website, other applicants, other graduates, etc) for what the fellowship focuses on. Some are more research oriented, others focus on poison center experience, others on critical care/bedside tox. All depends on what you want out of your career. I'm just an incoming tox fellow, so take this with a grain of salt, but it's how I approached my application/interview experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you both. I have some updates to my own questions too based on my preparation to apply. Feel free to comment on anything I've said if you disagree or have more to add.

when to submit apps
The PD's I spoke to said that they typically start reviewing apps in July but would start accepting materials sooner. I was advised to have everything in by September at the very latest.

when interviews are typically held
Anywhere from July through October. It seems like August/September is the most common time.

do you have to send a separate app to each program, or do you apply through ERAS? The Match website seems to suggest some programs do each.
As alehar said, you have to submit apps individually to each program. None of them use ERAS. All of the programs I talked to will accept everything by email. In general, the programs want a personal statement, a CV, three letters, and sometimes other odds and ends like board scores, etc.

Some programs will still request a letter from your PD if you can get one. Others don't care. You have to ask each one individually. I'm not sure what happens if your PD is no longer at your residency program. Fortunately mine still is. I'm getting my other letters from my current boss and another colleague who is a tox person.

Anything else you think future applicants should know?
One thing I hadn't thought much about initially is that some programs are funded through GME, while others are funded through clinical work in the fellow's primary specialty. If you go to a program in the first category, you can still do some EM/peds moonlighting, and you will generally be paid for it on top of your fellowship stipend. But you don't have to do any shifts if you don't want to at these programs. If you go to a program in the second category, you will generally be required to work 4-5 shifts in the ED per month in order to cover your fellowship funding. You may be able to moonlight more on top of that to earn extra money, but you will have to do at least the minimum needed to cover your fellowship. Fellows coming from other specialties that aren't med tox sponsors (such as IM) can be accepted to GME-funded programs, but they probably won't be able to join clinically funded programs since they can't do ED shifts.