Medicaid not covering 31575

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBodacious

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that flexible laryngoscopy is "not a covered service" for Medicaid in my state... D:

Apparently they do not cover nasopharyngoscopy, either...

Is this nation wide? Anybody else?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that is really strange. Which state do you practice in? I'll ask some of my attendings and report back.

not aware of that here in Virginia. I average 40-50 scopes a month, while I clearly only do them when they are needed, you are missing out on a decent income (though obviously all 50 I do aren't on Medicaid patients)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in Michigan. It's one thing to take 40% of Medicare for visits, but to be flat out denied pay for a service that has significant extra cost and expertise is pretty bad...

I have heard this rationalized by saying that examination of the larynx/nasopharnx is included in the E/M of the patient.

It is sad because there isn't a public hospital system in my state. Michigan is planning on a big Medicaid expansion to low income adults. I was getting some medicaid referrals from a couple hours away, and I guess I see why.

not denied here (TX). . .yet