Medical Cannabis, UPA, United Patients Allience.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you believe cannabis should be made avaliable in the UK as a medicine?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

QueenoftheBud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, My names Alexis and I'm part of a social club (Hertfordshire cannabis social club) and the UPA (United Patient Alliance,south Herts division) which are striving to give up to date, truthful information on the benefits of cannabis both in the medical world and as a recreational drug. I've come on here today to A. start a truthful discussion about medical cannabis, B. To maybe answer any questions that some may have, in case you were thinking about using cannabis for the first time, as you should never start any drug before consulting your physician or stop any current ones for that matter. Please ask any question you have, all I ask is that you may be polite and respectful. Many thanks. I look forward to hearing from you all. Just a few facts to get you started.

Cannabis has been used for thousands of years as a medicine and a very good one at that.
Cannabis was only ever made illegal due to business, not because its harmful!

There is scientific medical evidence to show that cannabinoids are beneficial for the following conditions,ailments and symptoms such as cancer,MS,Fibromyalgia,Glaucoma, Dementia, the list goes on.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but considering I'm in the US, and not the UK, I don't see what my vote opinion of what should happen in the UK would count for.

I would like to see safer, effective forms of cannabis developed (say via inhaler, rather than smoking or oral) And I would like to see honest studies done on its effect for different disease states. I don't believe that cannabis is by any means a "cure-all" (I've heard some proponents claiming it "cures" all forms of cancer, all forms of pain, etc.--nevermind that this is physiologically impossible, since "cancer" and "pain" are catch all terms and have vastly differing subsets.) I have read enough to see that cannabis most likely has some beneficial effect on certain diseases, in the US, in states that have legalized it, its been pretty much "well nothing else is working for you, try cannabis".....which I don't begrudge anyone, if nothing else is working, then sure why not try anything, but what really needs to be done on double-blind studies so prescribers and patients can actually know what cannabis is effective for, and how effective it is for those conditions.

Very good point's in all areas, I don't believe it is a 'cure all' either but I certainly do believe its a better option than a lot of other painkillers/chemo/treatments etc that we receive over here. More testing is defiantly require, specially over here on the island! But our government don't want to be made out to be liers, so we're having to go through the 'Reefer madness' campaign again!! Newspapers full of lies!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You believe cannabis is a better option that chemotherapy for cancer? What are your credentials? What qualifies you to speak on this subject?

I'm a supporter of legalization as well, but you should choose your words very carefully when dealing with this topic. There is just as much misinformation and non-sense from supporters as there is from detractors, and the only way to gain real ground is to stick with the facts.

Recent studies have shown that cannabinoids can kill cancer in a laboratory setting, but that doesn't directly translate into being an effective medicine in vivo. Who knows, with increasing research perhaps we may develop marijuana into an effective cancer treatment? In the meantime, I think it is sufficient to point towards it's effects on nausea, vomiting, pain, and appetite as sufficient evidence for use.

edit: I wasn't trying to sound snarky with my credentials comment. I'm just trying to get a feel for who I am speaking with.

Reactions: 2 users
In vitro and in vivo are two completely different things. Bleach can kill cancer cells in vitro, but I dont really want someone infusing bleach into me if you catch my drift. A chemicals ability to destroy cells in a tube has nothing to do with whether it's effective in the body or even safe.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say yes for documented areas where it's beneficial, but only after non-biased or agenda driven clinical trials are done. So much buzz and hype over legalization that isn't based on science. Weed is not going to cure cancer, AIDs, or any of the other things I've seen touted on social media. I'd say yes for medical legalization after it's gone through any process a drug would go through for approval.

I'm not particularly against legalization, but I'm not for false science and agenda driven bias.

Reactions: 1 user
"Patients" will be rolling in for their prescription for cannabis to treat their fibromyalgia. I can see it now.

I'd rather them take medical marijuana than oxycodone.

They don't need to be on either of those in my opinion

This seems incredibly short sighted, many cancer patients I have met were in extreme pain from radiation burns and cannot eat due to the nausea it induces.

This seems incredibly short sighted, many cancer patients I have met were in extreme pain from radiation burns and cannot eat due to the nausea it induces.

I was referring to patients with fibromyalgia as previously stated... not cancer patients lol.