Medical Director vs Department Chair - ERAS LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. LeBron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference? One of my letter writers is the medical director of the department, but not sure if its the same as department chair. I am waiting on their response to the question so I thought I would ask you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The department chair is the head of the department at your medical school in the specialty to which you are applying. Someone at a medical company does not meet that requirement.

The department chair is the head of the department at your medical school in the specialty to which you are applying. Someone at a medical company does not meet that requirement.

Sorry I meant medical director of the department (e.g. surgery).

Sorry I meant medical director of the department (e.g. surgery).

Usually a "medical director" is someone who runs a facility. So an oncologist may be medical director of a cancer center. Sometimes it can be used interchangeably with "division chief," who is like a mini-chair of a specialty within the department- like the division chief of Surgical Oncology within the department of Surgery. In either case, while they are nice letters to have, those positions are not the department chair, and your ERAS application will require a letter from the department chair.

Reactions: 1 users
Usually a "medical director" is someone who runs a facility. So an oncologist may be medical director of a cancer center. Sometimes it can be used interchangeably with "division chief," who is like a mini-chair of a specialty within the department- like the division chief of Surgical Oncology within the department of Surgery. In either case, while they are nice letters to have, those positions are not the department chair, and your ERAS application will require a letter from the department chair.

Thank you.