Medical Liaison for Family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamesjohn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wanted advice and absolutely need to just ****ing vent. Right now I just want the **** out and just disappear to an island where I can sit and drink margaritas and sit on a beach with my headphones in and forget this world.

I have been having a really hard time lately. I am a 2nd year resident in EM (almost 3rd year now). I am about 16 hours from my family and can very rarely get home. My family is not even close to connected to the medical field and I have now become the medical liaison for my family.

My grandmother has pancreatic cancer and is in her last stages of life. I recently convinced my mother to enroll her in hospice because I really think this is the best way to go. Meanwhile my father was diagnosed with lung cancer and is ongoing biopsies, meeting with oncologists, and having countless doctors appointments.

My family runs every single damn decision by me. They expect me to know all the answers to everything and think I should double check every single decision that the doctors make (from 16 hours away). I tell them that they need to listen to the doctors since they know more about their specialty but I still get questions on whether my father should take X drug.

I answer calls from my family crying because of bad news that they received about my grandmother or father. I spend hours trying to comfort them and answer questions that they have. Every single doctors appointment my father goes to I get a call from my mother. I listen to her then my father (who is all doom and gloom) gets on the phone and tells me how bleak things look. I swear they then text my sister because she asks me the same ****ing 100 questions then starts crying and I spend another hour trying to comfort her.

Never, not once have they ever wondered how I feel. They all live within a 15 mile radius and see each other almost everyday. I feel like I am watching my grandmother and father die from a distance and I have no one to talk to because I feel like I'm barely holding my family together as it is. I really do want to be the go to person for my family but it has been a bit much for me lately. I broke down to one of my attendings tonight after my shift and he gave me some comfort but I know tomorrow I have to get up answer the same calls and then go to work.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that. Stay strong, your family definitely needs your support so make sure not to let yourself down

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Try running it will help reset yourself

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, bud. Been through something similar - no advice here, but I can relate. Good luck.

So I wanted advice and absolutely need to just ****ing vent. Right now I just want the **** out and just disappear to an island where I can sit and drink margaritas and sit on a beach with my headphones in and forget this world.

I have been having a really hard time lately. I am a 2nd year resident in EM (almost 3rd year now). I am about 16 hours from my family and can very rarely get home. My family is not even close to connected to the medical field and I have now become the medical liaison for my family.

My grandmother has pancreatic cancer and is in her last stages of life. I recently convinced my mother to enroll her in hospice because I really think this is the best way to go. Meanwhile my father was diagnosed with lung cancer and is ongoing biopsies, meeting with oncologists, and having countless doctors appointments.

My family runs every single damn decision by me. They expect me to know all the answers to everything and think I should double check every single decision that the doctors make (from 16 hours away). I tell them that they need to listen to the doctors since they know more about their specialty but I still get questions on whether my father should take X drug.

I answer calls from my family crying because of bad news that they received about my grandmother or father. I spend hours trying to comfort them and answer questions that they have. Every single doctors appointment my father goes to I get a call from my mother. I listen to her then my father (who is all doom and gloom) gets on the phone and tells me how bleak things look. I swear they then text my sister because she asks me the same ****ing 100 questions then starts crying and I spend another hour trying to comfort her.

Never, not once have they ever wondered how I feel. They all live within a 15 mile radius and see each other almost everyday. I feel like I am watching my grandmother and father die from a distance and I have no one to talk to because I feel like I'm barely holding my family together as it is. I really do want to be the go to person for my family but it has been a bit much for me lately. I broke down to one of my attendings tonight after my shift and he gave me some comfort but I know tomorrow I have to get up answer the same calls and then go to work.

Thank you for letting me vent.
Sorry, man. Residency is tough enough as it it, without having this happen. It will get better though, you're just going through a very rough patch, but a temporary one.

Would it help trying to tell them it's very hard for you to try to be their doctor, but you will 100% be their son and support them in that fashion, in every way possible?

I don't know...

Hang in there. It'll get better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
First, I am very sorry that this is happening to you. Families can be awesome and extremely frustrating all at the same time. :(

Secondly, I hope that your chiefs/PD know this is going on. If not, please go talk to them ASAP and at least let them know. There might be ways they can work your rotation schedule, for example, to help decompress things a little bit. Also, it's hard to imagine that all this stress is not going to somehow impact you somehow, and having help with resources sooner rather than later will be extremely helpful. And, they probably care and would want to know. :)

Wow, that sounds like an extremely difficult and sad situation.

I went through a difficult time in training (nothing as bad as what you are going through) and I made a few mistakes that you might be able to avoid:

1. I tried to "go it alone" and thought I could fill all the necessary roles. Things go so much better when I notified my program directors and ask for some help and support.

2. I didn't consider taking a leave of absence; and would have thought the delay would have hurt my training or career. FMLA or even a personal leave of absence would have been the best choice for me, by far.

Both of those mistakes may seem obvious to you or you may have already addressed them or they may not be appropriate for you situation...but I that's all I have to offer.

Hang in there.

HH