Medical license fee tax deductible for resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purulent DC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've saved my receipts for moving to my current residency in CA and I planned to deduct those expenses, but what about medical license fees? I just had to pay $815 to begin the multi-month process of getting my California license. Does anyone know if this fee is deductible?

Members don't see this ad.

I can help you here. You absolutely can NOT deduct your medical license fees (at least for you initial licensure). I quote publication 17:

"You cannot deduct professional accreditation fees such as the following... 3) Medical and dental license fees paid to get initial licensing."

Sorry,

Ed

edmadison said:
I can help you here. You absolutely can NOT deduct your medical license fees (at least for you initial licensure). I quote publication 17:

"You cannot deduct professional accreditation fees such as the following... 3) Medical and dental license fees paid to get initial licensing."

Sorry,

Ed

Thanks ED. I guess the evil tax man triumphs once again.

Just looked through that publication and could not find the reference you quoted. I DID deduct my license fees based on other statements in that same publication. Do you have a page numebr?

Snoopy said:
Just looked through that publication and could not find the reference you quoted. I DID deduct my license fees based on other statements in that same publication. Do you have a page numebr?

Publication 17, page 212, column 3.

Ed