Medical options besides being a vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspirevet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

At the moment, my goal is to be a vet. However, I know that this could easily change within the next few years- or I could end up not getting into vet school at all. What are some careers that are somewhat medical/ clinical that I could pursue perhaps in grad school that involves animals? I'll be majoring in Equine science so is there something I could do like equine sports med that doesn't require vet school? Any ideas?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had a classmate who left vet school and instead got a master's degree in equine reproduction. Last I heard, she was working for a large Thoroughbred farm.

@LadyOtheFarm, you have quite a bit of human repro experience, right?

And yes, I realize that may sound funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so there are MSs and PhDs that relate specifically to repro. The program I did could work for both human and bovine (or whatever other species I want really). There is an equine specific repro program here too. They occasionally used our bovine ovaries, but spent almost all their time on horses and ICSI. I feel like my program was a bit broader in scope and will allow me to go many other places (including the equine industry) and so I would suggest it over the equine version, but I like to know everything so it fit my personality.

There are lots of MS and PhD programs out there even outside repro (no need to grow my competition ;)) including in health and human services, nursing, every sort of lab work... anything you have ever wanted to do is there if you can find the door to walk through.

Oh, and since you were asking equine specific:

There are advanced equine training programs, equine sports medicine and therapy (including programs that don't require DVM... kinda like a horse athletic trainer/physiologist), nutritionist, ...

Pick a field. I guarantee you can find a job and find a way to relate it to horses.

Oh, and since you were asking equine specific:

There are advanced equine training programs, equine sports medicine and therapy (including programs that don't require DVM... kinda like a horse athletic trainer/physiologist), nutritionist, ...

Pick a field. I guarantee you can find a job and find a way to relate it to horses.

I read about a school a while ago that had an equine therapy major... They said it was literally a "major without textbooks" but that's probably too dreamy sounding to be true. I have a friend who LOVES horses who started out pre vet but decided she wanted to do equine therapy. She switched to psychology. So it'll be interesting to see what she does with that. I imagine a real life horse whisperer lol

Ok, so there are MSs and PhDs that relate specifically to repro. The program I did could work for both human and bovine (or whatever other species I want really). There is an equine specific repro program here too. They occasionally used our bovine ovaries, but spent almost all their time on horses and ICSI. I feel like my program was a bit broader in scope and will allow me to go many other places (including the equine industry) and so I would suggest it over the equine version, but I like to know everything so it fit my personality.

I didn't even know you could get a degree in just repro! Lots of learning opportunities! :D

Reactions: 1 user