Medical question from a student paramedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paragirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a student paramedic in the UK and I am hoping someone can give me an idea as to what was the likely diagnosis for a patient I went to. (I am not on placement for a few days and don't have any doctors I can ask in the meantime, plus the patient was transferred to a hospital too far away for me to go and enquire for a definitive answer).

The patient was 47 years old, presenting with severe upper right leg pain, in the hip and thigh area. It had started as aching pain the previous evening however was severe when she woke in the morning - 10/10 pain which had developed into what she described as a sharp 'poking' pain. There was no radiation of pain into the back or down the leg however she complained of numbness and significant reduced sensation to the lower leg and foot which was pale, cold and the pedal pulse was not located. Movement was present but with extreme pain. The patient also complained of dizziness, nausea and quite significant photophobia and developed blurred vision. She had no significant past medical history, no recent surgery and was not on any medications, no allergies, but was overweight. She had no back pain and no bladder/bowel dysfunction. The only other complaint was a slight headache during the night.

She had no history of trauma but had a recent viral infection/cold over the last 2 weeks. Her obs were RR 20, Sats 100%, HR 69, BP 121/85, temp 37.8C and BM 7.4. She was given entonox and morphine which had no effect. I later heard it was a suspected vascular issue but have no more information than that.

I am writing a reflective essay on this patient and so can look into the possible causes and can explore spinal problems/vessel occlusion/DVT etc but I was wondering what was most likely to cause the neurological symptoms. Initially when we arrived we thought it might be sciatic pain and perhaps she was feeling dizzy and nauseated because of the pain however it soon appeared that there was more to it and because my medical knowledge at this stage is fairly limited I can't really come up with the answer myself!

Any thoughts are appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pale, cold, pulseless lower leg and foot compared contralaterally? Sounds vascular.

Can happen despite the person's relatively young age for such a thing, and I have started 40somethings on a heparin drip prior to an emergent vascular surgery consult for exactly that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am a student paramedic in the UK and I am hoping someone can give me an idea as to what was the likely diagnosis for a patient I went to. (I am not on placement for a few days and don't have any doctors I can ask in the meantime, plus the patient was transferred to a hospital too far away for me to go and enquire for a definitive answer).

The patient was 47 years old, presenting with severe upper right leg pain, in the hip and thigh area. It had started as aching pain the previous evening however was severe when she woke in the morning - 10/10 pain which had developed into what she described as a sharp 'poking' pain. There was no radiation of pain into the back or down the leg however she complained of numbness and significant reduced sensation to the lower leg and foot which was pale, cold and the pedal pulse was not located. Movement was present but with extreme pain. The patient also complained of dizziness, nausea and quite significant photophobia and developed blurred vision. She had no significant past medical history, no recent surgery and was not on any medications, no allergies, but was overweight. She had no back pain and no bladder/bowel dysfunction. The only other complaint was a slight headache during the night.

She had no history of trauma but had a recent viral infection/cold over the last 2 weeks. Her obs were RR 20, Sats 100%, HR 69, BP 121/85, temp 37.8C and BM 7.4. She was given entonox and morphine which had no effect. I later heard it was a suspected vascular issue but have no more information than that.

I am writing a reflective essay on this patient and so can look into the possible causes and can explore spinal problems/vessel occlusion/DVT etc but I was wondering what was most likely to cause the neurological symptoms. Initially when we arrived we thought it might be sciatic pain and perhaps she was feeling dizzy and nauseated because of the pain however it soon appeared that there was more to it and because my medical knowledge at this stage is fairly limited I can't really come up with the answer myself!

Any thoughts are appreciated thanks!

Hi paragirl, a couple of things. First is on posting etiquette: this site has multiple forums, and the one you posted to is generally for U.S. residents (people who graduated from college, went to 4 years of medical school, and are now training for a specialty) and issues specific to residency. Your post would probably belong more in pre-allo, although they are likely to be less than helpful.

People are also (understandably) averse to doing your homework for you.

I'm a second year medical student, which is another way of saying "I don't know jack-****." Having given you that disclaimer, i'm happy to offer my (poor) assistance. When i hear "overweight middle-age female with unilateral leg pain and absence of blood flow," i think of a venous thrombosis or (probably inappropriately) a hernia. Knowing more about her history would help (Is she a smoker, does she take birth control pills, when did the pain come on, was there trauma/lifting, did she travel, etc).

Nervous tissue has a high demand for oxygen/blood flow, and so when the flow is cut off, it swiftly loses its ability to function. That's why your arm "falls asleep" if you cut off the blood flow, and you get that numb feeling.

Blood needs to be able to get in, and it needs to be able to get out. If it can't get out, it can't keep flowing in, unless it has some means to escape (either into the connective tissue, causing swelling, or out of the body by a wound). You can see this in a "nutmeg liver" or a red-infarct of the testicle.

When I hear "cold," i usually jump to artery before I'd jump to a vein, so I guess I'd consider some kind of femoral aneurysm too. Or a pseudoannerysm..

A dvt could occlude the femoral vein, and prevent blood flow from leaving. That would result in the absence of pulses/lessening of flow causing it to be cold. I'm guessing it would also be quite painful near the thrombus, especially on palpation.

Femoral hernias are more common in women, and more common on the right side. I don't think I've ever heard that they can compress nearby vessels, but I could see it compressing the femoral vein. My memories of anatomy are sortof shaky though, so I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.

I would expect it to cause pain that radiated down the leg if it compressed the nerve, but depending on the type of hernia (location) and the specific nerve, it might be contained to the groin. If the hernia only compressed one of the large vessles, it might block flow. I'm too lazy to look up all the sequelae of different hernias, but it would probably be easy enough for your essay. Medscape has a bunch of information.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like an arterial vascular occlusion in the leg + a panic attack to me.It's otherwise tough for me to connect all the symptoms. I suppose a very large aortic dissection could also give neurologic symptoms above and below the diaphragm along with a lost pulse, but that seems unlikely without some chest or abdominal pain in such a young person. Perhaps an embolic phenomenon. At any rate, in the ED she'd need a STAT vascular consult, an EKG and probably a CT angio of her aorta.

Don't we have some policy against giving medical advice on this forum? This probably doesn't qualify since it's a student asking rather than a patient, but....

My differential includes:
Phlegmasia cerulea dolens
Aortic dissection
Arterial occlusion
Meningitis (this can present with isolated leg pain and explains the photophobia/vague neuro stuff better than the others)

Most often this sort of constellation of symptoms is just status dramatics, but when you add in the hard exam findings my level of concern goes way up.

I'm not a policy expert, but this seems like a legit thread to me. Reads more like "what do you think of this weird case?" than "should my grandma sue this doctor?" "do I have lupus?"or "can you do my homework for me?".

Hi thanks to people who reply, I only posted on here as I was trying to find some kind of active forum with people who might have an idea, and certainly not to help me do my homework! I am just trying to see if anyone can link the symptoms so that actually doing some research into it becomes easier as I have spent quite a lot of time searching for what might cause both leg pain and neuro symptoms but I am coming up with blanks! I still have to do the research myself and reference it all!! My training so far has been one year of basic anatomy and physiology and principles of paramedic care. So any thoughts on it are appreciated!

Mycotic aneurysm with dissection into the iliacs.

Had one of these 3 weeks ago; dissection started at the aortic root, went up and over the arch, down and into bilateral common femorals, out into one of the subclavians and carotids. The extent was bizarre. Repair was just aortic root replacement and closure of the dissection entrance. Sure enough the rest of the dissection clotted down. Zero residual deficit. Craziness.

My money's on vascular occlusion (thrombus/embolism).

It could also be from an aneurysm (as others have stated).

I'm not a policy expert, but this seems like a legit thread to me. Reads more like "what do you think of this weird case?" than "should my grandma sue this doctor?" "do I have lupus?"or "can you do my homework for me?".

Agreed. I mean she is a paramedic student studying prehospital emergency medical care and isn't asking a personal medical question.

This forum seems like as good of a place as any.

I had a lady yesterday with a type b dissection that was spiral in nature that took off the SMA and the right iliac, leaving her with a numb, cold, pulse less leg. My bet would be dissection vs occlusion.

Dissection/clot as others have said...
But, perhaps the headache/blurred vision/etc could have been cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. Patient has lupus/Factor V/Cancer and for some reason start clotting things off, including leg and brain.
Or, Aortic arch dissection just went nuts - to the belly, the leg, up the carotid to the brain. Would be one of the more rare dissections, to say the least.
I think White Coat is probably correct; isolated leg issue plus anxiety/panic.

Mycotic aneurysm with dissection into the iliacs.

Had one of these 3 weeks ago; dissection started at the aortic root, went up and over the arch, down and into bilateral common femorals, out into one of the subclavians and carotids. The extent was bizarre. Repair was just aortic root replacement and closure of the dissection entrance. Sure enough the rest of the dissection clotted down. Zero residual deficit. Craziness.

Holy ****balls. My most extensive was from just past the LSCA takeoff to down the iliac and with a touch of femoral involvement unilaterally.

Yeah, my bad I guess. Thought about it later and realized there might not be a more appropriate place for genuine answers.

I usually avoid posting in here (just lurk), as I'm under the impression it was supposed to be left for residency/attending issues. With so few posting, it'd be easy to overwhelm the place/have a bunch of idiotic threads (like the troll post on how we'll all be replaced by vinod whatshisfukinface's new technological dildo).