Medical residency in France

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mak24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am 3rd year medical student and i want to try and apply to France to continue my residency.

This question might been asked before but I am new here.

Can someone plz help:$

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a US student, it's a horrible idea....finish your training and then travel

If you are a US student, it's a horrible idea....finish your training and then travel

I am not a US student.. But I am presenting my STEPs now ... I wanna try and apply to the US as well
Any advices?

Members don't see this ad :)
-where are you from? do you have passport from any EU country?
-what is your curriculum (med school, college, ...)?
-do you speak and write french fluently?
-which speciality do you aim for?

-where are you from? do you have passport from any EU country?
-what is your curriculum (med school, college, ...)?
-do you speak and write french fluently?
-which speciality do you aim for?

I am from Lebanon,
I dont have a passport from any EU country
I do speak and write french fluently: i was in a french school my entire life
what specialities can i get in?

Thank u

-the main problem with Europe is Schengen. If you have a Schengen visa/passport, you're free to go/work anywhere. Otherwise, it's just way harder.
-secondly, medical training is strictly regulated by the French government. To be allowed to study medicine you need to be among the top 10-20% of your 1st university year. +80% of the students automatically fail. It's a huge gatekeeper. If you haven't passed this first year, it's hard (or impossible I don't know) to be pursue medical training for a stranger.
-thirdly, all French medical graduates need to pass a board exam, similar to the step2. Based on your score, you may be allowed to choose your speciality (if you are in the top) and your hospital location. If you score low, you'll only get primary care in rural zones.

http://www.remede.org/ -> this website/forum will provide you lots of information.

My sister is already in france doing her phd.. Will that make it easier me for me to get a visa?
Also i rank 13% in my class
I am just worried abt the exam

Anyways uve been a great help
Thank u