Medical School and Cars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drumstix

Got room for 1 more if you still wanna go to Aspen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what kind of cars med students drive around, particularly those that have to travel far during weekends to visit home, or whatever else they're doing? I'm going to be moving about 8 hours from home, which is short enough to be able to drive for visits somewhat regularly and I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to drop $8,000 on a "fuel-efficient" car or not? Something like a Ford Focus or a Toyota Yaris, etc. Anyone have any experience with those types of cars? Any complaints?

Members don't see this ad.

get a honda civic and drive it until it explodes

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll find the same spread as the general population, but probably skewed right towards more expensive make/models. Definitely check out the auto thread above.

Will do, thank you guys.

@Microglia, regarding the more expensive makes/models, I take it it's because we're looking at cars as "investments?" I've heard that cars are the worse investments one can make since the second you drive off the lot, that thing's value just went down from what it was purchased for. I'll probably have this question answered when I get to go through that thread above.

Will do, thank you guys.

@Microglia, regarding the more expensive makes/models, I take it it's because we're looking at cars as "investments?" I've heard that cars are the worse investments one can make since the second you drive off the lot, that thing's value just went down from what it was purchased for. I'll probably have this question answered when I get to go through that thread above.

Haha not quite (though I'm sure some people think of them as investments). I was actually referring to the fact that most med students come from quite affluent families with the means to buy very shiny cars, go on expensive vacations, etc. I was pretty shocked by this, honestly.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Huge spread. Most common are the compact to mid size sedan probably about 5-6 years old, but I've seen classmates driving escalades, Audis, minivans, and rusted out pickup trucks.

Be smart and invest your money by saving it. Just buy a Honda Civic or an old Camry.

I don't think anyone looks at cars as investments, I believe the notion is that med students as a whole are skewed towards the more wealthy side, so as a whole their cars will be too.

Edit, beat me to it :p
The med schools in my area are full of everything in-between. And then you go to hospital and every surgeon and his mom has a Honda Civic.

Get a group of pre-meds to cart you around in a rickshaw.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend a VW Golf TDI. It's a great size, small but very practical, well-built, nice cabin quality and ride, reliable, and the diesel will get you 44 mpg with lots of low end torque so it's not totally boring to drive. Really it's got just the right amount of everything you need and will last you a long time.

Miata with an LS2 swap

No but seriously, Subaru. :nod:

I'm curious to know what kind of cars med students drive around, particularly those that have to travel far during weekends to visit home, or whatever else they're doing? I'm going to be moving about 8 hours from home, which is short enough to be able to drive for visits somewhat regularly and I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to drop $8,000 on a "fuel-efficient" car or not? Something like a Ford Focus or a Toyota Yaris, etc. Anyone have any experience with those types of cars? Any complaints?

1962 Chevy c10 pickup truck with a corvette motor that I restored :p = investment.

Of course, I also have my regular car and daily driver - it's a nissan. You'll be fine with either of those cars you mentioned. For less money and greater fuel efficiency you could buy a used motorcycle. Yesss!

1962 Chevy c10 pickup truck with a corvette motor that I restored :p = investment.

Of course, I also have my regular car and daily driver - it's a nissan. You'll be fine with either of those cars you mentioned. For less money and greater fuel efficiency you could buy a used motorcycle. Yesss!

You got too much @hubriz bro. lol. jk Thats amazing skill! I had a 1998 Pontiac Bonnie and drove it for 4 years paid 1,500. You can get a decent car for 2,000.

You got too much @hubriz bro. lol. jk Thats amazing skill! I had a 1998 Pontiac Bonnie and drove it for 4 years paid 1,500. You can get a decent car for 2,000.

I'm 31 and have (had) a good career. I'm at risk of losing my baby (62 chevy) as collateral to pursuing medical school and giving up my salary. You gotta give something to get something #sacrifice.

I'll probably buy a new compact car like a Focus or a Sonic. Cash for Clunkers screwed the used car market over, so it's not really worth buying a car with 20-30k miles so I can save a couple grand on a $15-17k car.

I recommend a Subaru Imprezza. If you get the standard model (ie no turbocharger) youll get 30mpg + on the highway and continuous all wheel drive for bad weather. They're also light/nimble and fun to drive. I don't think theres another car that will be as fuel efficient, as rugged, and as fun to drive for the price.

I recommend a Subaru Imprezza. If you get the standard model (ie no turbocharger) youll get 30mpg + on the highway and continuous all wheel drive for bad weather. They're also light/nimble and fun to drive. I don't think theres another car that will be as fuel efficient, as rugged, and as fun to drive for the price.

Subaru Impreza is a solid choice if you live in areas with crappy winter weather as it has standard all wheel drive. If not, I would look into a mazda 3 or mazda 6 depending on what size you are interested in. They are also known to be pretty reliable, sporty (much more engaging than a honda or a toyota if you have any interest at all in the driving experience), fuel efficient and inexpensive.

Good call on the Subarus, I haven't personally driven any but they've always seemed very rugged to me, just like you (and others) said @CircadianRhythm. I've driven Mazadas before and they're solid as well. I don't think I've had a VW Golf before but I've always liked them. I'll look into all of these and try to do a side-by-side comparison and narrow it down but these are great suggestions everyone! Thanks

That's my goal!!!! :hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:

Buick all the way. It may be more expensive on gas, but that there bench seat is COMFY!