Medical School and Relationships??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParkerDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am preparing to begin medical school in just a few short weeks, I have begun to realize that much of my "social" life has been put on hold to accomplish my academic goals. Thus, as I venture into the next phase of my life, I cannot help but wonder if there are many opportunities in medical school to branch out and foster a new relationship, or if it is even a plausible idea to do so. I already had a long term relationship that ended not so kindly, and I am curious to hear back from current medical students about there thoughts of dating while in medical school? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As I am preparing to begin medical school in just a few short weeks, I have begun to realize that much of my "social" life has been put on hold to accomplish my academic goals. Thus, as I venture into the next phase of my life, I cannot help but wonder if there are many opportunities in medical school to branch out and foster a new relationship, or if it is even a plausible idea to do so. I already had a long term relationship that ended not so kindly, and I am curious to hear back from current medical students about there thoughts of dating while in medical school? Thanks.
It's certainly doable, and I would say if you can find someone that is supportive can even be a huge boon for you. Unless you are one of a very few number of people, you do need some things outside of medicine to do and get your mind off of it. Finding a special someone can certainly do that. Even more of a plus is if they are willing to do minor things for you that can oftentimes become big stresses. The trick is to make sure they fully understand your commitment, and that they are willing to work around it.

You do need to be willing to make sure they come first at times though. It becomes a delicate balance.

Of course, you need to keep your eyes open and watch out for signs that you might be entering a bad relationship so that you can end it early. Getting too invested in a relationship that just isn't healthy can cost you a lot more than what it used to once you have started medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hm. I would like to chime in regarding this post. I've always wondered the same thing about sacrificing all of these possible relationships with such great people (romantic relationships being the ones that sting most). Is it worth it? etc. And I have had long-term relationships end badly b/c of all the complications involved with embarking on the mission of medicine.

Here's the thing. Medical school is a career that requires these sacrifices. That doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. Medicine is all around a superb career to embark on and it is extremely ambitious. But, you chose this path and so did many others. I myself have similar questions/thoughts though. Personally, having a girlfriend requires work and is demanding. So you gotta weigh whether you can balance it or not I guess. I am pretty impressed with the people who have a kid and wife and are doing school ha

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school is no place to chase tail. If your not currently in a relationship I would not rush into one anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say that at least 70% of medical students are able to balance a completely normal social life, a normal personal life, and school.

The people who have a difficult time with this stuff, are the most vocal though.

You will have time to date, drink on weekends if thats your thing, have friends, have hobbies, and maintain good grades. Its actually pretty easy to do for most students.

I had more free time as an m1/2 than I had in undergrad

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for all of the positive responses....it is certainly good to know that I can still maintain some sort of social life throughout school.

In any given year, I'd say about two pairs of students fall in love and get married in their first 2-4 years. And let's double that for those that become sweeties.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea, medical school is tough. BUT...don't stop living life. You're not ceasing to exist as a person until your training is over. Obviously don't go around looking for "the one" with every date you go on, but go on a date, meet people for a drink, do something normal every once in a while...Just don't forget to study.

Yeah dude! I met my wife while medical school. She was actually getting a masters in another program at my school. Met her at the beginning of 2nd year, now married two years with a baby en route hah. I just finished intern year. Just be open minded and don't try to force anything. The right girl/guy will fall in your lap

Yeah dude! I met my wife while medical school. She was actually getting a masters in another program at my school. Met her at the beginning of 2nd year, now married two years with a baby en route hah. I just finished intern year. Just be open minded and don't try to force anything. The right girl/guy will fall in your lap

Except when you move away from each other. Long distance relationship seems like it would be risky/rough

1) Remember that a break up can have devastating academic consequences if you fall in love with her.

2) Long distance would kill things in the future if it comes down to that.

3) You would need someone who's fully understanding of your schedule.

It's a difficult topic really because waiting till you're done makes it much harder to find something serious (good ones get taken early) but finding someone makes you face the issues I listed above.

Reactions: 1 user
The further along you get in the process, the more you wonder " do they like me because they actually like me? Or do they like because I'll be making a lot of money in the near future?" And some women just like to brag to their families that they are dating a med students, they don't actually like you.

The further along you get in the process, the more you wonder " do they like me because they actually like me? Or do they like because I'll be making a lot of money in the near future?" And some women just like to brag to their families that they are dating a med students, they don't actually like you.
That's probably quite rare to be honest. A lot of girls have the option of just dating a resident or an attending or anyone in any profession or field who is makes a lot rather than dating a student who is years away from $$. As for the latter... you could bet all your money that she's cheating if she doesn't genuinely like you.

Hustler101 wise words. It sounds like it's more difficult than not maintaining or getting into a relationship in med school

Never understood how people manage the long distance relationships

Long ago, in a distant land, a wise sage told me, "Focus on being the right kind of person. When the right person comes along, you'll know."

Love has an eerie way of dropping out of the branches like an Australian drop bear in pursuit of a honey badger.

Hustler101 wise words. It sounds like it's more difficult than not maintaining or getting into a relationship in med school

Never understood how people manage the long distance relationships
They manage it cause they both secretly get their physical satisfaction elsewhere. lol.