Medical school graduate dies in police custody

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oo Cipher oO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Man-Dies-in-Police-Custody-278143831.html

"Lashano Gilbert, 31, who The Associated Press reported was a medical school graduate from the Bahamas, died early Saturday morning, hours after being arrested on suspicion of carjacking.
Police say they were forced to Taser him twice, once when he resisted arrest and again when he attacked officers at the police station hours later."

I feel bad for the series of unfortunate events that takes a man from a medical school graduate to the edge of desperation. I don't know for sure but one can assume from the story he may have been a med school graduate that was unable to match into a residency or in some other way not complete his postgraduate medical education. Although this is rather dramatic this really does underscore the difficulty people in similar situations face when they can't complete residency. I really feel nothing but pity and am sad to see thier knowledge and talents go to waste.

Edit: less focus on school origin.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems more like he was having serious psych issues than acting out of desperation. I don't think the fact that he was an IMG has anything to do with this story. I mean you could argue it may have been a contributing factor to his psych issues, but I'm guessing we'd be reading the same story if he had matched and/or if he had attended medical school in the US.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems more like he was having serious psych issues than acting out of desperation. I don't think the fact that he was an IMG has anything to do with this story. I mean you could argue it may have been a contributing factor to his psych issues, but I'm guessing we'd be reading the same story if he had matched and/or if he had attended medical school in the US.

Being an IMG could be unrelated. I think his status as a medical school graduate is more telling. There are without a doubt psych/drug issues going on here. I just thought that the fact that he was able to graduate signified some level of stable mental health up to that point. I wonder what happened after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, I know it's good to know what's going on in the world, but how does it help to post something like that here? This person said he was hearing voices which is a sign that he had big issues going on. Is there an implication that going to Caribbean medical school makes you hear voices?

I say that because these forums ARE the primary resource for people, many of them young and impressionable, to get information about a medical career. Posting news stories that have a coincidental relationship to medicine doesn't help anyone and sours the headline topic names of the forum. And I don't like reading these things.

Although this is rather dramatic this really does underscore the difficulty people in similar situations face when they can't complete residency.

There is no evidence in the news article to suggest that he wanted a residency position in the US or that he did not get a residency position anywhere. A comment in the article states that the deceased acquired a medical license in Cuba and was in the process of becoming licensed in Canada, neither of which I care about enough to verify.

Last edited:
i wonder how much beating he got in custody

Relevant article. Shows that mental illness can effect anyone. Thanks for posting.
affect*

Of course it can affect anyone but according to your logic this article is relevant anywhere. I'd want to think it shouldn't be.

affect*

Of course it can affect anyone but according to your logic this article is relevant anywhere. I'd want to think it shouldn't be.
http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/affect-effect-grammar.html
It is appropriate to use the word "effect" if one of these words is used immediately before the word: into, on, take, the, any, an, or and.
  • Example: The prescribed medication had an effect on the patient's symptoms.
  • Example: In analyzing a situation, it is important to take the concepts of cause and effect into consideration.-------------
I actually think I'm wrong...
Oh well.
:)

Last edited:
*sees that story happened in New London*
im_shocked.gif