Medical School in Caribbean, or . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3ohnos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a parent of a less than stellar college graduate. I am an MD retired from clinical practice and have been trying to get some straight answers pertaining to what she claims is a viable career. I suggested she enroll in one of the Caribbean schools and not take student loans. She discovered podiatry and claims it is a terrific option. My experience with that is limited. I have been told so much has changed they are a fine career choice. I asked if they would be eligible for equal treatment under America's new ACA (we do not live in the US but own property where our child resides). I cannot get answers via the main podiatry.organization as they told me they will not talk to parents and if I wanted details to call another office. For my 200 thousand dollars I would expect reasonable forthcoming advises, especially from one of these organizations. Somewhat discomfited that this appears irregular. I don't want to buy a pig in the poke simply because my child was led to believe all would be dandy. I remain unconvinced that there is a future whereby she can graduate and find meaningful work. At least the value of an MD, from wherever has been consistent. The "we do not discuss this with parents," comment was disturbing .Vexed from Vancouver.

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably ask this question in the Podiatry section - they have a resident and physicians subsection and perhaps some of the academic faculty can tell you their opinions.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=152

Regards,

Leforte

Thank you for your reply. I asked that question in the podiatry section and was immediately banned as a troll. Further questioning via telephony revealed the following: they were oddly defensive, impolite, and inconsistent from podiatrist to podiatrist as to what the future might have in store in the US. I have discussed this with several colleagues, American, Canadian, and Europe, and have concluded this would truly be an unwise course for my child. In fact, one of my American colleagues suggested that a career as an Elvis impersonator would be more satisfying. Nonetheless, I will not franchise this endeavor. If medical school in the Caribbean remains a choice I will gladly pay her tuition. This has truly been an eye-opening experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. I asked that question in the podiatry section and was immediately banned as a troll. Further questioning via telephony revealed the following: they were oddly defensive, impolite, and inconsistent from podiatrist to podiatrist as to what the future might have in store in the US. I have discussed this with several colleagues, American, Canadian, and Europe, and have concluded this would truly be an unwise course for my child. In fact, one of my American colleagues suggested that a career as an Elvis impersonator would be more satisfying. Nonetheless, I will not franchise this endeavor. If medical school in the Caribbean remains a choice I will gladly pay her tuition. This has truly been an eye-opening experience.

If your child will enroll in Caribbean schools, best enroll in one of the big 4 SGU (1st choice), ROSS, SABA and AUC because they are the most well known and have 50 state approval. Also consider Irish schools.

If your child will enroll in Caribbean schools, best enroll in one of the big 4 SGU (1st choice), ROSS, SABA and AUC because they are the most well known and have 50 state approval. Also consider Irish schools.

Thank you. Those are some of the schools being considered. Thank goodness that by remaining supportive and suggesting research into that "other" field gave way to discovering what could have been a mistake. Now, if we could only get the recruiters to stop pestering.

If your child is what you term as a "less than stellar" college graduate, I think the more important question is what would make you think that they will ultimately be successful in either podiatry or medical school be it foreign or otherwise. While the admissions criteria is less stringent for the Caribbean schools, your child would still be held to same standards when it comes to the USMLE boards. In fact you could make the argument that they would be held to a higher standard. I think an honest assessment of what went wrong in undergrad is the appropriate next step in this scenario.

If your child is what you term as a "less than stellar" college graduate, I think the more important question is what would make you think that they will ultimately be successful in either podiatry or medical school be it foreign or otherwise. While the admissions criteria is less stringent for the Caribbean schools, your child would still be held to same standards when it comes to the USMLE boards. In fact you could make the argument that they would be held to a higher standard. I think an honest assessment of what went wrong in undergrad is the appropriate next step in this scenario.

I am just pleased that podiatry is off the table. USMLE or even licensure is irrelevant because this endeavor is a continuation of her general education. My apologies for not making an argument, but from one stranger on the Internet to another what "went wrong," remains personal and confidential. Success means different things throughout life.

I am just pleased that podiatry is off the table. USMLE or even licensure is irrelevant because this endeavor is a continuation of her general education. My apologies for not making an argument, but from one stranger on the Internet to another what "went wrong," remains personal and confidential. Success means different things throughout life.

I can appreciate your concerns. One of my children considered same. Treacherous lot they are. Amusing though. They are very secretive-almost a cult-and upon questioning retreat quickly, and become very defensive. I most certainly would raise an eyebrow to that field. Frankly I am surprised they are advertising here-as you can see their threads are sponsored by their parent organization. I imagine that many of our children are products of the MTV, instant gratification generation. But the obscure nature of that field makes Elvis Tribute artists a favorable option.

I can appreciate your concerns. One of my children considered same. Treacherous lot they are. Amusing though. They are very secretive-almost a cult-and upon questioning retreat quickly, and become very defensive. I most certainly would raise an eyebrow to that field. Frankly I am surprised they are advertising here-as you can see their threads are sponsored by their parent organization. I imagine that many of our children are products of the MTV, instant gratification generation. But the obscure nature of that field makes Elvis Tribute artists a favorable option.

Its way to easy to pin it all on "the younger generation". If the "younger generation" were all products of MTV and the instant gratification generation why are competition levels for hard working careers like Medicine and Investment Banking at record highs? Why are record numbers of people going to university? Why is it that Ivy League acceptance rates drop every year? It seems as though the "younger generation" isn't waiting for instant gratification, its really just your own child who is like this.

Its way to easy to pin it all on "the younger generation". If the "younger generation" were all products of MTV and the instant gratification generation why are competition levels for hard working careers like Medicine and Investment Banking at record highs? Why are record numbers of people going to university? Why is it that Ivy League acceptance rates drop every year? It seems as though the "younger generation" isn't waiting for instant gratification, its really just your own child who is like this.

Medstart108, my apologies. The generalization was somewhat pig headed. After forty years in medicine many of "our generation" look back and attribute shoddy parenting—our practice and patients always took precedence over family—came with a price, and that is an expense we pay. My comment was directed to 3, whose less than motivated child as my own share what appear similar characteristics—looking for shortcuts with respect to discipline despite the best of the best though out their earlier years—It is not about the money, I mention that merely because you mentioned "investment banking." and granted many young people would very much enjoy those things that come along with material success. However, earning, learning, and "paying your dues," seems to be lost on many of the children of those of us driven. Just some reflections on a Tuesday afternoon—no more, no less.

Medstart108, my apologies. The generalization was somewhat pig headed. After forty years in medicine many of "our generation" look back and attribute shoddy parenting—our practice and patients always took precedence over family—came with a price, and that is an expense we pay. My comment was directed to 3, whose less than motivated child as my own share what appear similar characteristics—looking for shortcuts with respect to discipline despite the best of the best though out their earlier years—It is not about the money, I mention that merely because you mentioned "investment banking." and granted many young people would very much enjoy those things that come along with material success. However, earning, learning, and "paying your dues," seems to be lost on many of the children of those of us driven. Just some reflections on a Tuesday afternoon—no more, no less.

I understand what you mean now. Sorry if my earlier comment was a bit abrasive.

I am appalled that you're omnibus statement disrespecting Elvis Tribute artists wasn't banned, censored, or edited out. By placing the ETAs in the same category you diminish the artistry of Elvis Tribute Artists around the world. The profession you're discussing is unlikely to exist beyond the next decade, but ETAs will remain a glowing reminder of emulators paying due respect to one of the greats. Please refrain from lumping those ruffians in with the fine profession of Elvis's followers. I would seriously consider reporting this balderdash to the proper hall monitor, but as you know that would be futile. Comparing podiatrists to a respected profession is shameful, please consider this in the future. I'm only kidding. One of my kids looked into the "mystery profession" too, and as a retired physician (MD) can't imagine how they've managed to bamboozle kids into their ranks at a few hundred thousand dollars a clip.

I suggested she enroll in one of the Caribbean schools and not take student loans.

So, what was the final decision? You are more than welcome to come to the Caribbean sub-forum to discuss, if you are still lurking/posting here. But, the cost of a non-financed Caribbean education is going to be closer to $300k when it's all said-and-done and everything is tabulated, not $200k.

As for the "MTV" generation and instant gratification, I blame this on the more recent phenomenon of "helicopter parenting". This starts as scheduled "play dates" when they are toddlers. Kids no longer have time to be kids and figure out stuff on their own. Their parents over-schedule them for everything, and the kids often become dependent on someone else to tell them what to do, where to do it, and when. We are doing a tremendous disservice to our kids when we scare them to death that all manner of bad things are going to happen to them, and then stand behind them at every step refusing to take off the training wheels. I think this is far more the problem than inherent laziness. We've raised a generation of children who spend more time on the internet than they do with their toes in the grass, and they get all of their information from outlets like BuzzFeed (which shamelessly fluffs-up stories and juxtaposes serious news pieces in a "soundbite-esque" format next to things like "why these 15 pictures of kittens will melt your heart"), that everyone is inherently equal in intelligence, talent, and ability (and we all should not only recognize that but endorse it as well, damn you), and who are terrified to play outside because, you know, 90% of the people in their neighborhood are probably sexual predators. The result? A bunch of 22-year-olds ill-prepared for the real world.

Good luck.

-Skip
Ross University SOM
Graduate with Honors, 2005
Board Certified, Anesthesiology

Reactions: 3 users
Skip beat me to my reply. Your child is not a child anymore. They are an adult. If they are considering podiatry, maybe they should shadow one. The podiatrist where I live do very well for themselves. What kind of physician does your child want to be? Do they even want to be a physician? They need to do the research and decide for themselves. I did not even consult my parents as to my decision about medical school or where I went.