Medical School in Italy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gus18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've posted to SDN several times about medical school in Italy, but most of the threads are outdated. I am a non-EU citizen interesting in attending medical school in Milan,Italy. I have completed my undergraduate degree in the US (all of the pre-health requirements) and I will be taking the MCAT this summer. From what I've found, most programs in Italy are six years. Is there anyway I could receive credit for the courses I've taken and accelerate a bit? Also, are the native programs more rigorous than the International programs? The schools I'm looking at are Pavia, University of Milan, and San Raffaele. Any knowledge about these programs? I understand that getting my medical degree in Italy would mean it would be difficult to come back to the states, but my intention is to live there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I've posted to SDN several times about medical school in Italy, but most of the threads are outdated. I am a non-EU citizen interesting in attending medical school in Milan,Italy. I have completed my undergraduate degree in the US (all of the pre-health requirements) and I will be taking the MCAT this summer. From what I've found, most programs in Italy are six years. Is there anyway I could receive credit for the courses I've taken and accelerate a bit? Also, are the native programs more rigorous than the International programs? The schools I'm looking at are Pavia, University of Milan, and San Raffaele. Any knowledge about these programs? I understand that getting my medical degree in Italy would mean it would be difficult to come back to the states, but my intention is to live there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Congratulations on completing your undergraduate degree and good luck on the MCAT's. To answer your questions:

1. Is there anyway I could receive credit for the courses I've taken and accelerate a bit?

From my experience, no, it is not possible. Remember that you are going abroad to become a doctor and it's all about money. They want you there 6 years for a reason, and that reason being that schools are always a business first and foremost.

2. Also, are the native programs more rigorous than the International programs?

In my opinion, yes. There might be those who will disagree with that statement, but from my experience it is true.

3. The schools I'm looking at are Pavia, University of Milan, and San Raffaele. Any knowledge about these programs?

One word comes to mind to describe all three: expensive. However the only school I can really give input on is IMS since it is my school. The professors are great, we work with one of the best hospitals (Humanitas), and the curriculum is taught in English, which seems to be the selling point for those who want to study in Italy but only speak English. I'm sure you've done your research and are already aware of these points, but I just wanted to confirm my experience. If I were you, I'd make Milan my top choice.

Just a side note, make sure that you definitely do not want to return to the states to practice medicine, otherwise all your studies will end up being for naught.

I would respectfully disagree with John.
1. What you are saying would be true for a private university (like San Raffaele) but not in a state University like Milan (although it's a half private program they have there because of this Humanitas hospital). For sure it's not the case in Pavia, they are really not chasing after the money here. I've seen a lot of guys here that got exemptions from courses, but to jusm to more advanced years one needs to have all the courses of that year validated which doesn't always happen.
2. I would disagree here too. Although it depends what is "rigorous" for you, but the English programs are much more up to date and just to give you one example in Pavia - in Italian course some profesors still use plastic slides for their lectures which were written years and years ago, while in English PowerPoint is the gold standard. Another point is that the professors that are actually capable of teaching in English tend to be more "in tune" with the latest research and developments in their field. In English we study with international and very well reviewed books, while in Italian it's not rare to have a book that the professor wrote himself and that was out just in 1-2 editions.
Overall I'm not saying the Italian programs are worse, but from my personal experience there are a lot of advantages for a foreign student in an English taught program (and for Italian student in Italian one)

3. This was a really misleading answer. Pavia's Uni really doesn't charge much. I dont know anyone who pays more then 3800 euro/year, and even in that case those are students with parents that both work as doctors and have two houses at least. I think Milan is also a good choice, you might pay much more for the studies and the rent, so if you are not stressed about money and like huge cities you have my blessing for that as well :)

I'm sorry John, but I would also disagree with your side note. :) He will just need to do the USMLE exams and he'll be a doctor in the states like everyone else.

By the way, just for my general knowledge, can you tell me the tuition fees in Milano Statale and San Rafaele?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Alex9913 on almost all the points, as I was seriously considering applying to the English programs in Italy too... all except the last point that MedicalJohn was warning about going back to the States to practice. What scared me today was looking at the State of California's list of approved international med schools. (I'm from Canada, but I'm sure the lists are pretty similar)
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

It says:
Warning: Some recognized medical schools that teach in their native language are opening English language medical school programs. The English language programs are not recognized unless specifically stated, e.g., "University of Pecs Faculty Medicine" and "Pecs University Medical School English Program (6-year English Program)." The English language programs must apply for recognition and receive approval from the Medical Board of California for the education received from the English language program to be eligible to qualify an applicant for licensure requirements in California.

And unfortunately, it appears that none of the English programs in Italy are approved. I just emailed the Uni of Pavia to ask if they've applied for approval yet...

However, the programs taught in Italian are recognized. I wonder if it's still true, that if non-native Italian speakers take the Italian admission test, they lower the bar for a passing grade (20 or 50%)? If so, it may be best to take the Italian program..

Hi,

I spent two years in Italy (1985-7) as a med student at the Universita di Modena, but I transferred back to the US as a 3rd year MS (after taking the MSKP exam). so I can't say anything about completing the MD in Italy and coming back to the US to practice. I can tell you that U di M, a state university, reviewed my US UG coursework and did give me credit for some of it. This was mainly for some of the 1st and 2nd year non-clinical courses in the 6-year Italian program. I was eventually given credit for these courses, but I did have to sit for exams (oral) with the Professors who taught them (they were in general, organic, and biochem and physics). As my Italian was fluent and I did know the stuff, it was fairly easy to pass. The exams were recorded on my "Libro dello Studente," which is the little "report card" where Italian students get their exam results noted.

This was more than 25 years ago, and U di M is a pubic university. Things may have changed, and "private" schools may or may not be willing to grant credit for US course work.:)

I spent two years in Italy (1985-7) as a med student at the Universita di Modena, but I transferred back to the US as a 3rd year MS (after taking the MSKP exam). so I can't say anything about completing the MD in Italy and coming back to the US to practice. I can tell you that U di M, a state university, reviewed my US UG coursework and did give me credit for some of it. This was mainly for some of the 1st and 2nd year non-clinical courses in the 6-year Italian program. I was eventually given credit for these courses, but I did have to sit for exams (oral) with the Professors who taught them (they were in general, organic, and biochem and physics). As my Italian was fluent and I did know the stuff, it was fairly easy to pass. The exams were recorded on my "Libro dello Studente," which is the little "report card" where Italian students get their exam results noted.

This was more than 25 years ago, and U di M is a pubic university. Things may have changed, and "private" schools may or may not be willing to grant credit for US course work.:)

Hi
I would like to get some advice from you or anyone who would have some knowledge or experience about my situation.
I'm Canadian and completed 3 years of medical school in Naples Italy in the mid 90's.After that, I never went back, for some stupid reason I could only blame myself. Anyhow, It was a long tome ago. I was wondering if any school( In the states, Europe) would accept these courses which I completed in Med school, or are these courses simply outdated. Any comments or advice on what I should do?? Thanks

Hi
I would like to get some advice from you or anyone who would have some knowledge or experience about my situation.
I'm Canadian and completed 3 years of medical school in Naples Italy in the mid 90's.After that, I never went back, for some stupid reason I could only blame myself. Anyhow, It was a long tome ago. I was wondering if any school( In the states, Europe) would accept these courses which I completed in Med school, or are these courses simply outdated. Any comments or advice on what I should do?? Thanks

If you wish, you could go back to the University of Naples, pay all the tuition of the years that you didn't attend and finish your med school in naples.
Otherwise, you could ask for a transcript and apply again to another med school in italy. They would give some credit for what you did and it would be cheaper. However, they are pretty outdated so I'm guessing they would make you re-take part of them.
Finally you could use them as prerequisite to apply to DO schools in the States. Obviously that would be the hardest process.
I Doubt they would accept those grades in the rest of Europe.
I hope this can help!

is it really good to apply for masters in medicine in italy! I have read about the criteria regarding the admission, some websites say, the courses provided there are not recognized, this scares me! is it ok to do masters from a university in italy and return back, i am from India. need help in deciding.

is it really good to apply for masters in medicine in italy! I have read about the criteria regarding the admission, some websites say, the courses provided there are not recognized, this scares me! is it ok to do masters from a university in italy and return back, i am from India. need help in deciding.

You need to ask India then about it all. If it isn't recognized in India then its useless.