Medical School in Spain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iActionPotential90

UVM Neuroscience
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been a rough 24 years (1990 baby here). My immediate family's home burned to the ground back in 2010, I lived out of my car for just about four months in 2011, and I am a first generation college student (also the oldest of my siblings). I have a total absence of parental support for my academic endeavors. I began college in 2008 as an international studies major, and switched majors numerous times only to come to the self-realization that I was on the wrong side of the academic spectrum. In 2011, I realized my dual passion for neuroscience and medicine. My academic pathway has been bumpy, primarily due to financial pressures. Finances have bounced me around relentlessly. I transferred to my current school for Neuroscience/Premedical back in January of this year with true intentions of making it my final stop. However, I had been put under the impression that I would be receiving a generous financial aid package for the remainder of my undergraduate career here, but such is quite far from the case. Transfer students are not treated too well here--we are not eligible for academic merit scholarships through the university, and this school is over $53,000/year for out-of-state students like myself. I would have gone to my state school (UMass Amherst), but they do not offer an undergraduate degree in neuroscience. At my current school, I have met with several financial aid counselors, the director of financial aid, and the associate director of financial aid, and the answer is always one that is not in my favor. I cannot obtain a cosigner for private student loans, and my federal aid does not cover nearly enough for me to be able to afford my school. Back in September, I finally found a promising cosigner, and I was set to go through with the semester. However, this individual backed out the day after the course drop period ended, so now I am unable to withdraw from the university and owe a large sum of money...go figure.

I am actively devoted to academia--I love learning and building a sense of self-diversification. After only having been here since January (2014), I have accomplished quite a bit. I am an undergraduate research assistant at the human genomic laboratory, I scored a job as an EKG Technician (20hrs/weekend), I was appointed to the Academic Integrity Council as a voting councilman for academic integrity hearings, I was nominated for and inducted to the Kappa Delta Pi International Honors Society in Education, I am shadowing the campus hospital's Chief of Neurosurgery and his team, and have am hoping to intern with the Chief Medical Examiner's office at the hospital I work at. Although, financial stress has taken a slight toll on my GPA (which is going to easy to boost, as it is only my second semester here). I currently have a 2.9 and plan on raising it to a 3.5 by the end of this semester. But again, I am not even sure if I can come back next semester. Regardless of my current situation, I will go to all ends to become a physician. I love people, and I want to leave my mark. I love medicine. Rest assured, I would be spiritually satisfied living out of a cardboard box, so long as I am practicing medicine in the meantime. This brings me to my next thought...

Finances have been ruthless and seem to be hindering my dreams. Consequently, I have considered applying to MD programs in Spain. Medical school is considerably less expensive in Spain, and a bachelor's degree is not necessarily needed in order to apply for admittance. There are several perks of becoming a practicing MD in the European Union. I would have no problem with living and practicing medicine in Spain, should I successfully do this. I am nearly fluent in Spanish, love Spanish culture, and I am partially of Spanish descent. My father's paternal side immigrated to the United States from Spain in the late 19th Century. In terms of time, stress reduction, and finances, it would make a whole lot of sense to apply to medical schools in Spain. I am simply looking for thoughts, advice, and genuine guidance. Do you know of anyone who has successfully done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you plan to practice in the EU, your plan is reasonable.
There were too few US IMG's from Spain to report them as a separate category in the latest publication from the NRMP. I would therefore not recommend this route for someone hoping to return to the US as a practicing physician.
You might want to consider the 3 Puerto Rican schools that accept mainlanders if you want to go to school in Spanish and would like to be afforded the option of a US residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I would advise against accruing a large amount of debt due to a major. There are other ways of gaining that knowledge. I go to a school where neuroscience is not offered, but I have combined courses from a variety of departments, like psychology and biochemistry, to get that academic background. You may also be able to take graduate biochemistry courses in neuroscience, if the major is not offered for undergrads. Other than that, I supply the knowledge with recent news in neuroscience research. You can read about the methods used, the outcomes of studies, future implications, etc., all for free on pubmed or science daily.

Reactions: 1 users