Medical School or Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortulangel0902

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a college which offers a scholarship to attend medical school or dental school for free. While I have had more exposure to medicine (volunteered in hospital, husband is a medical student, volunteered in health clinic in ecuador), after not doing so well on the MCAT and taking a break after college, I am not as discriminatory to other medical professions as I once was.

Also for whatever reason, I have become bothered with death. I have held a cadavers hand while I was a sophomore but for whatever reason feel like I could not even step in the room at this point in my life (no nothing dramatic has happened to me since that time).

While I want to save lives, I feel that the work that dentists do is life saving as well. I have shadowed a dentist too and think it is interesting. No, I do not want to do medicine and dentistry.

Here is what I do know, my family comes first so if I end up matching into a profession with long hours that would take a huge chunk of time away from my family, I would happily walk away from it. I am interested in dermatology / cosmetic dentistry and am not afraid to do go above and beyond to be where I need to be. I want to make more than 250k but I know plenty of dentists that do so the doctor/money thing is not an issue. I feel doctors are the most prestigious however I am not really caught up in the ego game. Lastly, while dentistry would be great, It would not have been a consideration if I did well enough on the MCAT to get into the school that I wanted to get into.

All of that said, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

The sound of a drill grinding against teeth makes me cringe... kinda like someone clawing a blackboard.

Also for whatever reason, I have become bothered with death. I have held a cadavers hand while I was a sophomore but for whatever reason feel like I could not even step in the room at this point in my life (no nothing dramatic has happened to me since that time).

Dental students have to dissect cadavers too

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have one inch of passion in you that yearns for medicine, then go to medical school.

You will doubt your decision for the rest of your life by not following your heart.

Stop looking at the money (any medical profession can make great money). Ignore the family (even a surgeon can work part time....for a pay cut). You will dissect cadavers in dental school.

You claim you want to save a life. Trust me...you will never fully quench that thirst via dentistry.

You know exactly what you want. Don't let the MCAT scare you. Push harder.

Good luck.:oops:

Yes, you are right I should just push through. Do you guys think I should take the scholarship though even if I feel that the schools are not a right fit for me (socially)? No debt no loans.

Really comes down to whether you really want to run your own office in addition to practicing. It's a lot harder and less appealing than it seems.

Yes, you are right I should just push through. Do you guys think I should take the scholarship though even if I feel that the schools are not a right fit for me (socially)? No debt no loans.

Absolutely not. Go to the most expensive school that you can find and charge it all on credit cards.

As a doctor you will be able to pay back educational debt.

Having zero debt would be amazing. I would never suggest turning that down, unless you don't think you will thrive and succeed.

Follow your passion and the rest will fall into place.

Check your message box.

SDN is obsessed with debt and is somehow convinced that in the future doctors will be paid like teachers so if you don't choose the cheapest option you will be pushed into bankruptcy. So that's the answer you will get here. The truth is, only you can put a price on your happiness. It's four years of your life, and the name on your wall. If that's worth 250-300k to you...then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.