Medical school rankings (please don't shoot me)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creamfreesh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm going to get majorly chewed out for this post, but I have a friend who's being exceeding arrogant about the medical schools he got accepted to versus the one I'm matriculating at. Although I am very happy with the school that I picked, and that's good enough for me, he (in my opinion at least) seems to be underestimating the reputation of my school(s). I would like to kindly suggest to his haughtiness is a more than a little unfounded: e.g., I want him to shut up and stop bragging about his own accomplishments, because it's getting really annoying. I need a collective forum to do this.

I realize there is no ranking for medical schools that considers average GPA, MCAT, Research, and Primary care together. Nevertheless, I think its fair to say that we all have an imagined hierarchy in our minds that categorizes U.S. medical schools according to these factors, and perhaps others. This is not to say that there are any "bad" medical schools, or that a "good" medical school is not dependent on the personal criteria and subjective feeling and fit (i.e., someone who needs warm weather isn't going to like Yale). Moreover, everyone has to graduate with the same level of medical knowledge and competency to become a physician. Now, having said all of that, how would YOU rate (in order of reputation) the following schools, based on your own impression/opinions, and why?

Again, I know this type of exercise is a big no-no (we're talking med school here, not law), but please help me knock my friend off his high horse. I think he associates medical schools too strongly with their undergrad reputations.

P.S.- these schools are not necessarily one's that he or I got in to, so don't feel the need to intentionally rate down the ones you think are inherently better to help me out.

1. Penn State
2. Jefferson Medical College
3. University of Virginia School of Medicine
4. Temple University School of Medicine
5. Geisel School of Medicine (Dartmouth)
6. Georgetown University School of Medicine
7. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
8. NYU
9. Weill Cornell
10. Drexel Medical College
11. Albany School of Medicine

I apologize for any offense that this post may evoke. I understand that medical school is not a name game, would not, and DO NOT consider the desire to become a physician in such terms.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to shoot you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I know I'm going to get majorly chewed out for this post, but I have a friend who's being exceeding arrogant about the medical schools he got accepted to versus the one I'm matriculating at. Although I am very happy with the school that I picked, and that's good enough for me, he (in my opinion at least) seems to be underestimating the reputation of my school(s). I would like to kindly suggest to his haughtiness is a more than a little unfounded: e.g., I want him to shut up and stop bragging about his own accomplishments, because it's getting really annoying. I need a collective forum to do this.

I realize there is no ranking for medical schools that considers average GPA, MCAT, Research, and Primary care together. Nevertheless, I think its fair to say that we all have an imagined hierarchy in our minds that categorizes U.S. medical schools according to these factors, and perhaps others. This is not to say that there are any "bad" medical schools, or that a "good" medical school is not dependent on the personal criteria and subjective feeling and fit (i.e., someone who needs warm weather isn't going to like Yale). Moreover, everyone has to graduate with the same level of medical knowledge and competency to become a physician. Now, having said all of that, how would YOU rate (in order of reputation) the following schools, based on your own impression/opinions, and why?

Again, I know this type of exercise is a big no-no (we're talking med school here, not law), but please help me knock my friend off his high horse. I think he associates medical schools too strongly with their undergrad reputations.

P.S.- these schools are not necessarily one's that he or I got in to, so don't feel the need to intentionally rate down the ones you think are inherently better to help me out.

1. Penn State
8. NYU
9. Weill Cornell

1. Vandy
2. Cornell
3. NYU
4. Dartmouth
5. UVA

Major distance in between, then

6. Gtown
7. Jefferson
8. Temple
9. PSU
10. Drexel
11. Albany

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

1. Penn State
8. NYU
9. Weill Cornell

I apologize for any offense that this post may evoke. I understand that medical school is not a name game, would not, and DO NOT consider the desire to become a physician in such terms.

Go to the school you like the most if you get multiple acceptances.

1. Penn State
8. NYU
9. Weill Cornell

1. Vandy
2. Cornell
3. NYU
4. UVA
5. Dartmouth
BIG GAP
6. Georgetown
7.Temple
8.Jefferson
9. Drexell
10. Penn State
11. Albany

Reactions: 1 users
1. Vanderbilt
2. Weill
3. NYU
4. Dartmouth
5. UVA
6. Temple
7. Jefferson
8. Drexel
9. Penn State
10. Albany

100. Georgetown

Totally subjective and 6-9 are basically interchangeable for me but this is what I think from reputation in real life and here.

1. Vanderbilt
2. Weill
3. NYU
4. Dartmouth
5. UVA
6. Temple
7. Jefferson
8. Drexel
9. Penn State
10. Albany

100. Georgetown

Totally subjective and 6-9 are basically interchangeable for me but this is what I think from reputation in real life and here.

...Jalby?

Reactions: 22 users
Follow the $$$$.

This works, too. Though I admit to rationalizing my number one choice to myself by rationlizing that if I ultimately want to be on the west coast, I might as well go now rather than trying to get there in four years. Or waiting another 3 to 4 years if that doesn't work. I know it doesn't make sense financially.

I hope you don't make your choice based on how people on the internet rank the schools. And I really hope you don't make a choice solely because it 'ranks' higher than your friend's school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a different friend.

I would stop talking to my friends if they pulled that crap on me.

This. If he's not happy for your success and instead puts you down/brags about his own success, that's not a person I'd want to be friends with. You'll probably lose touch with him when you go to separate med schools anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
inb4 useless discussion

I second what Ismet and Chizled said.

Anyine trying to belittle another person for the medical school they got into is either somehow unhappy with the schools he got into and must put others down, or is an enormous toolbag.

He's probably just going to end up miserable so don't worry about it.

Sorry, but that're ALL good.

1. Penn State
8. NYU
9. Weill Cornell

Interesting, OP.

It seems to me that you already know the answer, but haven't actually internalized it yet...hence asking a forum about their opinions.
Ask your friend why he thinks his school is better than yours. Reputation based on...research? Primary care? STEP 1 scores? In my opinion, he may be more annoyed than you are. Nobody who's comfortable with their own accomplishments/place feels the need to push to put others down. That's awesome that you both got into medical school.

Keep in mind: the school's reputation, no matter how good, is NOT because of your friend. He has contributed a whopping "nothing" to that school. In fact, he has not proved much of anything yet, except that he may be able to BEGIN learning to practice medicine. He will have to prove that he actually fits at that school, can keep up with the other students, and can still become a good physician. Coming from HMS of JHU does not mean you're incapable of biopsying the wrong tissue, missing the diagnosis, or even ****ing up your USMLE scores. If everyone from the same school was rated as good of a physician as the ranking of the school...why would there be top 90th vs. bottom 10th? Not everyone is the same, and your school does not make you god's gift to medicine.

Next time he ****s on you, shower him with reality.

Interesting, OP.

It seems to me that you already know the answer, but haven't actually internalized it yet...hence asking a forum about their opinions.
Ask your friend why he thinks his school is better than yours. Reputation based on...research? Primary care? STEP 1 scores? In my opinion, he may be more annoyed than you are. Nobody who's comfortable with their own accomplishments/place feels the need to push to put others down. That's awesome that you both got into medical school.

Keep in mind: the school's reputation, no matter how good, is NOT because of your friend. He has contributed a whopping "nothing" to that school. In fact, he has not proved much of anything yet, except that he may be able to BEGIN learning to practice medicine. He will have to prove that he actually fits at that school, can keep up with the other students, and can still become a good physician. Coming from HMS of JHU does not mean you're incapable of biopsying the wrong tissue, missing the diagnosis, or even ******* up your USMLE scores. If everyone from the same school was rated as good of a physician as the ranking of the school...why would there be top 90th vs. bottom 10th? Not everyone is the same, and your school does not make you god's gift to medicine.

Next time he ****s on you, shower him with reality.

How did you write **** without it getting censored? Are you a wizard?

Also, your friend sounds really ****ty.

...Jalby?
Ah Jalby, he never did make his peace with Georgetown. They say that his soul wanders the Earth, haunting the halls of Georgetown and tormenting those who think about matriculating there. In this life or the next, Jalby will have his vengeance.

Reactions: 1 users
Grow up. Tell your friend to f himself or herself and be happy you got into med school.