Medical School to Dental School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hondo55

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a med 1 and am considerring leaving medicine to pursue dentistry. I have thought about this for some time now, but after being accepted to medical school I thought it would be better to give it a try and eliminate medicine before looking into other careers. I would like to know if any of you have known people who have made the switch or if you have made the switch yourself.

I am interested in a flexible career with a high level of autonomy. I do not think that I would definately be more satisfied with a career in medicine and I think that the lifestyle in dentistry would be much better. One thing is for sure you can do far more with medicine outside the normal scope of practice, but still you have to enjoy the fundamentals to continue for the next 7+ years...

I have two family members that are dentists. While I have not done much shadowing, I probably know quite a bit of dentistry compared to the average incoming student. I would like to do some shadowing before making this decision.

Has anyone done this after entering med school? Can anyone give me some personal insights into the logistics of this??

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am just trying to find someone who has done this, or has known someone who has and can tell me about their experiences in doing this.

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the comments. It is tough to switch directions. I have been doubting medicine bf even entering. I did not get here and then start thinking about other things... It just presents and interesting area in terms of explaination. However, I think that in the end one had to make a decision for themselves regardless of whatever secondary considerations. I think one of the hardest parts of walking away is not having an immediate alternative, especially when you are in the middle of a set track..

hondo55 said:
Thanks for the comments. It is tough to switch directions. I have been doubting medicine bf even entering. I did not get here and then start thinking about other things... It just presents and interesting area in terms of explaination. However, I think that in the end one had to make a decision for themselves regardless of whatever secondary considerations. I think one of the hardest parts of walking away is not having an immediate alternative, especially when you are in the middle of a set track..

I actually have a friend that is attending UCLA dental that did this. He was MS1, dropped out, and entered dental school. The problem was, however, that it took the poor guy two tries to get in. He told me that the adcoms probably looked at is withdrawl from medical school as a big minus in his application. His stats were stellar, but still didn't get in the first time around. Just make sure you think this through before taking the plunge.