Medical School: UCONN (full ride) vs Brown; Help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlemme10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am just wondering everyones input on where they would go. I have been offered a full ride to UCONN but have also been accepted to Brown. I am torn between taking a full ride at a great school vs going to Brown an, IVY league school with a great reputation. Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on your priorities, your career plans, and what you want out of a medical school. If having no debt is your highest priority, then there is no question.

How were your interview days at these schools? Any particular impression?

I'm always confused when people make these type of threads because you will never get a legitimate answer.

I'm not sure how many decisions you have made in your life, but I'm sure like most folks on sdn this is your "first adult decision." You need to ask yourself, "what do I see myself doing 10 years from now?" "Where do I want to be?" "How will this affect my me and family?"

Reactions: 1 users
I'd go to UCONN. But then again, UCONN would have been my top choice MD school because I like the chaos at Hartford Hospital and the chance to do rotations in the prison ward at John Dempsey. Choose what appeals to you.

Nothing beats a full ride. Go to UCONN... Unless Brown offers you a full ride or close to it.

UConn. While Brown is an Ivy, its medical school doesn't have the same cachet that the undergrad does because it only opened in its current form in the 70's so IMO the prestige factor is nowhere near enough to counterbalance a scholarship elsewhere. Both are good schools, but one is free. Seems like an easy choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Speak to the admissions/financial aid directors at Brown and see if you can convince them to throw more aid at you.

I'm always confused when people make these type of threads because you will never get a legitimate answer.

I'm not sure how many decisions you have made in your life, but I'm sure like most folks on sdn this is your "first adult decision." You need to ask yourself, "what do I see myself doing 10 years from now?" "Where do I want to be?" "How will this affect my me and family?"

I think it's partially because they want to get some opinions and reasons for picking one or another (i.e. maybe someone on here thinks of a reason for picking one school that the OP hasn't thought of yet).

50,000 +3,400+3,631+3,878+4,141 = 65,050
50,000+3,400+3,631+3,878 = 60,909
50,000+3,400+3,631 = 57,031
50,000+3,400 = 53,400
= 236,390

I would't pay 236,390 extra for an ivy degree.

Reactions: 3 users
While Brown is an Ivy, the medical school reputation isn't as high as its undergrad. $250k of free money sounds really hard to turn down for something that will only impress laymen.

Members don't see this ad :)
While Brown is an Ivy, the medical school reputation isn't as high as its undergrad. $250k of free money sounds really hard to turn down for something that will only impress laymen.
I agree but at brown i dont expect to pay full tuition. I am considered disadvantaged and Brown is known for thier ability to give large amounts of aid. On the other hand free is free and UCONN is also a great school.

I agree but at brown i dont expect to pay full tuition. I am considered disadvantaged and Brown is known for thier ability to give large amounts of aid. On the other hand free is free and UCONN is also a great school.

I am also an HCOP recipient. For me at least it comes down to if I am willing to stay in CT after residency to fulfill the terms.

I'm still deciding but it's 99% UConn for me right now. I would love to go to UCF or Tufts, my other favorites, but I don't think schools will match diversity scholarships.

Try though. You never know.

Full ride will have a dramatic, positive impact on your lifestyle in the near future. As compared to paying even half of your tuition at any US medical school.
In my opinion, being offered a full ride at an allopathic med school is far more precious than getting into any Ivy with no full-ride.
Go for the full ride.

Reactions: 1 user

This. Follow the money.

How about UCONN and a house or Brown?

(Because that's what the free ride is worth.)

Reactions: 6 users
Full ride is one hell of a deal, and Brown Med isn't going to impress anyone particularly, other than maybe your parents' friends.

I'm going to steal this line in the future! :laugh:

I can see the difficulty in this choice for you, but, IMO, full-ride anywhere is hard to top.

How about UCONN and a Ferrari 458 or Brown?
Ferrari-458-NightHawk-37.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Lettuce be cereal.

UConn is the obvious choice.

Brown is not worth 50K per year.

Yes, UConn full ride is best!

On that note, I wonder how good the other school would have to be until SDNers voted against UConn. Harvard? Michigan? Duke?

Well said.

I would go with UConn as well. It would be nice to attend Brown, but since we are not talking about Harvard/Hopkins/UPenn, I think it should be relatively easier to turn down Brown for a full-ride.

Yes, UConn full ride is best!

On that note, I wonder how good the other school would have to be until SDNers voted against UConn. Harvard? Michigan? Duke?

I was thinking about that too.

I think many SDNers would probably say it heavily depends on OP's interests, priorities, career plans, and what he/she is looking for in a medical school. If it's about academic medicine, networking, and even research, it would seem reasonable to turn down a full ride. If it's about tuition and cost in general, probably take the full ride instead.

Only if the OP was certain they were going into academics/research/public policy and it was a top 5 school.

Even then it would be a tough choice.

I was thinking about that too.

I think many SDNers would probably say it heavily depends on OP's interests, priorities, career plans, and what he/she is looking for in a medical school. If it's about academic medicine, networking, and even research, it would seem reasonable to turn down a full ride. If it's about tuition and cost in general, probably take the full ride instead.
I'd vote for Harvard or Hopkins over UCONN. That's about it though.

I appreciate all the input but would everyones opinion change if i could go to brown for 15k a year, compared to a full ride at UCONN?

I appreciate all the input but would everyones opinion change if i could go to brown for 15k a year, compared to a full ride at UCONN?

Are you interested in going into research and/or policy? If so, maybe I'd more strongly consider Brown if it was only 15k.

Otherwise, I think this is a decision that probably won't impact you all that much from a professional standpoint (ie. if you work hard you'll one day be practicing medicine in a place you'll be happy) and I would just go with the one that would make you happiest during your time in med school (including the personal burden of 60k vs. nothing in that calculation).

Another strong vote for UConn, unless Brown offers you enough money that the cost difference is negligible.

UConn. While Brown is an Ivy, its medical school doesn't have the same cachet that the undergrad does because it only opened in its current form in the 70's so IMO the prestige factor is nowhere near enough to counterbalance a scholarship elsewhere. Both are good schools, but one is free. Seems like an easy choice.

This. The reputations of medical and graduate programs at the Ivy League do not necessarily correlate with their undergraduate rankings.

UConn all the way. If Brown offers comparable fin aid, then go to the one you like more.