Medical School

jaymafia90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to create this thread because I saw a post about someone wanting to get to the top med school and I feel like she had ask that question because she thinks "going to a top med school " is the right choice. Now I don't know how many of you guys here are thinking that exact same thing as her but I'm just here to say that I did some research a while back and learned that it really does not matter if you go to a top med school or not, as long its a good med school and it has everything that you need then you don't need to go to a top med school to be able to have a good career in the field you're focusing on, If anyone don't agree with me, state why, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wanted to create this thread because I saw a post about someone wanting to get to the top med school and I feel like she had ask that question because she thinks "going to a top med school " is the right choice. Now I don't know how many of you guys here are thinking that exact same thing as her but I'm just here to say that I did some research a while back and learned that it really does not matter if you go to a top med school or not, as long its a good med school and it has everything that you need then you don't need to go to a top med school to be able to have a good career in the field you're focusing on, If anyone don't agree with me, state why, thank you.
Honestly... For me? I feel like it's a title, don't get me wrong... I'll eventually apply to one top tier as a reach, but really? Find one that you want. Not "Harvard", "Yale", "Baylor." E.g. The only reason I would accept an offer, "assuming I get an interview/accepted", is because I enjoyed the location and wanted away from home. Don't do it because of the "title." Do what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A highly regarded medical school is a (small) factor is many residency program directors ranking of applicants. Other factors definitely weigh more heavily, but it is certainly a factor. It can only help you. How can you blame them, they need to try to find ways to rank applicants that on paper are often very similar with similar strong LORs.
The problem you will have is if you have multiple acceptances and the cost of attending a top 20 school is significantly more than say your average state school. That's when you'll have to decide how much that name and potential improved research and/or mentorship opportunities are worth to you.

--
Il Destriero

There are a relatively small number of US allo med schools compared to the number of top college grads who want them, so ALL are competitive. It's not like college where there is a big range of quality. Endowments and facilities may vary but pretty much all US allo places are well regarded. And all are going to be decent launching pads to almost every specialty if you do well.

As mentioned above, residency program directors are surveyed annually and never rank alma mater over things like Step 1 scores, clinical evaluations, and the like. There will be people on SDN who like to claim more import, especially if they've chosen this path and want to feel like they've already accomplished something. But my own experience is that PDs often base their residency selection much more on their experiences with a prior schools grads. If the guy a program took from Harvard last year was a crummy resident, it will be a few years before the program drinks from that well again. Or if the guy from lower ranked Bobs Med School was amazing, the program will try to encourage more people from Bobs to apply again next year. Or if students from X school routinely apply, but don't ever seem to rank the program highly, eventually the interview invites may fall off. So it's a lot more about experiences than prestige.

At any rate most people who are thinking about premed in college won't apply, so it's not all that relevant. But yeah I agree the focus should be to get into a US allo school and do well, not a "top" school do you can pat yourself on the back but possibly end up in the same place, if your upper class men didn't burn that bridge for you.