Medical schools in Austria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MegaSurge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Hey guys any info on Austrian medical schools? I've heard that Medical University of Vienna is one of the best... The info i found about it is very limited... Do they offer any undergraduate programs in English?

Thanx in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I just finished my second year at Medical University of Vienna (Medizinische Universität Wien). First of all, I've got two links for you:

www.meduniwien.ac.at

that's our official website - I'm afraid most of the information is in German.

www.medizinstudium.at

that's our student forum. If you have any questions, just get an account and ask (feel free to do so in English)

Now back to your questions:

There are three public "medical universities" (I hate that term - how can any institution call itself a university if it only has a single faculty? But that's just me ...) in Austria: The Medical University of Vienna, the Medical University of Innsbruck and the Medical University of Graz. In Salzburg, there is a private school: Paracelsus Medical University (www.pmu.ac.at).
All of them have different curricula, and I don't dare to judge which one is the best. Ours is "integrated", meaning that we study pre-clinical and clinical topics at the same time. For instance, in our fourth semester we studied (among other things) the anatomy, histology, physiology, pharmacology etc. and the most common diseases of the heart. I think the University of Heidelberg has a similar curriculum. In Innsbruck, they have a more traditional approach: They teach all pre-clinical subjects (i.e. anatomy and physiology, chemistry, biochemistry ...) in their first four semesters, then they switch to clinical topics.

Unfortunately, the only program MUW offers in English is the PhD program. The MD program is taught strictly in German. (That is also true for all medical schools in Austria) Also, what exactly do you mean by undergraduate? I guess that by an American definition, our MD program would be an undergraduate program: People generally start right after high school and it lasts six years.

Even if you're not interested to attend a German speaking school, I guess I'll write a short guide on how to get admitted in case anybody else wants to know:

Before I get to the problems of getting into medical school here, let me give you the biggest perk: it is extremely cheap. Tuition for non-EU citizens is about €700/semester, which is a little less than $1,000. That puts the costs for the complete program at $12,000.

The first problem is obviously the language: I have heard from many people that German is hard to learn. (Even though it does have a lot of similarities with English.) It might work if you took German in college. If not, you'd need a certificate from a language school here, like the Goethe institute.

The second problem is the biggest (and most ridiculous) one: In order to be admitted to an Austrian MD program as a non-EU citizen (even at PMU), you must prove that you got admitted to an MD program in your home country. If I were an American, I would probably stop reading now. Our programs are two years longer than yours, which also means two years of lost income. Even though it would probably still be cheaper to go to school here considering the ridiculously high tuition at American medical schools, you'd also "lose" two years of your life (if there is such a thing).

Then, if you're still interested, you have to sign up for our "medical aptitude test" (EMS - Eignungstest für medizinische Studien, http://www.eignungstest-medizin.at/cms/ )
You have to register electronically in February (it's important not to miss the date), and then later you get an invitation to sign up in person.

The test itself shouldn't be too hard for people who have gone through a pre-med program in the US. It is completely in German, but you'd have to know that anyway. The test measures stuff like basic math, reading scientific texts etc ... There is no minimum score to pass, the best ones get taken until there are no more free places left. For Vienna and Innsbruck, there are about 1000 spots per year available. (Add another 300 for Graz - they use a different test that's held on the same day, so you can't do them both. They only test basic sciences - chemistry, physics, biology, so that might be even easier if you went through pre med.)
75% of those places are reserved for Austrians, 20% for EU citizens and 5% for non-EU citizens. These three groups are graded completely independently, so you'd only compete against other non-EU citizens. That might sound harsh, BUT up until now there have never been enough students from non-EU countries to fill up all the places reserved, making the test a formality for them.

If you want to practice in the US later on, that shouldn't be a problem as long as you pass the USMLEs. I have talked to a few Austrian doctors who have done this, and they all said that the biggest dificulty for them was the English - not a big issue for US citizens I'm sure. Although I don't know if top-tier residencies in the US would consider foreign applicants. (But then, MUW is also not a top-tier school. It is a very good one, but definitely not comparable to John Hopkins.)

Ok, I can't really think about anything else right now. If you have any questions, just ask :)

Reactions: 1 user
halo,am university in September in my home-country,but was however interested in studying in Austria.just wanted to know what level of German one needs for university n whether my A level leaving certificate is recognized for undergraduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am a second year medical student in Bucharest. I fancy the idea of continuing my studies in Austria, so my question is: will my 2 years of medical school mater or would i have to start over?

Hi, seems that you know a lot about the topic i want to ask some questions:
I'm from Serbia and I want to study medicine in Viena, acctually Surgery (if that's possible).
Is there any chance to study on English?
And how and when can I apply for the university?

I really be happy if you could answer me as soon as you can.

Hi,
I am also interested in studying medicine in austria. I checked the website of the Medical university of vienna, and it ended up confusing me big time.

About this prove of admission to studies, I am already a first year student of medicine, but not in the country from which i have a high school leaving certificate, I am not sure which requirement applies there then.

Another point is the german language requirements, my german is intermediate, but it appears that they offer this University preparation program if your language skills are not enough or your school leaving certificate is not considered equal to the austrian one. But again, the application process for this is not very clearly explained.

So i would appreciate any light you can throw on this.

A bit of background, I am a non-eu citizen, went to high school in a non-eu country, but currently i am on my first year of medical school in a EU country.

Thanks!

I know that some were already answer this question but I wanted to make sure to obtain more reliable information. I write here on the forum, so that the web is a lot of outdated and not very specific facts. I would love to study medicine in Vienna at the Medical University of Vienna, and I want to ask what are the realistic chances of getting there? I am a EU citizen and I know that I need to apply for a place at university under the 20% set aside for foreigners from the EU, but I do not hope for something that could never go. Does can anyone realizes how to convert Polish high school diploma in Austria and literally what you have to have the results on the high school to have a chance to get to? I would be very grateful for your response.

Heeey please i have a question about the 5% because I'm from USA also and i got accepted but still i have to do the EMS and I'm 100% i'm going to pass it but i heard that its really har to get a place because non-EU citizens thingy so please what i want to ask that if i passed the test well i enter the Human Medicine ????

Hey!

I just finished my second year at Medical University of Vienna (Medizinische Universität Wien). First of all, I've got two links for you:

www.meduniwien.ac.at

www.medizinstudium.at

that's our student forum. If you have any questions, just get an account and ask (feel free to do so in English)

There are three public "medical universities" (I hate that term - how can any institution call itself a university if it only has a single faculty? But that's just me ...) in Austria: The Medical University of Vienna, the Medical University of Innsbruck and the Medical University of Graz. In Salzburg, there is a private school: Paracelsus Medical University (www.pmu.ac.at).
All of them have different curricula, and I don't dare to judge which one is the best. Ours is "integrated", meaning that we study pre-clinical and clinical topics at the same time. For instance, in our fourth semester we studied (among other things) the anatomy, histology, physiology, pharmacology etc. and the most common diseases of the heart. I think the University of Heidelberg has a similar curriculum. In Innsbruck, they have a more traditional approach: They teach all pre-clinical subjects (i.e. anatomy and physiology, chemistry, biochemistry ...) in their first four semesters, then they switch to clinical topics.

Unfortunately, the only program MUW offers in English is the PhD program. The MD program is taught strictly in German. (That is also true for all medical schools in Austria) Also, what exactly do you mean by undergraduate? I guess that by an American definition, our MD program would be an undergraduate program: People generally start right after high school and it lasts six years.

Even if you're not interested to attend a German speaking school, I guess I'll write a short guide on how to get admitted in case anybody else wants to know:

Before I get to the problems of getting into medical school here, let me give you the biggest perk: it is extremely cheap. Tuition for non-EU citizens is about €700/semester, which is a little less than $1,000. That puts the costs for the complete program at $12,000.

The first problem is obviously the language: I have heard from many people that German is hard to learn. (Even though it does have a lot of similarities with English.) It might work if you took German in college. If not, you'd need a certificate from a language school here, like the Goethe institute.

The second problem is the biggest (and most ridiculous) one: In order to be admitted to an Austrian MD program as a non-EU citizen (even at PMU), you must prove that you got admitted to an MD program in your home country. If I were an American, I would probably stop reading now. Our programs are two years longer than yours, which also means two years of lost income. Even though it would probably still be cheaper to go to school here considering the ridiculously high tuition at American medical schools, you'd also "lose" two years of your life (if there is such a thing).

Then, if you're still interested, you have to sign up for our "medical aptitude test" (EMS - Eignungstest für medizinische Studien, http://www.eignungstest-medizin.at/cms/ )
You have to register electronically in February (it's important not to miss the date), and then later you get an invitation to sign up in person.

The test itself shouldn't be too hard for people who have gone through a pre-med program in the US. It is completely in German, but you'd have to know that anyway. The test measures stuff like basic math, reading scientific texts etc ... There is no minimum score to pass, the best ones get taken until there are no more free places left. For Vienna and Innsbruck, there are about 1000 spots per year available. (Add another 300 for Graz - they use a different test that's held on the same day, so you can't do them both. They only test basic sciences - chemistry, physics, biology, so that might be even easier if you went through pre med.)
75% of those places are reserved for Austrians, 20% for EU citizens and 5% for non-EU citizens. These three groups are graded completely independently, so you'd only compete against other non-EU citizens. That might sound harsh, BUT up until now there have never been enough students from non-EU countries to fill up all the places reserved, making the test a formality for them.

If you want to practice in the US later on, that shouldn't be a problem as long as you pass the USMLEs. I have talked to a few Austrian doctors who have done this, and they all said that the biggest dificulty for them was the English - not a big issue for US citizens I'm sure. Although I don't know if top-tier residencies in the US would consider foreign applicants. (But then, MUW is also not a top-tier school. It is a very good one, but definitely not comparable to John Hopkins.)

Ok, I can't really think about anything else right now. If you have any questions, just ask :)

Hello, i completed my medical graduation in Romania,want to do post graduation (residency ) in Austria..so do you have any information about this,,just i need to have language certificate or i need to give any other medical exam?
Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm trying to find an affordable Medical undergraduate program outside my home country. I thought about Austria, but I don't speak German at all. Still very tempting, though, haha. *Thinking about how long would it take to learn enough German*

Hey!

www.meduniwien.ac.at

www.medizinstudium.at