Medical Schools req. Biochemistry & Lab??! Or Just Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorldClassNeurosurgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I have finished all of my medical school requirements, even the MCAT ,except Biochemistry...My school offers a Biochemistry class..& also one with a lab...Is the lab required for all medical schools & if not does anyone have a list of the medical schools that require the lab? Thanks so much! Really appreciate it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

My school had Biochem I without a lab. If you wanted to take Biochem II (mainly only needed for biochem majors, which was moi), you either had to take a lab or be enrolled in a senior research lab to replace biochem II lab (I did the latter). Now I have never seen them strictly require a lab, but some that I applied to that required it showed "Biochemistry (3-5 credits)" which meant if you took a lab with the lecture, you could use it for the requirement and on the application.

Reactions: 1 user
My school doesn't have Biochem Lab and I've never heard of it being an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a separate Biochem lab which is 3 credits and has Biochem I as a prerequisite. If your school has a 1 credit lab that goes along with Biochem lecture, then you can go ahead and take it. Otherwise, it's not necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Not required. I love labs, so I took it.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah ok this makes sense! Because I have a special topics Molecular Biochemistry on my schedule but it is not the biochemistry with the lab. I suppose that it should be just as good!