Medical Schools that Serve Underserved Populations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still a bit new to SDN and thought this might be the best place to ask this question. I'm asking on behalf of myself and a few others at my school who have spent a lot of time in underserved areas in the US and really want to find some medical schools that truly embody this as part of their curiculum. I've vetted through just about all the mission statements of US MD schools, and have some idea of where those might be. But I know there are people with much more knowledge on here who could create a list.

***Note our stats all vary, so regardless of what tier they are I'd just like to see them so that we can have a better idea!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still a bit new to SDN and thought this might be the best place to ask this question. I'm asking on behalf of myself and a few others at my school who have spent a lot of time in underserved areas in the US and really want to find some medical schools that truly embody this as part of their curiculum. I've vetted through just about all the mission statements of US MD schools, and have some idea of where those might be. But I know there are people with much more knowledge on here who could create a list.

***Note our stats all vary, so regardless of what tier they are I'd just like to see them so that we can have a better idea!

UC Riverside, USC (LA County affiliation).

All the PRIME programs at the University of California schools

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking for the same thing. Add the HBCUs (Howard, Morehouse, etc.) Tulane seems pretty big on community service (they've been helping rebuild New Orleans's healthcare system; could be an interesting experience). University of Washington (heavy in-state preference but they have clinical experiences all over the WWAMI area which is pretty cool.) UCLA Drew. And George Washington seems to have a few underserved/social justice type opportunities as well.

I'm in the same position as you and have also looked into this. The only one on my list that others haven't mentioned yet is University of Illinois. They have urban and global medicine tracks. Good luck!

Nice for example, UCLA's Prime Program, does it help to be in-state? I am not from California so I don't know if it's worth applying to those programs from way out of state (midwest). I'm very open to settling in any area (not that it helps), but I'd rather not burn more $$$ haha

they ALL serve the underserved!!

Nice for example, UCLA's Prime Program, does it help to be in-state? I am not from California so I don't know if it's worth applying to those programs from way out of state (midwest). I'm very open to settling in any area (not that it helps), but I'd rather not burn more $$$ haha

There is no in-state preference for UCLA's Prime program. If your mission aligns with that particular programs, then go for it. It won't hurt to try.

I've been looking for the same thing. Add the HBCUs (Howard, Morehouse, etc.) Tulane seems pretty big on community service (they've been helping rebuild New Orleans's healthcare system; could be an interesting experience). University of Washington (heavy in-state preference but they have clinical experiences all over the WWAMI area which is pretty cool.) UCLA Drew. And George Washington seems to have a few underserved/social justice type opportunities as well.

There are some cool opportunities in NOLA, but I wouldn't say the school is any bigger on actual service than other med schools.