All Branch Topic (ABT) Medical Service Corps to Medical Corps, Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroadPathMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience, thoughts, advice re:

One who works in US Navy MSC (e.g. Aerospace Physiologist / Environmental Health Officer / Industrial Hygiene) initially and later obtained ECFMG certification requirement to apply as PGY1 with intent to become a Flight Surgeon? I was a former foreign national and naturalized as a US citizen before applying to the Navy. Have masters degrees locally (US) along with MD from a foreign medical school (plus PGY1, unrestricted license from country of origin, and GP practice experience).

Any similar experiences in other branches?

Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are already in the MSC? Your internship was foreign or in the US?

You are probably one of a kind. I'd call one of the big GME directors and ask for an appt for advice ( ie CAPT Green in SD).

Does anyone here have experience, thoughts, advice re:

One who works in US Navy MSC (e.g. Aerospace Physiologist / Environmental Health Officer / Industrial Hygiene) initially and later obtained ECFMG certification requirement to apply as PGY1 with intent to become a Flight Surgeon? I was a former foreign national and naturalized as a US citizen before applying to the Navy. Have masters degrees locally (US) along with MD from a foreign medical school (plus PGY1, unrestricted license from country of origin, and GP practice experience).

Any similar experiences in other branches?

Appreciate it!

Your post medical school training in your country of origin counts for squat. You'd need to pass all of your USMLE exams (1, 2, CS, & 3). Then you'd need to get an internship in the US with an unrestricted medical license from the US. After all that you could potentially try to join. I don't think the military would have much use for someone joining with only an internship. Having a residency would make you more desirable. Alternatively, after getting your internship out of the way, you could try joining into a military residency as a PGY-2.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are already in the MSC? Your internship was foreign or in the US?

You are probably one of a kind. I'd call one of the big GME directors and ask for an appt for advice ( ie CAPT Green in SD).

Thanks very much!

I'm about to enter service with MSC, on account of my local Masters. Internship, practice license and practice experience were all foreign.

I have one more of the Steps left to complete before I qualify for the ECFMG certification. Was also advised to complete Step III ahead before applying to US PGY1 to make app stronger, being from an overseas school and all.

Thanks again.

Your post medical school training in your country of origin counts for squat. You'd need to pass all of your USMLE exams (1, 2, CS, & 3). Then you'd need to get an internship in the US with an unrestricted medical license from the US. After all that you could potentially try to join. I don't think the military would have much use for someone joining with only an internship. Having a residency would make you more desirable. Alternatively, after getting your internship out of the way, you could try joining into a military residency as a PGY-2.

Thanks!

Certainly aware of the rather painful fact re coming in with overseas training. I've so far done the clinicals, Steps 2CS and CK. Saved the grandest pain (Step 1) for last. Later on, I'd plan for Step 3. It's still a long road. Just thinking ahead and exploring options for my case.