Medical Speciality trainig in Switzerland or UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowlabs9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m finishing my last year of medical school (6 years) and I’m planning to move to Switzerland (French speaking area) in order to proceed to the speciality training. In my curriculum I have 8 years of hospital experience as a Nurse at Emergency Room an excellent classification in medical grade, as well as many smaller medical related courses; another degree in medical sciences; also have lots of extracurricular important activities…

At this moment I’m pretty much decided to go to Anesthesiology.

Is it hard to enter in this speciality in Switzerland? Realistically will I need to work in different areas for a long time before I could ingress in the speciality training? Would it be better to go to UK instead of Switzerland? Does my curriculum gives me any advantage?

Forgot to mention that I’m finishing my B2 in French this year. And already have B2 in English.

Best regards and many thaks for the help provided

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I’m finishing my last year of medical school (6 years) and I’m planning to move to Switzerland (French speaking area) in order to proceed to the speciality training. In my curriculum I have 8 years of hospital experience as a Nurse at Emergency Room an excellent classification in medical grade, as well as many smaller medical related courses; another degree in medical sciences; also have lots of extracurricular important activities…

At this moment I’m pretty much decided to go to Anesthesiology.

Is it hard to enter in this speciality in Switzerland? Realistically will I need to work in different areas for a long time before I could ingress in the speciality training? Would it be better to go to UK instead of Switzerland? Does my curriculum gives me any advantage?

Forgot to mention that I’m finishing my B2 in French this year. And already have B2 in English.

Best regards and many thaks for the help provided

UK is great as well, you can apply for Foundation Year in the UK. it depends on where you want to live I guess, haven't done foundation yet so I wouldn't know what its like.

Reactions: 1 user
UK is great as well, you can apply for Foundation Year in the UK. it depends on where you want to live I guess, haven't done foundation yet so I wouldn't know what its like.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

In fact, I’m considering UK to. But in that case, I think I will finish my common year here in Portugal. If I do so, I will be applying directly to speciality training program, jumping FP.

I’ve been in England a few times and really love it! Also really love Scotland!

Do you know if my curriculum (mentioned above) can help me to achieve the speciality there?

Once again, I’m looking for Anesthesia as first choice, Radiology (second) and Gynecology/Obstetrics as third.

Best regards.

Very grateful for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

In fact, I’m considering UK to. But in that case, I think I will finish my common year here in Portugal. If I do so, I will be applying directly to speciality training program, jumping FP.

I’ve been in England a few times and really love it! Also really love Scotland!

Do you know if my curriculum (mentioned above) can help me to achieve the speciality there?

Once again, I’m looking for Anesthesia as first choice, Radiology (second) and Gynecology/Obstetrics as third.

Best regards.

Very grateful for your help

I think so. You should ask someone who knows the specialty system better but I'm pretty sure if you are an EU citizen with an EU medical degree and you do internship in the EU you can apply for specialty in the UK. Just hope UKIP doesn't win :p

Reactions: 1 user
I think so. You should ask someone who knows the specialty system better but I'm pretty sure if you are an EU citizen with an EU medical degree and you do internship in the EU you can apply for specialty in the UK. Just hope UKIP doesn't win :p

Yes, hope so. And yes, will keep my fingers crossed hoping that the euroskepticism stays away...
And you, what are your plans for the near future?

Yes, hope so. And yes, will keep my fingers crossed hoping that the euroskepticism stays away...
And you, what are your plans for the near future?

I have a long time to go before i have to worry about anything haha

In a minute you'll be at the end, looking for the long road left behind and praying for more time...

I appreciate your concern but I have been planning since before I came to medical school but i'd rather keep it private.

Last edited:
Hi,

I’m curious about the way you’re seriated at the end of Foundation Year 2 in order to concur to speciality training program… how does it work? Is there any exam? Which are the criteria to be accepted on the speciality training? Interview and curriculum analysis only?

I’m asking this because at this moment I’m finishing my second professionalizing year, which is going to give me equivalence to Foundation Year 2. Then I just don’t know how will I be seriated? Based on what? My curriculum? Do I need to take any exams?

Will I need to complete the foundation program anyway?

Best regards

Sorry, but I don't know much about this topic.

From what a friend tells me, jobs in the French speaking cantons are between far and few. There are more opportunities in the German speaking cantons.

I would recommend the UK as A&E is one of the non-competitive specialties (for now) and they looking to recruit doctors interested in pursuing this field.