Medical Student A Cappella Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know which schools have a cappella groups? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully not the school I end up with. A capella music is terrible and annoying regardless of the quality of voices and I pray it is a plague that effects only undergrad institutions and not med schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw in the MSAR that Wash U has such a group called Hot Docs. UCLA has one was well called Med-Leys or something like that. :p

I saw in the MSAR that Wash U has such a group called Hot Docs. UCLA has one as well called Med-Leys or something like that. :p

UCSD has one...don't know its name.

a lot of med schools have these groups...

Yale, for example, has the UltraSounds...

Originally posted by greenie8
Hopefully not the school I end up with. A capella music is terrible and annoying regardless of the quality of voices and I pray it is a plague that effects only undergrad institutions and not med schools.

Come to Northwestern ... we have some of the best a cappella groups in the Midwest.

Originally posted by JulianCrane
Anyone know which schools have a cappella groups? Just curious.

How'd I know that you were the original poster??? HAHAHA, hope life is treatin' you well Julian.......

:horns:

Hmmm...I am assuming you've never heard good a cappella from bad. It's all good, I hope you aren't where groups are present either. Your incredibly negative (and I might even add ignorant to that) view would be a disservice to them as well. :)

-Ice

Ha! I didn't see the response to my post above until now.

Alright, I'll rephrase my statement:
I think a capella groups suck.

I hope to never hear one again when I'm in med school. Apparently the ones at my undergrad (Hopkins) are supposed to be good (they win awards I guess), but they are still unbearably annoying.

This is just my opinion. I am highly trained in both piano and voice at one of the nation's top music schools (Peabody Conservatory) so I know my music, and annoying pop music college a capella isn't cutting it.

Members don't see this ad :)
well to each his own i guess.

Originally posted by Taleof50
a lot of med schools have these groups...

Yale, for example, has the UltraSounds...

There are UltraSounds at Columbia also.

I wonder who got the name first :)

I'm not that big of a fan of the a cappella music either...and the names of the groups almost make me want to vomit...but, to each his own. There are also two medical-related bands around. Once called Cue Four (do you get it??) and one called The Notochords...(sickening...)

The Notochords. . .now that's clever. ;)

Ha! I didn't see the response to my post above until now.

Alright, I'll rephrase my statement:
I think a capella groups suck.

I hope to never hear one again when I'm in med school. Apparently the ones at my undergrad (Hopkins) are supposed to be good (they win awards I guess), but they are still unbearably annoying.

This is just my opinion. I am highly trained in both piano and voice at one of the nation's top music schools (Peabody Conservatory) so I know my music, and annoying pop music college a capella isn't cutting it.

Glad you rephrased. I'm happy you're being diplomatic.

There are many that would disagree that have just as much pedigree as you. Oh, and not all a cappella music is "pop."

Just my opinion, of course. ;)
-Ice

Pitt Med has the Palpittations. No auditions, so we have people who've sang their whole life to people who've never sang before. So with all due respect to the hater,

1) I like college a cappella
2) Med school a cappella is a lot more chill, and a great release from school
3) If you like to sing, what else matters?

Pitt Med has the Palpittations. No auditions, so we have people who've sang their whole life to people who've never sang before. So with all due respect to the hater,

1) I like college a cappella
2) Med school a cappella is a lot more chill, and a great release from school
3) If you like to sing, what else matters?

Mega bump, eh? All schools seem to have one, it almost seems mandatory.

thanks for bumping this thread! i will continue to do a capella in med school if it kills me... i.e. if i requires me starting a group because my school doesn't have one :)

and haters suck. if a capella is not your cup of tea, don't listen to it. and stfu.

Virginia has a group called the Arrhythmics.

They also have a band called the Raging Hormones.

I sang for 4 years in a college a cappella group. And I sang for 2 years in my med school a cappella group. Lots of fun and we made the peeps happy.

Unfortunately, now, as a third year med student, my schedule does not allow me to sing a cappella anymore. Apparently, I have to grow up and assume adult responsibilities now .... as a cappella slips into the mists of memory and my fine Irish tenor, alas, is heard no more.

Except at Christmas, when my dear mum insists that I sing to her. Or when I force my brother to listen to one of my college a cappella cds when we are driving in the car, merely to cause my little brother unbearable anguish, a hip hop afficianodo who does not appreciate the simple harmonious virtues of college a cappella.

The girls at the University of Oregon have a killer a cappella group. They can sing like those sirens that ship wrecked all of those sailors on the Mediterrean Sea in Ancient Greece. I am from Eugene, but did not go to the U of O, but those girls could definitely ship wreck me and I would be happy for the experience. I think they finished in the top 5 or so recently in the national college a capella competition. Very sweet. Those girls were fine.

Case does (and therefore by extension, CCLCM). We're Docapella! However, we're currently confined to performing at Doc Opera (if you can't have year-round a cappella, you might as well have one huge all-school blowout!) and alumni weekends.

This isn't to say that there hasn't been talk of ascension to glory, though...

Virginia has a group called the Arrhythmics.

They also have a band called the Raging Hormones.

Haha, me like.

Unfortunately, now, as a third year med student, my schedule does not allow me to sing a cappella anymore. Apparently, I have to grow up and assume adult responsibilities now .... as a cappella slips into the mists of memory and my fine Irish tenor, alas, is heard no more.

You mean your team doesn't serenade patients during morning rounds? For shame.

Hey friends, I just made a med school a cappella group on Facebook called, cleverly, "True Life: I'm In Med School A Cappella." It's open to all people in health sciences a cappella, or who want to go into it, or just want to marvel at the redundancy of group names- there's only so many medicine/music puns, I guess. Tallyho!

Hope that there's one wherever I go. I for one also love the cheesy medicine-related names.

Temple's is called Transplantations. No auditions needed, all free to join!

also there's an ensemble group that can have singers join.

I don't get the name though.

Also, if med school has no acapella, can't you just join the undergrad group? I much rather prefer singing with background music played by real instruments. But if acapella, the lead singer should be on the mike or else all the background singers together would be too overpowering and the song sounds muddy.

Last edited:
Vandy has: an all female group (Biorhythms), an all male group (Immune Response) and at least 2 bands (Rolling Kidney Stones and Testicular Torsion).

There may be more!

hopefully not the school i end up with. A capella music is terrible and annoying regardless of the quality of voices and i pray it is a plague that effects only undergrad institutions and not med schools.

yes!

I'm sure if you attend a med school with an undergraduate campus, you could just join one of the acapella groups there. I'm sure they won't care that you are a md student any more than they would reject masters or phd students