medical student doing MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm going to be a 3rd year medical student and wanting to take a couple years off to do an MBA...since I haven't taken accounting/finance classes in undergrad, how do you guys recommend going about applying and getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I'm going to be a 3rd year medical student and wanting to take a couple years off to do an MBA...since I haven't taken accounting/finance classes in undergrad, how do you guys recommend going about applying and getting in?

I'm a third year applying right now for MBA programs, though I'm only planning to do one year. You don't need any specific accounting/finance background to apply for biz school -- however, you do need to take the GMAT. It's a joke but covers some random geometry and stuff you won't have seen in a while, so take a week or two to study and then take it.

I'm mostly looking at programs that will allow me to do a one year MBA as a med student (essentially a transfer MD/MBA), so I'm not sure about two year programs -- but the programs I spoke with stated that there wasn't a "special" app but simply to apply and make it clear that I was a med student. They do give some special consideration as far as work experience and etc goes to med students since they don't expect you to have had the same amount of real-world work experience.

Good luck and post or PM me if you have any questions.

I'm a third year applying right now for MBA programs, though I'm only planning to do one year. You don't need any specific accounting/finance background to apply for biz school -- however, you do need to take the GMAT. It's a joke but covers some random geometry and stuff you won't have seen in a while, so take a week or two to study and then take it.

I'm mostly looking at programs that will allow me to do a one year MBA as a med student (essentially a transfer MD/MBA), so I'm not sure about two year programs -- but the programs I spoke with stated that there wasn't a "special" app but simply to apply and make it clear that I was a med student. They do give some special consideration as far as work experience and etc goes to med students since they don't expect you to have had the same amount of real-world work experience.

Good luck and post or PM me if you have any questions.

This is largely correct.

It is useful to note, however, that some programs do assume a baseline knowledge of accounting/finance/math before enrolling. Be sure to check each program individually before applying.

For example, the 1 year mba at Kellogg indicates:

"Upon enrollment students must have completed accounting, plus five of the other required courses: finance, marketing, statistics, operations, economics, and organizational behavior. It is recommended that coursework be completed within the last seven years (starting from the year of graduation)..."