1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical Students Embrace Tablets For Learning

Discussion in 'Lippincott Williams & Wilkins' started by lauraLWW, Jun 7, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. lauraLWW

lauraLWW Exhibitor

SDN Exhibitor SDN 2+ Year Member
    "Students used to bring apples for the teacher. Now medical students are keeping their Apples all to themselves. TechNewsWorld said many medical and nonmedical students are now using tablets like the iPad to keep notes and have better access to texts for class."

[​IMG]

http://www.faronics.com/2012/medical-students-embrace-tablets-for-learning/

Are you using a tablet in med school? What are the Pros / Cons?
  2. jwhitebc22

jwhitebc22

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is slightly off topic, but for our M1 year, some of the LWW texts are required for our classes. I am trying to purchase an electronic copy of the biochemistry illustrated review. It is not available for the Kindle app for IPAD, but I was told about an app that started with a 'V' for which it was available. Would you happen to know the full name for this app? Thanks.
  3. harryking

harryking

Pre-Medical
    I believe it's an app called Inkling. It's a really nice app that takes advantage of the tablet and you can buy one chapter at a time. Hope this helps!
  4. gail

gail

Post Doc
    I use a tablet. It has some very good features primarily finding information on the internet, texts, and checking mail. The drawback is mainly the keypad. I use an iPad, and wish it had phone feature. This is a very good tool.
  5. GOMERE

GOMERE

Medical Student
    Way back when my school provided tablets in the anatomy lab, it was supposed to guide us on how and what to cut, but the program was so slow and useless. Maybe technology has caught up since then.
  6. lauraLWW

lauraLWW Exhibitor

Great thread here!

A number of our titles are available via the Inkling app. You can browse the selection here: https://www.inkling.com/store/brand/lww/. On Inkling, LWW titles come to life with 3D molecules, USMLE®-style review questions with answer feedback, multimedia, a robust search, and thousands of interactive diagrams. Take a look and don't forget you can download a free chapter from each book!
  7. lauraLWW

lauraLWW Exhibitor

Hi jwhitebc22! You might be thinking of VitalSource. You can browse all our title offerings here: http://lww.vitalsource.com/.
    VitalSource is the preferred and most used e-textbook delivery platform in the world of higher education. Users can access content from over 200 of the world's top academic publishers whenever and wherever they choose--laptop, desktop or mobile device--and can download texts directly or access them via browser.
  8. Latcatin

Latcatin

Medical Student
    Try Pinger. If your school has wifi, then you'll have a phone. I use a bluetooth headset.
  9. Latcatin

Latcatin

Medical Student
    There is also a good portable keyboard available,as well as iFlashdrive and a stand alone harddrive that can be used via the camera connection kit. I have an iPhone, iPad, and Mac mini, and they're all connected ia iCloud. I also use drop box. I can't magine needing a laptop in addition to all of that.
  10. Latcatin

Latcatin

Medical Student
    I used these for undergrad immunology and pathology. Loved them!
  11. lauraLWW

lauraLWW Exhibitor

Glad to hear it!!