MEDICAL STUDENTS, what do you wish you had known during the pre-med years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcsurgeon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so the basic questions get asked a lot. What classes to take, GPA/MCAT advice, EC advice, blah blah blah blah blah. That's NOT what I'm asking.

Medical students, I want you to tell me about the little things. Tell me, and other pre-medical students, tips and tricks that often get overlooked. Now that you're in medical school, think back to what would have helped you better prepare yourself.

Some examples:
Are there any studying habits you wish you would have gotten yourself used to?
Are there certain topics you should have paid more attention to?
Should you have learned to take faster notes?
Are there books you should have read?
Should you have gotten familiar with a medical students schedule before starting medical school?
Should you have learned how to survive without sleep?

Details people, details. Take it away.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a medical student, but I'm going to guess that one of the most common advice they can give to premeds is to learn to ENJOY your free time and make the best of it. It's not going to last.

Healthy stress coping methods is a reoccurring theme.

Members don't see this ad :)
Learning good time management skills is important. This includes getting on a sleep schedule that maximizes efficiency. One thing I did that I'm glad was get comfortable working out at a gym. I had literally never worked out until a year ago. Now I make sure to exercise at least 3 times a week, even for just 30 minutes, and I feel (and look) great. Most people in our class seem to exercise regularly; however, some are definitely just gaining weight. Try to get your health worked out before you come so it's not an added stress- just routine!