Medical Terminology Class??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarleeStart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I'm an Undergrad Freshman at Georgia State University. I was wondering if taking a Medical Terminology class would be a good idea for Dental School preparation. Would that class mainly be applicable to Med students? If I should take it, should I wait until like Junior year? I just need some things to fill my schedule with and really don't feel like doing an extra history class :sleep:or anything else as boring as that. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

(Hopefully) interesting course.
Informative.
Relevant.
Not something you dislike.
Could give you a slight edge someday. Maybe.

Sounds good to me. Take it when you are comfortable taking it.

Okay.. I think I'll go for it. It will probably be a good foundation, anyway. Thanks for your help! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i signed up for med term too :) My question is do classes matter much during your sr year since when applying they will not know the outcome of those classes?

hey i signed up for med term too :) My question is do classes matter much during your sr year since when applying they will not know the outcome of those classes?

They matter if you are taking pre reqs. Some people take Biochem their senior year or upperlevel biology coures which might be pre reqs at some places. Most schools require you to maintain your GPA so they will check your grades before you matriculate.

I took a Med. Term class...Ill tell ya it definatly helps just in general if your a bio student. So many latin/greek based words and you really learn to break down the words into their meanings. Better advice would be to take latin or greek, but med term is a nice little break down of the important terms.

Yes these classes really do matter. In December or maybe January AADSAS send out a transcript update form in which you give grades from the previous semester. Then most schools also require the same after the spring semester. While the grades usually wont get you un-accepted after you have that acceptance letter alot of schools will wait to see your fall semester grades to see how you do in your usually upper level courses during your senior year. I know UoP says all senior grades must be B's or better or they will not accept you.

Hi, guys. I'm an Undergrad Freshman at Georgia State University. I was wondering if taking a Medical Terminology class would be a good idea for Dental School preparation. Would that class mainly be applicable to Med students? If I should take it, should I wait until like Junior year? I just need some things to fill my schedule with and really don't feel like doing an extra history class :sleep:or anything else as boring as that. Thanks guys!
nooo I think it would be helpful. take it!!!! AND I think it counts a science course towards your GPA (anyone know for sure that can back me up on this???)... sooooooo that can boost up that science GPA in case it needs it

OooH.... science GPA, huh? That would be grand :) I'll look that up and see if i can confirm that.

nooo I think it would be helpful. take it!!!! AND I think it counts a science course towards your GPA (anyone know for sure that can back me up on this???)... sooooooo that can boost up that science GPA in case it needs it

mmm, I duno....I would need to hear some confirmation on that. Would be nice if its true, but I am skeptical.

The medical terminology class that I took was based in latin and extremely useful down the line. Considering that the language of dentistry and medicine is based in latin, being able to break down the words helps a great deal in determing what things are or do.

I doubt that schools care too much if you take it, but it will be beneficial to you as a student.

No, it is not a science course

The medical terminology class that I took was based in latin and extremely useful down the line. Considering that the language of dentistry and medicine is based in latin, being able to break down the words helps a great deal in determing what things are or do.

I doubt that schools care too much if you take it, but it will be beneficial to you as a student.

No, it is not a science course

Sure it is a science course. It is MEDICAL terminology, where else would it be? It is also included in the science gpa, so I say go for it..an easy A.

At my school, it was given by the classics department...it was a language course. Science courses deal with hard sciences, not learning how to break down latin terms into english...whether or not it deals with science.

You could check on the AADSAS site and see if they allow you to put it under your BCP, but I highly doubt it. If I recall, BCP was reserved for the core sciences, physio and anatomy for the most part...

Additionally, MEDICAL ethics is not considered a science course...I don't think that putting the word medical in the course name constitutes is justification to classify a course as a science course...but I could be wrong

Whether you get credit as a science course or not, it is still worth taking

at my school they count the terminology as an ENGLISH class of all things...thinks it depends on the school

Medicial terminology is NOT a science course and thus will not count towards your science GPA. It is usually in the classics or language department.

P.S. - I've taken it, easy class, and very informative.

It won't help you for the DAT, but I am sure it will be useful in dschool.