Medicare Coding 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knoxdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CPT changes to pain management procedure codes

In 2011, the AMA revised thetransforaminal dpidural steroid injection codes to include the use of imaging (fluoroscopy or CT) and imaging used in the procedure, making the imaging no longer separately billable with code 77003-TC, as it was previously in 2010.

For 2012, the AMA is now doing the same thing with the epidural steroid injection (ESI) CPT codes 62310 (cervical or thoracic ESI), 62311 (lumbar or sacral ESI), 62318 (cervical or thoracic by continuous infusion) and 62319 (lumbar or sacral) by continuous infusion). These four codes now include the contrast for localization, when it is used in the ESI procedures, making the use of contrast no longer separately billable with radiology code 77003.

On spinal cord neurostimulator codes, some minor revisions have been made to the CPT codes, as follows:
Code 64561 for the percutaneous implantation of neurostimulator electrode array of the sacral nerve (transforaminal placement) for an InterStim used for an overactive bladder (which is usually used for stage I trial procedures) has been revised to add the word "array (electrode array) instead of just electrode. CPT instructs to use new Category III codes 0282T-0284T when implanting trial or permanent electrode arrays or pulse generators to be used for peripheral subcutaneous field stimulation procedures.
The same change was made to code 64581 for incision for implantation of neurostimulator electrode array of the sacral nerve (transforaminal placement) for the stage II permanent InterStim procedure, where the word "array" was added to the code descriptor.
Code 64585 for the revision or removal of a peripheral neurostimulator electrode array also added the word "array" to the code descriptor. There was no change to the code for the implantation of the generator used in the permanent procedure.

Codes for Radiofrequency procedures on Facet Joints have changed for 2012 in the CPT book. The following codes have been deleted for 2012:
Code 64622 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; lumbar or sacral, single level has been deleted.
Add-on code 64623 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; lumbar or sacral, each additional level (list separately in addition to code for primary procedure) has been deleted.
Code 64626 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; cervical or thoracic, single level has been deleted.
Add-on code 64627 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; cervical or thoracic, each additional level (list separately in addition to code for primary procedure) has been deleted.

These four codes have been replaced by the following new CPT codes for 2012:
Use code 64633 for the destruction of paravertebral facet joint nerve(s) by neurolytic agent with fluoroscopy or CT image guidance; cervical or thoracic, single facet joint for the first level performed. The add-on code for additional levels is code 64634.
Use code 64635 for the destruction of paravertebral facet joint nerve(s) by neurolytic agent with fluoroscopy or CT image guidance; lumbar or sacral, single facet joint for the first level performed. The add-on code for additional levels is code 64636.
CPT code 77003 for fluoroscopic guidance and localization of needle or catheter tip for spine or paraspinous diagnostic or therapeutic injection procedures (epidural or subarachnoid) was revised for 2012. The words "(…or sacroiliac joint), including neurolytic agent destruction" were eliminated from the coding descriptor for this code.

Members don't see this ad.

CPT instructs to use new Category III codes 0282T-0284T when implanting trial or permanent electrode arrays or pulse generators to be used for peripheral subcutaneous field stimulation procedures.

If you stim a named nerve Ie. gr occipital does this apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...some major changes! Field stimulation is dead. CPTIII codes are not paid by insurers.

When I first read this I thought you said field stimulation is dumb... But then I re-read it and saw that u said it is dead.

But I gotta to with my first impression. Field stimulation IS dumb. Good riddance.

peripheral NERVE stimulation though is a totally different beast, and I've seen excellent results with it. Hopefully, people do not get that confused w/ Field stimulation

In 2011, the AMA revised thetransforaminal dpidural steroid injection codes to include the use of imaging (fluoroscopy or CT) and imaging used in the procedure, making the imaging no longer separately billable with code 77003-TC, as it was previously in 2010.

For 2012, the AMA is now doing the same thing with the epidural steroid injection (ESI) CPT codes 62310 (cervical or thoracic ESI), 62311 (lumbar or sacral ESI), 62318 (cervical or thoracic by continuous infusion) and 62319 (lumbar or sacral) by continuous infusion). These four codes now include the contrast for localization, when it is used in the ESI procedures, making the use of contrast no longer separately billable with radiology code 77003.

On spinal cord neurostimulator codes, some minor revisions have been made to the CPT codes, as follows:
Code 64561 for the percutaneous implantation of neurostimulator electrode array of the sacral nerve (transforaminal placement) for an InterStim used for an overactive bladder (which is usually used for stage I trial procedures) has been revised to add the word "array (electrode array) instead of just electrode. CPT instructs to use new Category III codes 0282T-0284T when implanting trial or permanent electrode arrays or pulse generators to be used for peripheral subcutaneous field stimulation procedures.
The same change was made to code 64581 for incision for implantation of neurostimulator electrode array of the sacral nerve (transforaminal placement) for the stage II permanent InterStim procedure, where the word "array" was added to the code descriptor.
Code 64585 for the revision or removal of a peripheral neurostimulator electrode array also added the word "array" to the code descriptor. There was no change to the code for the implantation of the generator used in the permanent procedure.

Codes for Radiofrequency procedures on Facet Joints have changed for 2012 in the CPT book. The following codes have been deleted for 2012:
Code 64622 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; lumbar or sacral, single level has been deleted.
Add-on code 64623 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; lumbar or sacral, each additional level (list separately in addition to code for primary procedure) has been deleted.
Code 64626 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; cervical or thoracic, single level has been deleted.
Add-on code 64627 for destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve; cervical or thoracic, each additional level (list separately in addition to code for primary procedure) has been deleted.

Use code 64633 for the destruction of paravertebral facet joint nerve(s) by neurolytic agent with fluoroscopy or CT image guidance; cervical or thoracic, single facet joint for the first level performed. The add-on code for additional levels is code 64634.
Use code 64635 for the destruction of paravertebral facet joint nerve(s) by neurolytic agent with fluoroscopy or CT image guidance; lumbar or sacral, single facet joint for the first level performed. The add-on code for additional levels is code 64636.
CPT code 77003 for fluoroscopic guidance and localization of needle or catheter tip for spine or paraspinous diagnostic or therapeutic injection procedures (epidural or subarachnoid) was revised for 2012. The words "(…or sacroiliac joint), including neurolytic agent destruction" were eliminated from the coding descriptor for this code.

Just to confirm, can you still bill for 77003 though for 62310 and 62311? Just not going to get paid for contrast itself?

So SIJ denervation is no longer going to get paid for??

peripheral NERVE stimulation though is a totally different beast, and I've seen excellent results with it. Hopefully, people do not get that confused w/ Field stimulation

agree. different.

Thats referring to the 77003 fluoro code. I don't read this as you won't get paid for SIJ RF, but you now can't bill the usual RF code & fluoro' cuz fluoro will be bundled with rf.
exctly

Just to confirm, can you still bill for 77003 though for 62310 and 62311? Just not going to get paid for contrast itself?
yes.

and you cant use 62318 and 62319 (catheter placement) if the catheter is not placed for >24 hours.

yes.

and you cant use 62318 and 62319 (catheter placement) if the catheter is not placed for >24 hours.

so thats good, at least we can still bill 77003 with ILESIs... is this the consensus? would make sense with the whole blind ESI thing out there...although i am shocked to hear of this still happening.

so thats good, at least we can still bill 77003 with ILESIs... is this the consensus? would make sense with the whole blind ESI thing out there...although i am shocked to hear of this still happening.

I don't think they ever bundle 77003 with 62310 and 62311, because blind interlaminar epidurals are done for anesthesia.
GAS trained folks, aren't those the codes you used when you placed a blind epidural for anesthesia?

I don't think they'll bundle the major joint injection code 20610, with fluoro for similar reasons, because so many orthos do those blind and can't be bothered with image guidance. (and they have a better lobby than pain)

The first paragraph says, "making the imaging no longer separately billable with code 77003-TC." I interpret that to mean that we cannot use 77003 with interlaminars anymore, but I'm no billing expert. I don't know what the 77003-TC code is though. Anyone else know the scoop?

In 2011, the AMA revised the transforaminal dpidural steroid injection codes to include the use of imaging (fluoroscopy or CT) and imaging used in the procedure, making the imaging no longer separately billable with code 77003-TC, as it was previously in 2010.

They are talking about transforaminals not interlaminars. So 77003 is fine to code with the interlaminar epidurals.

Anesthesia trained pain docs- What code do you use for placement of an epidural for anesthesia 62310/62311?

Last edited:
They are talking about transforaminals not interlaminars. So 77003 is fine to code with the interlaminar epidurals.

But the problem is the next line: "For 2012, the AMA is now doing the same thing with the epidural steroid injection (ESI) CPT codes 62310 (cervical or thoracic ESI), 62311 (lumbar or sacral ESI), 62318 (cervical or thoracic by continuous infusion) and 62319 (lumbar or sacral) by continuous infusion)."

I interpret that to mean they are bundling 77003 for ILESIs.

But the problem is the next line: "For 2012, the AMA is now doing the same thing with the epidural steroid injection (ESI) CPT codes 62310 (cervical or thoracic ESI), 62311 (lumbar or sacral ESI), 62318 (cervical or thoracic by continuous infusion) and 62319 (lumbar or sacral) by continuous infusion)."

I interpret that to mean they are bundling 77003 for ILESIs.

Where did those sentences come from anyway?

I saw the original ones from CMS and I read them as it's still fine to bill 77003 for ILESI.

Anesthesia trained pain docs- What code do you use for placement of an epidural for anesthesia 62310/62311?

neither. 62319 for a catheter.

where did u cut and paste this from?...the MC website? Or from a billing and coding course? On a related note, which Billing and Coding courses do you guys use for your staff? There is one in a few minutes at 1pm by AAPM .....2012 Coding for Pain Webinar