Medicare no longer covers sacroiliac joint radiofrequency ablation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently as of Sept 25, medicare no longer will pay for sacroiliac joint RFA (L5mb and S1-S3 lb RFA).

This is the case in the state of Washington at least.

Great.

They will simply kill our field with non-coverage decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

That's been killed in a few states already for a few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do one SIJ RF case every 6-8 weeks in Pennsylvania for the past 5 years.

Medicare, WC, and commercial payors all cover it except Cigna.

I feel for ligament.

Seattle and nearby mountains are gorgeous, but I'd never practice pain medicine in WA due to the hostile medical environment from the tree hugger lobby, who apparently think that green tea and yoga is all u need to treat spinal pain.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel for ligament.

Seattle and nearby mountains are gorgeous, but I'd never practice pain medicine in WA due to the hostile medical environment from the tree hugger lobby, who apparently think that green tea and yoga is all u need to treat spinal pain.

Not true - yoga and green tea are also not covered benefits.

I feel for ligament.

The amazing thing is Washington state is home of Ray Baker, Paul Dreyfuss, and Way Yin all of whom fight very hard for our profession in this state. I can't imagine how bad it would be without them.

Oh, BTW, the state has legalized recreational Marijuana at the same time they are eliminating proper pain care for their injured workers. Apparently its ok for state residents to be high but not get pain relief.

Politicians are very smart. They know that if they keep the voters stoned and dependent on a government check every month, that's a guaranteed re-election vote for them.

Reactions: 1 users