Medicine isn't for me but MCAT in about a week....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You still don't get it. Ace Khalifa was referring to your attitude and the type of person required to teach in that environment, not the race of the individual. Not sure why you leapt right in to race.

Also I wouldn't say that inner city = black students and none else.
Thank you, the bolded is exactly what I meant. I went to Wash U for 4 years. I am well aware that systemic racism exists and that we should all work towards reducing it in our everyday lives. However, I never "jump immediately to race" when I interact with anyone. Race is never the first thing that crosses my mind when I address someone or call them out for their character flaws (because race is something you're born with, not a character trait you can develop). I'm sorry I forgot that in some post, OP mentioned they were URM. But I really don't even think about someone's race when making my points.

Members don't see this ad.

In that case i offer Ace an apology. Try not to change the topic ismet will lock this in a heartbeat if it gets disruptive. If I actually make it my story will be a great resource for people dealing with the same thing.
Apology accepted. I'm sorry I forgot.

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case i offer Ace an apology. Try not to change the topic ismet will lock this in a heartbeat if it gets disruptive. If I actually make it my story will be a great resource for people dealing with the same thing.

So back to the topic then, how do you plan to explain the MCAT and IA/misdemeanors in your PS?

Well sorry if I try to give some positive advice. From my experience I've ignored the negative responses from ppl like you and I've done pretty well.
There is a difference between giving positive advice and doing what you did. It is very good to suggest to OP that there is a chance, but ignoring the facts and assuring the OP that they "have" to accept them / "will accept them" based upon a masters despite the other factors at play lacking remediation is only instilling a false sense of hope.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who has been there done that, I do not recommend the Caribbean or any medical school located outside the USA. You don't want to be an IMG.

Reactions: 1 users
OK, who are you and what did you do with listener23??

Reactions: 4 users
OK, who are you and what did you do with listener23??

I was the chosen one, my family was so proud of me. Adcoms would of had a hard time looking past my university action ( it was pretty bad and my university has to put it on my transcript, i already checked ), now this from the summer pretty much sealed the deal i knew that going into my first MCAT. All MD/DO do background checks. My plan was to kill the mcat and apply to my instates,HBCUs and the Big 4 ( ross st.George...)

I was the chosen one, my family was so proud of me. Adcoms would of had a hard time looking past my university action ( it was pretty bad and my university has to put it on my transcript, i already checked ), now this from the summer pretty much sealed the deal i knew that going into my first MCAT. All MD/DO do background checks. My plan was to kill the mcat and apply to my instates,HBCUs and the Big 4 ( ross st.George...)

Were you suspended? Did the IA have anything to do with academic integrity?

Were you suspended? Did the IA have anything to do with academic integrity?

Basically it wasn't one of the ones that adcoms laugh at and say "kids will be kids"

Basically it wasn't one of the ones that adcoms laugh at and say "kids will be kids"

Then you might have a serious issue come admissions time. I would compose a very thorough explanation on what happened and what you learned from the incident. Was your criminal incident related to the IA?

Then you might have a serious issue come admissions time. I would compose a very thorough explanation on what happened and what you learned from the incident. Was your criminal incident related to the IA?

They were years apart and two completely different actions

Regardless, you are going to have a lot of explaining to do come application time. If you want someone to look over your explanations, free feel to PM the adcoms on this forum. You can also use the confidential consult section on SDN.

Or, you can send me a PM of your explanation(s).

And finally, don't make any more foolish decisions such as bombing your first MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to the original question...

How did you decide medicine wasn't for you? Why is it for you now?

Definitely looks like it...
The subject of the thread doesn't make any sense though. I guess I missed a lot. Ill admit I didn't read to what led up to all of this.

@listener23 Don't let the haters get to you. Follow your dream bro! If it takes a couple years to improve your app and prove to them that you've matured, then so be it. Just stay the course and I'm sure you'll make one helluva doctor some day. And we all make mistakes, but America is the land of second chances. We also all love redemption stories, look at Ray Lewis or Michael Vick.

@listener23 Don't let the haters get to you. Follow your dream bro! If it takes a couple years to improve your app and prove to them that you've matured, then so be it. Just stay the course and I'm sure you'll make one helluva doctor some day. And we all make mistakes, but America is the land of second chances. We also all love redemption stories, look at Ray Lewis or Michael Vick.

Optimism and encouragements are always good and welcomed, but the OP needs to tread carefully from here on out. He has legitimate red flags to explain, and he'll have to score higher on the MCAT.

But I agree with you that the OP can/will become a doctor as long as he fixes the deficiencies that have been exhibited in this thread.

I like this guy!

I'm... really confused by this thread. You had a change of heart and decided that medicine wasn't for you, and changed your plans right before the MCAT. I can see that happening, and the advice you got to go ahead and take the MCAT was good. But on the test itself you thought section "weren't fun" and you got bored and bombed it seemingly intentionally? And THEN whatever caused you to change your mind in the first place suddenly became unimportant and you changed your mind right back?

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I hate calling this a troll thread but the sequence of events, if I've understood it correctly, is just too unbelievable. This thread seems tailor made to stir up SDN.

Reactions: 5 users

You realize that makes it much, much worse?

Now instead of one strike that could be chalked up as "youthful indiscretion, lesson learned, maturity gained"

You have two strikes, separated by a significant amount of time. That takes away the youthful indiscretion part, the lesson learned part, and the maturity gained part. Now it is a pattern of unacceptable behavior.

Reactions: 2 users
And that's the problem. No URM status is going to save such a high-risk candidate at this point. I don't like saying "your medical career is over", but it's in deep stasis right now.
Now it is a pattern of unacceptable behavior.

Only a long and documented period of exemplary behavior with evidence of responsibility (like, say, a stint in the military, Peace Corps, VISTA, or TFA ), plus evidence of academic excellence will revive that career.

Note: going to the Caribbean will just mean you're an unemployed MD with a large debt.

Oh yes. I sure do love a alleged murderer and a convicted dog fighter/animal abuser. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't care how great they are at football or how much people love them, if they weren't famous footballers they would have faced much worse consequences. And it makes me extremely sad and angry that these people are above the law or get off with drastically diminished consequences. But that's besides the point of this thread...

We'll probably never know what listener23's recent crime was, and it doesn't really matter, but if it's bad enough, there's no coming back from it. Maybe it will take several years of space between then and applying, but by that time his MCAT score will have expired and he'll have to go through this whole song and dance again. We're not "haters" if we're being realistic. Is there a chance? Sure. How much of a chance depends on what the charge is and how he handles it on his application. From the sound of his posts, he's not handling it well, and that's why people are giving him the feedback that they are. I'd rather someone be realistic than give the false hope of "anything is possible, man!" That is neither truthful or helpful.

Suffice to say that if an applicant had a charge similar to Ray Lewis or Michael Vick, they are never, ever getting into medical school. America might give them a second chance (not sure why, but whatever), but future physicians are held to exponentially higher standards and second chances aren't given out willy-nilly.

Oh yes. I sure do love a alleged murderer and a convicted dog fighter/animal abuser. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't care how great they are at football or how much people love them, if they weren't famous footballers they would have faced much worse consequences. And it makes me extremely sad and angry that these people are above the law or get off with drastically diminished consequences. But that's besides the point of this thread...

We'll probably never know what listener23's recent crime was, and it doesn't really matter, but if it's bad enough, there's no coming back from it. Maybe it will take several years of space between then and applying, but by that time his MCAT score will have expired and he'll have to go through this whole song and dance again. We're not "haters" if we're being realistic. Is there a chance? Sure. How much of a chance depends on what the charge is and how he handles it on his application. From the sound of his posts, he's not handling it well, and that's why people are giving him the feedback that they are. I'd rather someone be realistic than give the false hope of "anything is possible, man!" That is neither truthful or helpful.

Suffice to say that if an applicant had a charge similar to Ray Lewis or Michael Vick, they are never, ever getting into medical school. America might give them a second chance (not sure why, but whatever), but future physicians are held to exponentially higher standards and second chances aren't given out willy-nilly.
I think the larger question here is how Michael Vick is a success story. He went from pro football to hosting a morning talk show.

Not quite - he's playing for the Jets, which resembles an NFL team just without any of the success or talent.

Unless it's the Steelers, who the Jets beat this weekend.

Vick did his time in jail (almost two years IIRC) and has lobbied for animal rights since. He paid his debt which is more than many professional athletes who got in trouble have done.

Update: I took the thing lol got a 24 6/13/5

PS- was boring so I basically put anything except on the discrete.

VR - was fun and I enjoyed myself

BS- started off fun but I didn't want to be a doctor anyway so for like the last 2-3 parts I didn't put anything and left the center early.

A few weeks later I wanted to be a doctor (it's complicated) and the aamc added a December spot which freed up a nov 7 spot for me. I took it fri.

Post scans of the score report, or I don't believe it happened. A 13 on the verbal section is the equivalency of a 98.5-99.5 percentile score according to the AAMC. If you were that strong in the verbal section, I find it hard to believe that your other scores are that low, especially when a good number of questions can be answered from the passages themselves in the PS and BS sections. I call BS.

It is almost as if Streampaw has dissociative identity disorder and the OP is one of her many alts.

Reactions: 3 users
On a scale of 1 to even, I can't. Not with this thread.

Reactions: 7 users
I think the larger question here is how Michael Vick is a success story. He went from pro football to hosting a morning talk show.

That's Michael Strahan. And he's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. That's pretty damn successful, I'd say.

Sincerely,

Loyal Giants Fan

Post scans of the score report, or I don't believe it happened. A 13 on the verbal section is the equivalency of a 98.5-99.5 percentile score according to the AAMC. If you were that strong in the verbal section, I find it hard to believe that your other scores are that low, especially when a good number of questions can be answered from the passages themselves in the PS and BS sections. I call BS.
A scan would be pretty useless. The MCAT results are just a web page which you can modify as you please in your browser.

Unless it's the Steelers, who the Jets beat this weekend.

Vick did his time in jail (almost two years IIRC) and has lobbied for animal rights since. He paid his debt which is more than many professional athletes who got in trouble have done.

Oh come on. You have to be kidding me. You can't honestly believe that someone who not only watched, but forced, animals to fight and die in agonizing pain, after years of horrific neglect and abuse for his own personal entertainment, had an epiphany about how wrong his actions were while sitting in his cushy jail cell getting fan mail every day.

Get real.

Oh come on. You have to be kidding me. You can't honestly believe that someone who not only watched, but forced, animals to fight and die in agonizing pain, after years of horrific neglect and abuse for his own personal entertainment, had an epiphany about how wrong his actions were while sitting in his cushy jail cell getting fan mail every day.

Get real.

I have no knowledge of how he feels about his actions and neither do you. I can only go by the actions he's done since he got out of jail. The law said he's served his time and he has taken actions to rectify his mistakes. Do you believe no criminal has the ability to change their attitude and selves?

I can't believe I read through this whole thing

.... 10/10 would read again

I have no knowledge of how he feels about his actions and neither do you. I can only go by the actions he's done since he got out of jail. The law said he's served his time and he has taken actions to rectify his mistakes. Do you believe no criminal has the ability to change their attitude and selves?
I believe that no one who has spent years finding enjoyment and pleasure forcing animals to die in horrific, agonizing pain, is going to suddenly wake up and realize the error of his ways.

Similar to how most people would call bull**** if Luis Garavito suddenly did a 180 and said that his actions were wrong.

I would think that if he had any sort of feelings that what he was doing was wrong, he would have expressed them sometime in the years BEFORE he was arrested, when he was in the midst of torturing and killing dozens of dogs, not having a magical reform after being released from prison.

I believe that no one who has spent years finding enjoyment and pleasure forcing animals to die in horrific, agonizing pain, is going to suddenly wake up and realize the error of his ways.

Similar to how most people would call bull**** if Luis Garavito suddenly did a 180 and said that his actions were wrong.

I would think that if he had any sort of feelings that what he was doing was wrong, he would have expressed them sometime in the years BEFORE he was arrested, when he was in the midst of torturing and killing dozens of dogs, not having a magical reform after being released from prison.

You have to be cognizant of the fact that we are largely products of our environment. Vick grew up in an environment where dog fighting was the norm (as disgusting as that sounds). He was more ignorant than evil. Part of the job of a physician is to recognize other cultures and not jump to conclusions. When you see immorality you should stand out against it. But you should also be open minded and try to see both sides.

You have to be cognizant of the fact that we are largely products of our environment. Vick grew up in an environment where dog fighting was the norm (as disgusting as that sounds). He was more ignorant than evil. Part of the job of a physician is to recognize other cultures and not jump to conclusions. When you see immorality you should stand out against it. But you should also be open minded and try to see both sides.
I have yet to encounter any environment where people are not cognizant of pain.

EDIT: also, you misunderstand the idea of seeing both sides. You can see both sides and still think that one is idiotic. Seeing both sides doesn't mean that you cannot come to the conclusion that one is so obviously wrong that it's ridiculous to claim otherwise.

Society has won. I will never practice medicine.

Lol. 'Society' isn't trying to bring you down. You brought yourself down, because oddly enough, if you behave, 'society' stays completely out of your business.

Goodness, your posts are insufferable.

Reactions: 6 users
I was going to say that A LOT of programs as mentioned above will accept the MCAT. At the business school at my Uni the MBA and Master of Finance programs all accept the MCAT as a replacement for GMAT or GRE or whatever you need to take. But then again if you bomb the MCAT out of carelessness you're pretty much screwed anyway you turn so.....

EDIT: only skimmed the thread... looks like just way too much garbage for me and my efforts of offering any usefull advice

Last edited: