Medicine, Music, and Languages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physic8888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tackled this issue many many many times with my family members and other peers, but I present this issue to you guys.

I'm at crossroads. I do not know whether I want dentistry or medicine. I've shadowed both, and come to the conclusion that Medicine is exciting, different and interesting (ER), while dentistry is interesting; however, at times, it is more monotone. (Root Canals, Cleaning)

My hobbies are composing music, learning languages, and traveling. But, I can't really earn income from those hobbies, therefore I want something to do that I can earn money to fund my hobbies. And yes I have thought about pharmacy, but that area does not interest me at all.

I guess the answer is clear on what to do- which is dentistry; however, my asian parents (go figure) keep pushing me to do medicine. They claim its more stable, and I can work anywhere in the world *while traveling*.

Basically, I want my cake- and eat it to. Or so the saying goes. I want to enjoy my job and have time for other things. I'm guessing medicine is out of the question then?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at crossroads. I do not know whether I want dentistry or medicine. I've shadowed both, and come to the conclusion that Medicine is exciting, different and interesting (ER), while dentistry is interesting; however, at times, it is more monotone. (Root Canals, Cleaning)

You could go into Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery; many Oral surgeons have and medical degree as well as a dental degree. Good way to bridge the gap there if you genuinely have an interest in both.

If you're convinced that dentistry is better fit for your goals, than there isn't really a problem of which you should do. The question should be how much influence should your parents have over your life and what you choose to do with it. Unfortunately, that's not a question we can answer.

However, I will say that at some point you will have your own family and your own kids and your own life and you will have to learn to do what's best for you and your family and not necessarily what your parents want. There's an unfortunate time (well, unfortunate to some) when the child becomes an adult and makes their own decisions. You may be at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine you'd have more free time for travel as a successful dentist than as a successful physician.

Do what you want to do. Forget what your parents want you to do.

Your instinct is correct. Go with dentistry. The last thing the world needs is a doctor whose two primary motives for getting into medicine are:
1. Fund my hobbies
2. Parents made me

It seems to me you've already made up your mind.

Go for dentistry, since that is what you want to do! Your future is your decision to make, not your parents' (and I don't really see why parents would be against their son/daughter wanting to become a dentist - it's a very respectable and stable career)

Go for dentistry, since that is what you want to do! Your future is your decision to make, not your parents' (and I don't really see why parents would be against their son/daughter wanting to become a dentist - it's a very respectable and stable career)

Plus, like 90% of the population probably doesn't draw the distinction that a dentist is not a kind of medical doctor - plus a DDS is still a professional doctorate degree... they'll have plenty to brag about!