medicine/surgery first or last?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saiyagirl

i just got my schedule for third year: I have medicine in the first block, ob/peds in the second block, neuro/psych in the third block, and surgery in the last block. (at my school ob is clumped with peds, and neuro is clumped with psych).

I'm interested in women's health and in neuro (i know...two very different things), so i want to keep those in the middle. i'm unsure how i feel about medicine first and surgery last. is it better to just get surgery out of the way? or is it better to learn all the bread and butter medicine before all the other rotations?

any insight would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

i did medicine first (followed by surgery and then peds) and, while i think it is more difficult (at least here) to honor medicine early in the year, i definitely think i'm having a much easier time as the year winds down.

it's more difficult to honor because it's a very demanding service and you're absolutely clueless about everything...how to write notes, how to present, everything. heck, the first time my pager went off, i looked around for 30 seconds before i figured out what it was. in fact, one attending told me that he rarely, if ever, gives honors in the first month solely because it's the first month. BUT, i also had no concept of what clinical medicine would be like from a JMS standpoint, so working my ass off was my norm. then, when i got to psych (9-4, no call, no weekends) i felt like i was working part time and my classmates that were doing medicine had a cruel reality check.

another potential downside is that your interns will be new and have less time to spend teaching you since they'll be struggling themselves. i found this to be somewhat advantageous, though, because they were so swamped that my pts really were my pts and i was expected (or maybe required) to be responsible for all aspects of their care with direct guidance from the senior resident (read: more experienced, better at teaching, more responsible for your grade). though frustrating at first, it ended up being great because we really felt like we were making a difference (ie. if we didn't call the consult, bug radiology, talk to the pathologists, etc the stuff didn't get done) and we learned not only a ton about medicine but also about what we were capable of when pushed harder than we wanted to be.

overall, i think medicine is a great first rotation. it encompasses nearly everything in some way and you should learn how to perform/document a complete H&P, how to present concisely, and, most importantly, how to approach complex pts systematically--all of which will help you regardless of what you end up doing. this is especially true since you're currently not considering medicine as a career, so you'll get "broken in" before you do the rotations in which you'll really need to shine.

hope this was helpful without being too long-winded. i certainly wouldn't worry about this if i were you. good luck and please post other ?s as they pop up.

peace.

If you already have your schedule and can't change it, don't analyze the order... use the time to look for some good books and good advice! I know a few people who reqested medicine 1st and want to go into medicine... they figure they'll be stronger and less burned out in the beginning. Every rotation order has its own advantages and disadvantes-- one of your advantages will be that you'll be motivated in the beginning, and you'll have the experience of the medicine clerkship for all of your other rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
here at michigan, some people think that it is easier to honor medicine if that is the first rotation. the attendings' standards and expectations are lower so it will be easier to impress them. that could be one advantage of doing medicine early. another advantage of doing medicine first is that it tends to be a very grueling but educationally broad experience. after you get through this rotation, you should be well-prepared to face what lies ahead.

best of luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.