Medicine vs. Dentistry - but from a different angle... (personality)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kerosene Hat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Most "medicine vs. dentistry" threads seem to look at admissions requirements, lifestyle, and salary. That's great, but none ever seem to look at the type of person who would make a good physician or dentist.

What type of personality traits and attributes do good physicians or dentists seem to have? What would be the type of person that would get the most out of working as a physician or dentist for the rest of their life?

No, I'm not talking about what traits make a person good at getting into medical or dental school. (I think that has been discussed extensively here.)

IMHO, Person best at getting into dental/medical school ≠ person who would truly be suited for a lifelong career in the aforementioned.

Instead, what makes the person suited for the career?

- Kerosene Hat

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Kerosene Hat,

I think that is a very difficult question. You come across a lot of different personalities both in medicine and in dentistry.

I personally think both medicine and dentistry require throughout their career hard work, thick skin and a kind heart.

The person has to want to help people and give. It is so depressing when you see dentists put their financial needs before the patients' need. In my career as a dentist I saw dentists rush and not explain to their patient their treatment plan and leaving the pt in the dark, offer the more expensive treatment just for their own financial benefit etc.

I think both careers ideally should have a lot of paternal/maternal characters who really care about a stranger's wellbeing.

Last edited: