Medicine - yes or no?

euneny7879

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I've been spending a lot of time recently on the internet, reading posts and searching all across the web about something that could help me solve my problem. I've also read a lot of posts written by people with the same problem as mine - those who are no so sure about Medical school.

I should point right away a few important things: I'm currently 18 Years old soon to be 19. Due to some personal stuff going on (they don't really matter), in January of this year I moved to Germany. Since March I've been studying the German language and my goal is to finish the language course and apply here to University.

So, back to the problem: I don't really remember my self being little and saying that i want to be a doctor. I found great interest in science and the human body when I was in high school, and chose to study Chemistry + Biology. After high school, "life" happened. A lot of things changed so as my point of view. I am currently very very interested about mental health issues/problems, more than the anatomy/physiology itself. Talking at first to friends and family members who know me very well, and know how much i Love helping other people and help solve problems - they told me that I have 2 options: Either i apply to Medical school and afterwards do a Psychiatric Residency, or do a B.Sc and M.Sc in Psychology (later doing a psych-specialty in clinical Psychology).

I have no idea what to choose and what to do. My desire is working with people. Hearing their problems and helping them. I know the difference between Psychology and M.D yet I have no clue about how to make my decision.

PLEASE - ANY ONE THAT CAN HELP AND RESPOND - I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HEAR ANY ADVICE.

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

The German education system is different than the US's system; if memory serves me right, you can enter medical school as an undergraduate in Germany because it's actually a Bachelor's degree. The only caveat is that the lectures will be in German.

You seem more attracted to the therapeutic side of psychology than the medicinal aspects of psychiatry. Could you stand the years of hardcore biology for a medical degree? That's your call.

Getting a medical degree would offer flexibility; for example, if you were on rotations and found a field that appealed to you more, you could pursue a residency in that instead.

I wish you the best regardless!

I would ask yourself if you're interested in medicine in general (you will have to work hard studying a lot of stuff that has nothing to do directly with pyschology while in med school) and if you think you have the work ethic and dedication to make it through. Are you willing to dump that much of your life into medical school/residency before you can even begin to help people as you describe? These are only questions that you can answer.

The good news is, there are many other ways to work in mental health. Social work, guidance counseling, nursing, psychology, etc. are all possibilities that would require a lot less money, time and effort than medical school. I know it feels scary to think that you must have your life figured out right this minute but if at all feasible, consider volunteering or working part-time in some of these other fields to get a feel for it. My sister was in a very similar situation to you recently (she worked with the juvenile justice department, at a half-way house, etc) and is now pursuing nursing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!
I've been spending a lot of time recently on the internet, reading posts and searching all across the web about something that could help me solve my problem. I've also read a lot of posts written by people with the same problem as mine - those who are no so sure about Medical school.

I should point right away a few important things: I'm currently 18 Years old soon to be 19. Due to some personal stuff going on (they don't really matter), in January of this year I moved to Germany. Since March I've been studying the German language and my goal is to finish the language course and apply here to University.

So, back to the problem: I don't really remember my self being little and saying that i want to be a doctor. I found great interest in science and the human body when I was in high school, and chose to study Chemistry + Biology. After high school, "life" happened. A lot of things changed so as my point of view. I am currently very very interested about mental health issues/problems, more than the anatomy/physiology itself. Talking at first to friends and family members who know me very well, and know how much i Love helping other people and help solve problems - they told me that I have 2 options: Either i apply to Medical school and afterwards do a Psychiatric Residency, or do a B.Sc and M.Sc in Psychology (later doing a psych-specialty in clinical Psychology).

I have no idea what to choose and what to do. My desire is working with people. Hearing their problems and helping them. I know the difference between Psychology and M.D yet I have no clue about how to make my decision.

PLEASE - ANY ONE THAT CAN HELP AND RESPOND - I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HEAR ANY ADVICE.

THANK YOU!

Why don't you try shadowing a Psychiatrist?

I've had a friend in Germany actually! She wanted to go into medicine as well but was not ready to commit to any field. She volunteered and shadowed a couple of different doctors and professors from school. Sometimes you just need experience to really get your decision made. Try contacting the university you want to go to and see who the directors and head of psychology and biology are. Then, contact them through mail or go see them. If you talk to them, they will likely help you in making your decision. :)