Mediocre Applicant Couples Matching...How Many Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zanzi9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I figured I'd stop combing posts to find a situation identical to mine and just ask.

I'm PGY4 applying for neurology this fall and I'm couples matching with someone applying to Derm. I am admittedly a mediocre applicant. I go to a top 20 med school, 5/7 honors on clinical clerkships (high pass in others), have a couple publications, excellent ECs, and very, very strong recommendation letters...but I have a step 1 score of 209. My practice tests for Step 2 were much higher (240's) but I don't have my results back yet.

My SO has a 271 on Step 1, 6/7 honors, ECs, great letters etc, etc.

How many programs should I be applying to? So far I have a list of 51 :eek: programs I'm considering (not including prelims), but I'm not sure what to cut down.

For an example, if applying to programs of tiers A, B, and C (most to least competitive) within a city:
Program A - slim chance of invite, unsure if I'm willing to give up that chance by not applying
Program B - I'd be thrilled to interview but no guarantee that they'd send me an invite
Program C - probably better chance of getting an interview but I'm not that excited about the program

It seems reasonable to apply to all tiers, but do that for every city my SO is applying to, and it adds up. If I try to whittle down the number I apply to, should I be whittling the top tiers or the bottom tiers?

Frankly I'm not happy with the guidance I've received and would really appreciate any input. It's difficult to really gauge how many interview invites people actually receive after submitting applications on ERAS, complicated by couples matching as well as an overall decent application with a big red flag of a STEP 1 score. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! I figured I'd stop combing posts to find a situation identical to mine and just ask.

I'm PGY4 applying for neurology this fall and I'm couples matching with someone applying to Derm. I am admittedly a mediocre applicant. I go to a top 20 med school, 5/7 honors on clinical clerkships (high pass in others), have a couple publications, excellent ECs, and very, very strong recommendation letters...but I have a step 1 score of 209. My practice tests for Step 2 were much higher (240's) but I don't have my results back yet.

My SO has a 271 on Step 1, 6/7 honors, ECs, great letters etc, etc.

How many programs should I be applying to? So far I have a list of 51 :eek: programs I'm considering (not including prelims), but I'm not sure what to cut down.

For an example, if applying to programs of tiers A, B, and C (most to least competitive) within a city:
Program A - slim chance of invite, unsure if I'm willing to give up that chance by not applying
Program B - I'd be thrilled to interview but no guarantee that they'd send me an invite
Program C - probably better chance of getting an interview but I'm not that excited about the program

It seems reasonable to apply to all tiers, but do that for every city my SO is applying to, and it adds up. If I try to whittle down the number I apply to, should I be whittling the top tiers or the bottom tiers?

Frankly I'm not happy with the guidance I've received and would really appreciate any input. It's difficult to really gauge how many interview invites people actually receive after submitting applications on ERAS, complicated by couples matching as well as an overall decent application with a big red flag of a STEP 1 score. Thank you!

Honestly, I think your Step 1 score isn't that big of a deal. Your application otherwise looks good and neuro is not very competitive unless you're shooting for the top programs. As far as your list of 51 programs, are you currently top heavy (Program A's and B's) or bottom heavy (Program B's and C's)?

Honestly, I think your Step 1 score isn't that big of a deal. Your application otherwise looks good and neuro is not very competitive unless you're shooting for the top programs. As far as your list of 51 programs, are you currently top heavy (Program A's and B's) or bottom heavy (Program B's and C's)?

Currently very top heavy. If a meaningful rank list could be made for neurology, my current application would look like the top 51 programs