Mediocre grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManwithaPlan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 2 C-'s in chem I and II. B's in Bio I and II. Taking orgo right now and looking at a B-. A in psychology, and sociology but i dont think that counts for much. I get A's in everything else, and my overall GPA is a 3.4. My EC is extremely weak as well, the only thing I do is volunteer at a doctors clinic. I am currently a sophomore and medicine is the only thing I aspire for. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should do to further put myself in a better standing with medical schools when application time comes around? I am also studying for my MCAT and on practice tests score about 28's, but I'm still working on that.

One thing I was thinking about was becoming a medical scribe.
Is there any impact of retaking classes? At my university they don't erase or average the grade,they show both.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any impact of retaking classes? At my university they don't erase or average the grade,they show both.
You might want to look into AACOMAS grade replacement policies (and devise a dramatic turn around on your scores).

It doesn't matter what your university does. You have to report all of your grades and AMCAS (MD application) or AACOMAS (DO application) will calculate a GPA, independent of whatever GPA your university says you have.

AMCAS does not do grade replacement. If you retake, the new grade will be averaged with the old grade.

AACOMAS generally does grade replacement. If you retake the same course, the new grade will replace the old grade.

At this point with a 3.4/28 and weak EC's, an MD is not really in the cards for you. I'm assuming your BCPM GPA is much lower than a 3.4 (<3.0). I agree with gyngyn, look into grade replacement and bring up your GPA for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair, you're still a sophomore. You have time to raise your GPA, improve your EC's, and dominate the MCAT. If you feel like you're going to be unable to raise your GPA significantly before graduation, though, I agree with the above and recommend you look into grade replacement and think about DO. Just don't panic and do the best you can from now on, and reevaluate where you're at in a semester.

If your GPA is still too low in a semester or two, I'd start retaking classes / considering a gap year (so that your grades from senior year can be taken into consideration).

You've taken 5 BCPM classes, just turn it around and get straight As from now. You haven't done that much damage. I don't think you need to do grade replacement just yet... I've seen many people do worse damage and turn it around even later than you (me lol).