MD & DO Mediocre student at Ivy League School cGPA ~3.4, sGPA ~3.2, MCAT 32

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisSSK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got my March MCAT Score back as a 32 (10v, 12PS, 10BS) and I'm sort of freaking out because I was really hoping to do much better (~36) to make up for my bad GPA...

I'm actually fairly new to premed and so don't have much hospital hours, but here's what I have so far:

• Bass Guitarist for 7 years now (3 years in college, 4 in HS) for Christian groups across campus (I'm not Christian though)
  • Writer for school Global Health Magazine freshman year
  • Research in Social Neuroscience/Psychology since freshman year (paid for 1 year)
  • Medical Research (not clinical probably) shadowing/research in robotic neuroscience at Hallym University in freshman summer
  • Cancer Patient Services (student group on campus) - ~30 hours
  • Shadowing - will have about 20 hours at the end of this term
  • Accepted to work in Immunology/Virology lab at our hospital (DHMC)
What do you guys think? My GPA's should be going up this term and sGPA is probably higher (our school doesn't calculate sGPA so sorta guessed) since I didn't count my Neuroscience courses (I'm a Neuro major).

Also not really sure what schools to apply to...

Best regards,
ThisisSSK

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just got my March MCAT Score back as a 32 (10v, 12PS, 10BS) and I'm sort of freaking out because I was really hoping to do much better (~36) to make up for my bad GPA...

I'm actually fairly new to premed and so don't have much hospital hours, but here's what I have so far:

• Bass Guitarist for 7 years now (3 years in college, 4 in HS) for Christian groups across campus (I'm not Christian though)
  • Writer for school Global Health Magazine freshman year
  • Research in Social Neuroscience/Psychology since freshman year (paid for 1 year)
  • Medical Research (not clinical probably) shadowing/research in robotic neuroscience at Hallym University in freshman summer
  • Cancer Patient Services (student group on campus) - ~30 hours
  • Shadowing - will have about 20 hours at the end of this term
  • Accepted to work in Immunology/Virology lab at our hospital (DHMC)
What do you guys think? My GPA's should be going up this term and sGPA is probably higher (our school doesn't calculate sGPA so sorta guessed) since I didn't count my Neuroscience courses (I'm a Neuro major).

Also not really sure what schools to apply to...

Best regards,
ThisisSSK
Considering that your GPA needs more improvement than this term will provide, and that your patient-related ECs are weak, I'd encourage you to wait at least a year before you apply to med schools, whether MD or DO. I'd also suggest you consider engaging in some regular nonmedical community service that helps those in need. Teaching and peer leadership also benefit a med school application.