MEDPATH 2015 Ohio State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If invited, are you applying to the MEDPATH program for 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

longroad2here

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for individuals who have been invited to apply through the MEDPATH program at Ohio State University for 2015. Please keep us up to date. I've been invited and will be applying, so I wanted to kick this off!!! Let's go folks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was invited to apply also. Crossing fingers for interview although I think we have a long wait.

Reactions: 1 user
I was invited to apply also. Crossing fingers for interview although I think we have a long wait.

It is a long wait! I'll be agonizing until March. I'm hoping for the best. Are you a first time applicant? Best wishes to you. Fingers crossed too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got it too and submitted the secondary application in october.

Yes I already applied for it now I'm waiting to hear back if I got an interview. How about you?

Last edited:
congrats you guys, that is awesome. i am really hoping to get a MEDPATH consideration, but I'm afraid my stats are pretty abysmal. African American male from the inner city housing projects of Detroit, 3.15s 3.2c masters 2.5s 2.8c undergrad (at a top 20), 26 mcat (8v,8p,10b) but i had some pretty severe circumstances that contributed to my undergrad..if you guys don't mind sharing your stats that would be great, and any brutally honest opinions on my chances are also welcomed. hope you guys get in, and enjoy the holidays.

When was your file complete at Ohio State? They are still sending out MEDPATH invitations as far as I know. They'll send an email to the address they have on file indicating that your application status has changed. Once you log in to the portal, the MEDPATH application will be in there.

You need at least a 21 on the MCAT which you have. You also need either your science GPA or your AO GPA to be at least a 3.0. That'll be on your verified AMCAS. In addition to this I think the admissions commitee has to recommend your file for MEDPATH consideration

Thanks a lot for your reply. I appreciate the information and I guess based on this I am technically qualified, I was more so wondering if we know what goes into specifically deciding on whether or not to recommend a student for MEDPATH. is it just an " alternative to a waitlist " or do they focus on specific factors of a students application i.e. first generation, URM, non- traditional? I wasn't complete until October 7th, so I guess I may not be hearing anything for a while

Ohhh!!! I misunderstood. The student should be disadvantaged and/or underrepresented in the field of medicine.

It is not a waitlist alternative. It is a postbac year followed by the 4 years of medical school. The acceptance to medical school after postbac is conditional based upon if the student maintains a 3.0, achieves a certain score on the MCAT in the Spring, and successfully complete a summer prematriculation program next summer.

This thread is for individuals who have been invited to apply through the MEDPATH program at Ohio State University for 2015. Please keep us up to date. I've been invited and will be applying, so I wanted to kick this off!!! Let's go folks!!
Congrats for getting the invite to MedPath. Seems like a wonderful program. I was complete at this school since beginning of Sept but have not heard anything. I previously talked to the person in charge of the post-bacc program and was told that my numbers which were mid 20 for MCAT and 3.1GPA exceed their numbers (I do not know what that means lol!) because that is what the program is designed for because those numbers are not "competitive". But I have not heard anything yet so not sure what they are up to. In the mean time, got some interviews at others school (I have stellar graduate GPA/EC) and will see how that plays out. Good luck!

Congrats for getting the invite to MedPath. Seems like a wonderful program. I was complete at this school since beginning of Sept but have not heard anything. I previously talked to the person in charge of the post-bacc program and was told that my numbers which were mid 20 for MCAT and 3.1GPA exceed their numbers (I do not know what that means lol!) because that is what the program is designed for because those numbers are not "competitive". But I have not heard anything yet so not sure what they are up to. In the mean time, got some interviews at others school (I have stellar graduate GPA/EC) and will see how that plays out. Good luck!
I think I've seen you in the MMC forum, right? Congrats on your interviews and best wishes for an acceptance this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I've seen you in the MMC forum, right? Congrats on your interviews and best wishes for an acceptance this cycle.
Yep, just did interview at MMC and have two more coming up soon. Hop it all works out. I loved MMC and I hope they will take me:scared: and best of luck with your endeavors too and hope you get into program of your choice!

There is an interview because essentially you're inteeviewing for your medical school seat since it's conditionally guaranteed for the following year.

I got the MedPath app too, I'll be filling it out right after finals are done. Seems kinda long, but the program's worth it. Do we have to interview for the program too, or are we just selected?

It is a long wait! I'll be agonizing until March. I'm hoping for the best. Are you a first time applicant? Best wishes to you. Fingers crossed too.

Yes im first time applicant but will be a reappliant for sure. i applied to schools that had an attached postbac program of some sort that required AMCAS application. good luck to you as well, fingers and toes crossed!

i'm so impatient to hear back this wait is not fun at all.

i'm so impatient to hear back this wait is not fun at all.

I know right! Le sigh!! Lol. The MEDPATH app isn't due until January 31, 2015, so we probably won't hear anything until February about interviews for March dates and probably March/April about acceptances. This has been the trend in previous years.

Is there a way to update them of grades from the fall semester? Should we even update them or is it not worth it?
Why update? The program looks for people with low stat (I was told if you have 25 MCAT you do not qualify) and I am not sure how updating them helps you. Perhaps they focus on GPA and not the MCAT but they said I will not get their app because of mere 3.2 with 25ish MCAT so the lower the better!

I think updating might work wonders for regular programs but for MedPath my hunch is that as long as they like you, writing a thorough essay might be beneficial (again I applied back in Aug and did not get MedPath app because of average numbers so if I had more GPA and MCAT, i will definitely not qualify). My advice is this: if you already got the app which I assume you have then focus on those essays. I am not sure if sending in updated numbers will hurt or benefit you (In my case more numbers seemed to hurt me). May be just ask them! Good luck though.

I think updating might work wonders for regular programs but for MedPath my hunch is that as long as they like you, writing a thorough essay might be beneficial (again I applied back in Aug and did not get MedPath app because of average numbers so if I had more GPA and MCAT, i will definitely not qualify). My advice is this: if you already got the app which I assume you have then focus on those essays. I am not sure if sending in updated numbers will hurt or benefit you (In my case more numbers seemed to hurt me). May be just ask them! Good luck though.
I agree. You don't really need to do
Any updating. I'm so super exhausted with all the essays from this application cycle. I'm just trying to hang in there and not begin rambling in this MEDPATH application since it's the last application of this cycle. My brain is fried.

I updated them with my mcat score and was told she would put it in file but it wouldn't be considered due be taken after sept. but don't they have an mcat cut off once your in the program in order to matriculate anyway? so eventually they would have to consider it? but anywho, i don't think they are about updates too much.

I updated them with my mcat score and was told she would put it in file but it wouldn't be considered due be taken after sept. but don't they have an mcat cut off once your in the program in order to matriculate anyway? so eventually they would have to consider it? but anywho, i don't think they are about updates too much.

I was told that regardless of your MCAT score you would still have to retake the test in the spring and achieve the required score on that particular administration of the exam.[/QUOTE]

I feel like such a bum!! I still haven't completed the MEDPATH app. It's like I'm having horrible writer's block and severe burn out. Ugh. I have to get on track.

Anyone still working on their MEDPATH application? I haven't submitted yet. Sigh...so burned out. I gotta get it in though. This weekend is my personal deadline. I don't want to wait until the last day in January and have some mishap.

Anyone still working on their MEDPATH application? I haven't submitted yet. Sigh...so burned out. I gotta get it in though. This weekend is my personal deadline. I don't want to wait until the last day in January and have some mishap.
Hi fellow traveler, keep it going it aighnt time to quit! Is the deadline for this thing Jan? I hope I get rejected from the regular program so that I can at least get the app for this program. They are still holding me up and I dont think I stand a chance but I am just hopping they love me lol! Good luck though!

Hi fellow traveler, keep it going it aighnt time to quit! Is the deadline for this thing Jan? I hope I get rejected from the regular program so that I can at least get the app for this program. They are still holding me up and I dont think I stand a chance but I am just hopping they love me lol! Good luck though!
Thanks for the encouragement. It is appreciated. This "burnout" thing...I used to think it wasn't real, but I found out this cycle!! Yes, the deadline is the last day in January for the MEDPATH app. I'm working on my remaining essays today and tomorrow. You haven't gotten an interview or a rejection from the regular admissions yet? That could be a good thing. If you can get accepted on regular admissioms right away without the additional post-bac year....heck, they rejected me pretty quickly!! Lol! I've got my fingers crossed for you and hoping for the best. You never know what God has in store for you, but I'm sure it's going to be great!! Soooo nervously impatient and excited!

Thanks for the encouragement. It is appreciated. This "burnout" thing...I used to think it wasn't real, but I found out this cycle!! Yes, the deadline is the last day in January for the MEDPATH app. I'm working on my remaining essays today and tomorrow. You haven't gotten an interview or a rejection from the regular admissions yet? That could be a good thing. If you can get accepted on regular admissioms right away without the additional post-bac year....heck, they rejected me pretty quickly!! Lol! I've got my fingers crossed for you and hoping for the best. You never know what God has in store for you, but I'm sure it's going to be great!! Soooo nervously impatient and excited!
Thanks for making my day a bit brighter! I feel ya and this whole process is so nerve wrecking and sometimes I feel like it is designed to weed out the light hearted ones. But we are not light hearted so march on. It is a difficult and arduous process but I am sure it is worth it in the end and we just have to aim for the stars and there is always light at the end of the tunnel---overused terms but it is is so true! Best of luck and I hope you get into this or any other program so that you can be a great doc you have always meant to be!

Reactions: 1 users

I don't think they will reject your app, your taking about OSU right? Does your status say application closed? If so I think that's how it remain since they sent you invite to postbac

Almost 4am here and I finally completed the MEDPATH essays and submitted the form. Sigh!!! I have to be up in 4 hours for work.

Anyway, when you click submit on the form, should it give a confirmation page or something to assure you that it's been submitted? How do I know for sure that it was submitted? Will the MEDPATH staff send me an email?

Almost 4am here and I finally completed the MEDPATH essays and submitted the form. Sigh!!! I have to be up in 4 hours for work.

Anyway, when you click submit on the form, should it give a confirmation page or something to assure you that it's been submitted? How do I know for sure that it was submitted? Will the MEDPATH staff send me an email?

I got a confirmation email like a week later.

The suspense is killing me!!! I guess it'll be about 5-6 weeks before we hear anything based upon last year's MEDPATH thread and when the first interview invitation was mentioned.

Is it correct that only 100 applicants per cycle are invited to apply for MEDPATH and of that 100, they offer interviews to 30 people?

I don't think they will reject your app, your taking about OSU right? Does your status say application closed? If so I think that's how it remain since they sent you invite to postbac
I see! I do not see any change on the site regarding the status--just says secondary received. Also, I have not received the postbac app because they said MCAT above 24 does not qualify so I probably wont be getting the app (told by the director of the program back in the fall). Good luck to you though!

I'm a loooong time lurker of this site, and this is my first post! I was invited to apply for MEDPATH and submitted the application back in October. I haven't heard much good news from M.D. schools yet so I'm hoping OSU gives me a chance!

After I saw my MCAT score, I decided to apply D.O. as well. Luckily, I got an interview at one of those and waiting to hear from them about my admissions decision.

This process will drive you crazy if you let it; hang in there and remain positive everyone! We're going to be doctors one way or another!

Reactions: 3 users
Crossing my fingers so hard someone reads this...does anyone know if the MEDPATH committee receives the secondary application from the medical school? I'm curious because I appear to have tremendous overlap between my secondary application and one of the essays on the MEDPATH application and I'm debating whether I should make edits.

Can anyone offer any feedback? Did you all write completely different essays for the medical school secondary and the MEDPATH app? Do you all recommend I make edits? Thanks

(Yes, I know, today is the deadline lol. This med school app process has been brutal)

Crossing my fingers so hard someone reads this...does anyone know if the MEDPATH committee receives the secondary application from the medical school? I'm curious because I appear to have tremendous overlap between my secondary application and one of the essays on the MEDPATH application and I'm debating whether I should make edits.

Can anyone offer any feedback? Did you all write completely different essays for the medical school secondary and the MEDPATH app? Do you all recommend I make edits? Thanks

(Yes, I know, today is the deadline lol. This med school app process has been brutal)

Yes, they receive your documents from the medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
So just to kind of inspire some conversation, does anyone know how are the courses chosen for us? Do we have a say? Are they generally the same for all the Medpath participants, or do we not even see each other during the school year? Thanks for any info you can provide!
I think I remember seeing something about taking classes with undergrads. I'm not sure if that's all the classes with undergrads or just the few science courses we individually may have to retake. I hope the program fosters some sort of community/ collaborative atmosphere so we're all in the same classes, see each other etc etc

curious to know, what classes did you guys say you would possibly retake?

That's what I read on all the previous forums, so I think so
It's going to be a super long 4-5 week wait. Ugh. Patience is so difficult especially at this point in the application cycle. The great part, for the fortunate few who'll be selected, is they'll know for sure that they're going to become doctors at the end of it all.

I wonder how many of the 100 invited people to apply actually apply.

Last edited: