MEDPATH 2015 Ohio State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If invited, are you applying to the MEDPATH program for 2015?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I asked about that and was told that it hasn't been determined yet.

Probably the 70th - 75% tile...Just a guess. I really wish we had a clue as to what they look for in our apps...scores obviously aren't it.

Members don't see this ad.

I see! I do not see any change on the site regarding the status--just says secondary received. Also, I have not received the postbac app because they said MCAT above 24 does not qualify so I probably wont be getting the app (told by the director of the program back in the fall). Good luck to you though!

Where did you get this 24 mcat cutoff from? That seems like a low #, no one can get into an m.d school with that mcat so strange that would be the cut for a postbac such as this

Edit: oh I see you must have talked to the office

Are any of you still waiting to hear back from medschools? Any upcoming interviews?

I just want it all to be over!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get this 24 mcat cutoff from? That seems like a low #, no one can get into an m.d school with that mcat so strange that would be the cut for a postbac such as this

Edit: oh I see you must have talked to the office
Yeah, talked to the program director numerous times and she said the same thing. And I called the regular office of admissions and they pretty much said the same thing. It does not really matter cause I just got two more interviews from Chicago area today and it seems like I have a chance to go to meaaaad school this year! We will see!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, talked to the program director numerous times and she said the same thing. And I called the regular office of admissions and they pretty much said the same thing. It does not really matter cause I just got two more interviews from Chicago area today and it seems like I have a chance to go to meaaaad school this year! We will see!

Congrats!

That's is a better deal!!

Hey guys! So yesterday I got into a D.O. medical school! I'm so relieved. I'm not sure what I would do if I got offered this program. It would be between deciding to wait a year, retake the mcat, and go for M.D., or go straight into medical school through D.O.
I literally don't know what I would do. What do you guys think? :shrug:

Last edited:
Take the acceptance! That's a guarantee. This program, while great, also gives the chance for us not to get to med school (if we don't meet mcat/GPA requirements). We all want to be a doctor, so will two letters change that (DO or MD)? But hey, I'm a little bias. One less obviously competitive applicant in Medpath increases my odds

Hey guys! So yesterday I got into a D.O. medical school! I'm so relieved. I'm not sure what I would do if I got offered this program. It would be between deciding to wait a year, retake the mcat, and go for M.D., or go straight into medical school through D.O.
I literally don't know what I would do. What do you guys? :shrug:

You better take it!!

Reactions: 1 user
I literally don't know what I would do. What do you guys think? :shrug:
Congrats. A sure thing is always best! DOs and MDs are doing the same residency programs these days dependent upon Step Exam scores. There's very little difference actually. Go for it. YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!! Yay!!

Thanks for all the advice, yall! I'm going to go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think if we take the new mcat before we start Medpath, and we do well enough (meet or exceed the requirement they decide), then we don't have to take the mcat in the spring? The new registration opens this Wednesday and I wanted to see if I should register

I think they make you retake regardless.

Last edited:
Bummer, I thought since I would have the summer off, might as well as study and knock it out. Oh well, this waiting is killing me
I asked a while back. You would still have to take it on the exact date they decide for the Spring. It won't hurt to start studying now though considering that you'll only have that one opportunity to get the score you need when next Spring gets here.

Last edited:
I asked a while back. You would still have to take it on the exact date they decide for the Spring. It won't hurt to start studying now though considering that you'll only have that one opportunity to get the score you need when next Spring.

I was thinking about this as well,, getting started now. That would be devastating if you don't make your score in the spring. If you continually review you won't forget the material

Bummer, I thought since I would have the summer off, might as well as study and knock it out. Oh well, this waiting is killing me

Me too! Being on sdn with all you nervous folks isn't helping either! Lol

Me too! Being on sdn with all you nervous folks isn't helping either! Lol
We still have about another 4 weeks to wait, so we might as well get comfy! Lol. For those that receive invitations then it'll be another month wait after that for the actual interview. Sigh.

Hey Everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while, but someone recently messaged me asking for some more info about the program so I'll share what I sent them. I'm sure you all have been to the programs site (http://medicine.osu.edu/students/diversity/programs/medpath/pages/index.aspx). So I'll just add to it.

Fall semester required classes: Graduate Physio 1, Medical Terminology (if you haven't taken it).

They suggest electives based on classes you may not have done well in. But ultimately it's up to you. I suggest picking classes based on your MCAT weaknesses. You must have at least 12 credits.

Spring semester required classes: Graduate Physio 2, Graduate Histology, MCAT Princeton Review class.

One elective.

Take MCAT

Summer: Medical school classes: Human gross anatomy, cross-sectional anatomy, neuroanatomy, and immunology

Most classes you take with your fellow MEDPATHERS.

As far as the interview goes Dr. Capers posted a good guide for the types of questions they ask. Who better to learn from then the man who may actually interview you right?
(http://medicine.osu.edu/admissions/md/tips-and-advice/pages/index.aspx)

()

Just be yourself, and don't try to fool them cause they will know. Know everything about your primary, secondary, and MEDPATH applications, because they will study it before hand, and have it in front of them during the interview.

They WILL ask about weaknesses and the "problem things" in your application. Just be honest and make sure you explain what you learned from your past mistakes.

They will ask the obvious "why be a doctor?" "why go here" questions. So know about the school, and ask questions. I know you are interested in going there so show it.

AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WEAR APPROPRIATE INTERVIEW CLOTHING!

I am going to try to log on when I can in case anyone has more questions.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while, but someone recently messaged me asking for some more info about the program so I'll share what I sent them. I'm sure you all have been to the programs site (http://medicine.osu.edu/students/diversity/programs/medpath/pages/index.aspx). So I'll just add to it.

Fall semester required classes: Graduate Physio 1, Medical Terminology (if you haven't taken it).

They suggest electives based on classes you may not have done well in. But ultimately it's up to you. I suggest picking classes based on your MCAT weaknesses. You must have at least 12 credits.

Spring semester required classes: Graduate Physio 2, Graduate Histology, MCAT Princeton Review class.

One elective.

Take MCAT

Summer: Medical school classes: Human gross anatomy, cross-sectional anatomy, neuroanatomy, and immunology

As far as the interview goes Dr. Capers posted a good guide for the types of questions they ask. Who better to learn from then the man who may actually interview you right?

()

Just be yourself, and don't try to fool them cause they will know. Know everything about your primary, secondary, and MEDPATH applications, because they will study it before hand, and have it in front of them during the interview.

They WILL ask about weaknesses and the "problem things" in your application. Just be honest and make sure you explain what you learned from your past mistakes.

They will ask the obvious "why be a doctor?" "why go here" questions. So know about the school, and ask questions. I know you are interested in going there so show it.

Good Luck!

Are you currently in program now or you already matriculated into their med school? Thanks for the post!!

Hey Everyone,

One elective.

Take MCAT

()

Good Luck!

1. Would you say that it's been relatively manageable maintaining the necessary GPA?
2. What is the new MCAT score requirement now that the exam has changed?
3. When you select your electives, do you also have to take the lab component to the course as well?
4. Are there support systems in place to help students to succeed and ultimately matriculate into the medical school?
5. Does everyone get a scholarship for the MEDPATH program?
6. Are their activities to develop a healthy, close-knit relationship among MEDPATH participants? Are the classes small and more personal?

Thanks for your time.

@ModyzMalak I'm currently in the program.
@longroad2here
1. Yeah it's very manageable the first semester. This semester has ALOT more work, but since the others and I did so well the first semester none of us are really worried about hitting the 3.0.
2.Unfortunately we don't know yet either. We won't even have our official scores until the fall (after Med 1 classes start). They may end up doing something with our preliminary scores but no one knows for sure. So shoot for the stars.
3.With some classes its automatically included. So a 4 credit class would have 3 for the lecture and 1 credit for lab. If it is separate you'll have to ask Nikki.
4. Oh yeah. They really want you to succeed so they give you any resources you need, but you have to take initiative and get help if you need it. Nikki is there if you can't seem to find the right resources, or if you need any help at all.
5. Yeah. Varying amounts based on need, ect.
6. Not really. It's up to you all how close you want to be, and if you all want to hang out. But building friendships with your cohort is the best support system you can have. Some classes are small. The graduate classes mostly, but the undergraduate has alot of students.

You are very welcome.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to all of you, and may the odds ever be in your favor. FYI i am an applicant too.

I just wanted to say GOOD LUCK to all of you, and may the odds ever be in your favor. FYI i am an applicant too.
Thanks! This wait is excruciating. Just to think that in around 2 weeks we'll know if we've gotten a shot at the chance of a lifetime.....INCREDIBLE!! My stomach has been in knots since I submitted the application! I'm hoping for some good news!

Last edited:
Thanks! This wait is excruciating. Just to think that in around 2 weeks we'll know if we've gotten a shot at the chance of a lifetime.....INCREDIBLE!! My stomach has been in knots since I submitted the application! I hoping for some good news!
All will well. You did your part now time to let your hard-work do the rest and get you an interview.

So to help ease some of the tension with this waiting, and for curiosity's sake: where are you guys from? I'm from California
From freezing Pennsylvania! Legit 3 degrees right now. I envy you Cali folks!

Everyone is so quiet!! On some of the previous MEDPATH threads, the folks would keep in touch and chat often. I guess we're just so consumed with the "process." Geesh!! Anyway. Lol

Everyone is so quiet!! On some of the previous MEDPATH threads, the folks would keep in touch and chat often. I guess we're just so consumed with the "process." Geesh!! Anyway. Lol

Are there folks still waiting on other schools? Or is Medpath a definite if accepted? Basically how are you all doing in this process? Lol

Are there folks still waiting on other schools? Or is Medpath a definite if accepted? Basically how are you all doing in this process? Lol

At this stage, you have to go wherever you get an opportunity. I have a few applications still in the works, but I'd love to attend Ohio State if given the chance.

Very true. I'm still waiting on a few schools. Medpath is a great program but if I can get that acceptance letter for a med school, then I'm definitely going that route.

Definitely going here if given opportunity. Also waiting to hear from other postbacs and master's programs.

Next week will be the big week right? The first week in March has been their usual timeframe or so it appears from previous years. They seem to stick
Pretty close to that.

Definitely going here if given opportunity. Also waiting to hear from other postbacs and master's programs.
Cool, I'm considering applying to Drexel's DPMS program too, but their app isn't due till mid April. Similar program to Medpath too but again, I'm tryna wait and see how this process goes

Cool, I'm considering applying to Drexel's DPMS program too, but their app isn't due till mid April. Similar program to Medpath too but again, I'm tryna wait and see how this process goes
Same here. Drexel DPMS is an option, but I'd rather be at OSU plus the Drexel program doesn't accept anyone until June. That's so late. I applied to their med school at Drexel and haven't heard a word 5 months later. It was a long shot anyway, so I'll take it as a "no." I have 1 other post-bac app pending as well as 1 more regular MD app but that school also has a Masters program with guaranteed linkage to their med school.

It has been really tough times waiting. Hopefully we will hear something within 2 weeks. Actually I got into DPMS program last year but unfortunately I was not able to attend the program for personal reason.

Do we know if we are likely to find out next week (like did someone have info from the adcom people), or is this just based on previous years?
It's based on past year's threads on the message boards. Let's hope the trend continues for us this year!

For those who are wondering about when we'll hear back from the MEDPATH program:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 141
So out of ~100 apps they give ~30 interviews. Hm

So how are we paying for this since it's not a degree granting program.. means no fin.aid coverage. No federal loans. I know site says limited assistance available but I'm sure that's not for everyone. Sooo private loans??

Lol you are on it
Lol! I can't help it! This application cycle is really helping me to work on my patience.

Yes, apparently 30 lucky folks will get a shot at interviews. There are only 15 spots in the program, some of which can possibly be taken up by individuals who interviewed during the regular med admissions cycle. Oh boy oh boy!! Lol