Medscape 2012 Surgeon Compensation Report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/generalsurgery?src=ptalk&titleCTA

So apparently it just came out...was wondering what you guys thought?

Are these reports accurate at all?

I didnt see them mention their response rates and exactly to whom they sent their surveys. It seems grossly accurate though. I wish they had done a breakdown by specialty - does this include other surgical specialties such as Ortho or ENT etc? All I know is that I gotta keep trying to convince my wife to move to Chicago once residency's over!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there is a general drop in compensation across the field of medicine...welcome to 21st century U.S healthcare :)

I don't understand the drop in GS compensation. :confused:

I believe the survey had 25,000 or so physicians and last year was around 15,000. The drop in income reflects the income of these participants ((~5% which is around 1200 general surgeons), of note:

In 2011, surgeons earned a mean income of $265,000 – a definite decrease from the previous year. About 9% of surgeons earned $500,000 or more, down from about 13% in last year's survey. Some 19% earned $100,000 or less. In 2010, about 10% earned that amount.

Having twice as many individuals earning $100,000 will certainly lower the mean.

my questions is who's the surgeon seeing more than 200 patients /week.:eek: It seems about 2% of surgeons are doing that.

(It does suck that surgeons are making less than Anes =309k. But the study seems flawed. It lists plastic surgeons as making mean $270,000)

Yeah, def a bit flawed/skewed. But I guess this gives a rough idea of how ppl do?

BTW, how much do plastics surgeons make on average? 400K?

my questions is who's the surgeon seeing more than 200 patients /week.:eek: It seems about 2% of surgeons are doing that.

(It does suck that surgeons are making less than Anes =309k. But the study seems flawed. It lists plastic surgeons as making mean $270,000)

what about radiology?

Its a survey given only to surgeons. However, you can bet that the diagnosticians are probably netting more than the average surgeon, and the interventional guys are likely doubling them. Its a travesty if you ask me.

Its a survey given only to surgeons. However, you can bet that the diagnosticians are probably netting more than the average surgeon, and the interventional guys are likely doubling them. Its a travesty if you ask me.

No its not. Its given to physicians of all specialties.

here, check it out: http://www.medscape.com/sites/public/physician-comp/2012

And yes, radiologists take the #1 spot...330K is the mean.

It shows Ortho and rads tied for #1.

Interestingly, they left out certain fields like Neurosurgery and Cardiothoracic surgery which I suspect would be the real number 1 and 2.

They didn't break the data down by subspecialties either. There is a significant difference between Peds and Spine within the Ortho world, with Joints, Sports, etc. in-between.

What does everyone think the surgical salaries will bottom-out at in the next few years?

Ha, you wish. When your avg american sees any income above 100k they think its unfair. Many people just assume anything above that amount cant be made legally. Even if it is made legally, you should "share the wealth." It doesn't matter the decade of training and education it took to get to that income.
+pity+

Ha, you wish. When your avg american sees any income above 100k they think its unfair. Many people just assume anything above that amount cant be made legally. Even if it is made legally, you should "share the wealth." It doesn't matter the decade of training and education it took to get to that income.
+pity+

lol. So I guess salaries will bottom out at about 99K or so for all physicians.

The downward pressure continues.