Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Medscape + Epocrates(free) vs. Lexi Comp

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by shaq786, 04.14.10.

1. shaq786

shaq786 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I want to go with the combination of Medscape + Epocrates(free) on rotations over Lexi-Complete

Is this going to be enough? Thoughts?

2. p-rog

p-rog Junior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm probably going to do the same. Lexi-comp is ridiculously expensive. I might buy an ipod touch and just jailbreak it though.

3. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun Gold Donor

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 5+ Year Member
    [​IMG]

4. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Army SDN 7+ Year Member

Micromedex is badass and is free (through your school)... Do NOT, under any circumstance, us epocrates as a compendia - it is crap and you will look like a fool when you dose a medication wrong.

LexiComp is great if you have the money.

5. Sparda29

Pharmacist
    You don't need the money, just get the pirated version.

6. aboveliquidice

Pharmacist
    This site does not condone piracy... But there are plenty of resources to be had in that arena. Most people haven't a clue how to continue in the wake of a dead appulous.

7. pinkpillowzz

pinkpillowzz

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    for iphone/ipod..

epocrates sucks. medscape sucks too. i had both .. the interface is not really good (compared to lexi) and its not as complete as lexi in terms of information.

i jailbroke my iphone and got lexi-complete for free. its amazing. simply really amazing. its thorough, its comprehensive, its easy to use, and its trust worthy. no, its not worth $300 a year, but the people who make it think it is. it gets updated on a daily basis.

if you cannot jailbreak your iphone/ipod, use whatever is out there.. whatever is free .. but remember, you can't rely on these free sources because the information may be incomplete or wrong.

lexi, to me, is trustworthy, but of course you don't trust only one source and always check a few. i did a rotation at beth israel mc in nyc, and lexi seems to be the standard that physicians use there. i trust it.

8. ClinPharm2B

ClinPharm2B

Pharmacist
    Interesting that you would say epocrates is crap and that it has wrong dosing, when that's not what the literature says. I have looked into the literature and not only did epocrates perform the best in handheld drug interactions [Ann Pharmacother 2006;40:850.], but, in a literature review, it was the only handheld compendium to NOT have any errors found, including Lexi [ACPE CE 2008. Pharmacists: Are Your Drug Information Databases Accurate?]. Of course, epocrates doesn't get deep into pharmacology or pharmacokinetics. But, for dosing and drug interactions, I trust it more.

9. clachan3

clachan3 Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I have Epocrates, but I like Lexi-comp a lot more. Lexi-comp is easier to use for me. I guess it's just personal preference and I bought so I should use it. It's expensive, but you'll be able to afford it. It's like work expenses that I am willing to pay. Oh, that reminded me to update my files ;) I think Epocrates should be enough for rotations, I've never tried Medscape though :luck:

10. Apteka

Apteka Senior Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    PLEASE do not use Epocrates (i know it's free- but have you seen their editorial board? I think ONE pharmacist is on there) and refer to it to other pharmacists (me) as your reference...

I had a pharmacist INSIST that hydrocodone/APAP did NOT exist in 2.5mg/500mg dose because she "didn't see in on Epocrates".

UGH. What made it worse, she told the DOCTOR (who had previously called ME to check what doses existed, yeah, i know, old school) that it didn't exist- when I had an entire BOTTLE sitting in front of me under the "H" section.....

I'd get Lexi-comp. The PDA version is LESS than $150/year and well worth your money. All you need is the Drug Database and the Lexi-Interact database. Forego the dental, infectious disease, and genomics databases if $$$ is the issue.

It's super lame-o that the chains don't pay for subscriptions for their employees (insert HILARIOUS LAUGH HERE, pshaw, as if) but considering how many times a day I refer to it, it's well worth the subscription cost.

11. Sparda29

Pharmacist
    Actually, most chains have their own databases of pharmacology and dosing forms available.

Can you all please stop telling people to BUY the software? JAILBREAK!

12. ClinPharm2B

ClinPharm2B

Pharmacist
    http://www.epocrates.com/company/content/editors.html

Looks like most of their editorial department are PharmDs.

13. aboveliquidice

Pharmacist
    That was an interesting read... You can find it linked here: LINK

There are several issues with the study listed. Primarily - Your interpretation is wrong relating errors... All of the databases listed in this thread contained errors, including both premium and free version of epocrates. I'm not sure where you were reading there were no errors... maybe you could post up a link (the linked study clearly states which databases had errors, 37 total were found). As to epocrates doing the best on PDA's... that article referenced is from 2006. I'm pretty sure the scope of PDA databases has changed since then.

Secondly, ACPE is not considered an authority on anything except ensuring pharmacy schools meet a minimum criteria to be certified. Note that does not include informatics. It's great they can provide CEs - but I would certainly question the source in this case.

On a personal note, during a practical application exam during my P2 yr - I used epocrates to dose an HIV antivral medication (not sure which one). The dose listed in epocrates was roughly half that listed in micromedex and lexicomp. I wasn't knocked for it, but my informatics professor caught me in the hall afterward.

I did find a study from 2007 published in BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. LINK

It draws a different conclusion than those listed in the ACPE CE, however it is older and is less extensive. It does develop a composite score. Definitely compare the scores between epocrates free version to lexi comp (note most people will be using the free version of epocrates on the iphone).

14. Apteka

Apteka Senior Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    um..... no, I won't. If you can figure out how to get pirated software, all the power to you, but realise that these databases cost money for a reason. they're worth it. Also, these drug databases get updated pretty regularly.

... The pharmacist who insisted 2.5/500 didn't exist worked for an independent pharmacy, so I have no idea what database she has at her disposal.

On the epocrates link you listed, I see 8 Pharmacist's names. Their business model is COMPLETELY different than that of other databases.
    Epocrates has its perks, but for clinical knowledge, I'd go with Lexi.

15. that1guy

that1guy that1guy

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I've got Lexi-Complete, which I paid for at a discounted student rate, and I think it's worth it. I'll definitely keep it for another year at the full rate because I think it's that valuable. I use the Lexi-Drugs, Lexi-Calc, Harrisons, Stedman's Medical Abbreviations and Dictionary, Lab and Diagnostic Procedures...basically, I use it alot. I use the Harrison's constantly because often times on rotation the question isn't, "What dose of this drug for this indication?" Instead I get questions like, "Here's the diagnosis, now what do I give them?" You can't answer that question with Epocrates free version.

I've got Epocrates, and it's okay, but Lexi-Drugs format is faster and easier to use and it is definitely more thorough.

16. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar

Medical Student
    If you can get internet from your smartphone, I would use just dailymed and [email protected]. It contains the same information as the information found on lexi-comp and epocrates. Also, you can't be sued for using the information found there as it's based on the government.

:laugh:

17. rXcmoney

rXcmoney

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Anyone here a fan of clinical pharmacology?

18. jbrph

jbrph

MD/PhD Student
    How about MPR? Its free for smart phones too, written by pharmacists and I see the print edition everywhere I go (PAs and NPs seem to get their own version?).

Anyone using this?

19. ClinPharm2B

ClinPharm2B

Pharmacist
    Sorry. It was a Peak & Girt study in which Epocrates was the only database not to have contained any errors. [Pharmacotherapy 2005;25:1431.] I had my studies mixed up.

Regarding your comment about the drug interaction article being from 2006, not only is it the most recent article on the topic that I have found, but I can't imagine that any of the databases have completely revamped their entire drug interaction content since then. Even if they had, what makes you think that makes this study invalid? It is the best drug interaction database study I have read and I believe I have read them all, since that is my field. And, if all the databases continue to advance, chances are better that 4 years later, the database that started in the lead will still be in the lead, unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Regardless, when it comes to drug interactions, I generally check more than one source, especially if I'm suspicious. But, one of those sources if almost always Epocrates.

20. ClinPharm2B

ClinPharm2B

Pharmacist
    I love CP. But, only when I'm researching a more in-depth question. It's not conducive to quick referencing, so you will want something that is easier for when you need a quicker answer.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal