Medscape Lifestyle Survey 2016: EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

I realize we have varying opinions about Medscape surveys, but I figured there might be some interesting comments to what they published. The 2016 lifestyle survey was posted a week ago, and I just now saw it.

Public link: http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/lifestyle/2016/public/overview (login and switch to EM for EM-centric results)

As always, the "burned out" results had us tied at the top for "most burned out" -- but then near the bottom for severity of burnout. Not trying to turn this into another burnout thread. Whatever.

More interestingly, relative happiness:
- Outside of work: EM was #6 of 25 at 63% (nephrology, #1, at 68%; critical care, #25, at 50%)
- At work: EM was #21 of 25 at 27% (derm, #1, at 39%; IM, #25, at 24%)

Some results about biases and some other odds and ends in there.

I'm not a huge proponent of their surveys, but they're worth a read.

Discuss. Or not.

Members don't see this ad.

For me they are all so close for almost all of the metrics it really doesn't say anything significant.

For me they are all so close for almost all of the metrics it really doesn't say anything significant.

Basically my thoughts on it.

Additionally EM has an issue no other field has... the majority (if the priorn trend still holds) of the physicians out there in our field were not trained in our field, but are grandfathered or just plain "look the other way" situations. These polls are based on your self identified field of practice not your formal training. I do not know the specific methods used by mescape beyond that, but there is a feeling that as the majority becomes EM trained and eentually nearly 100% are EM trained.... that the dissatisfaction and burnout numbers will drop.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically my thoughts on it.

Additionally EM has an issue no other field has... the majority (if the priorn trend still holds) of the physicians out there in our field were not trained in our field, but are grandfathered or just plain "look the other way" situations. These polls are based on your self identified field of practice not your formal training. I do not know the specific methods used by mescape beyond that, but there is a feeling that as the majority becomes EM trained and eentually nearly 100% are EM trained.... that the dissatisfaction and burnout numbers will drop.

People keep saying that...